The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

EPAS Stimulator and steering angle data

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Exp. Type
Time Attack
Exp. Level
5-10 Years
CA
I`ll be adding either the Cortex or Racecarservice EPAS stimulator to keep the steering rack working without the stock ECU.
Is it possible to maintain some kind of data feed about the steering angle? Would certainly be nice not to loose that data.

What data system do you run? Does it have CAN Bus OUTPUT? I've made my steering rack function without connection to OEM ABS and ECU. What ECU are you going too?

Exp. Type
Time Attack
Exp. Level
5-10 Years
CA
Gen3 Control Pack ECU, which does not support the electric rack. Thus the stimulator.
I am collecting data using a Race Capture system. I am not sure about if it can output can though. But it´s easy to hook up can1 or can2 with different baud rates though.

Which stimulator did you end up using?

No Stimulator necessary, just need to send the right info. I used AIM to test functions before going to a standalone ECU.

Does Cortex's stimulator adjust for speed? or just turn it on/off, and level of assist is the same all the time?

With a second CAN Bus you could add a connection from the race capture to the rack/stimulator bus and use the standard steering angle address.

No Stimulator necessary, just need to send the right info. I used AIM to test functions before going to a standalone ECU.

Does Cortex's stimulator adjust for speed? or just turn it on/off, and level of assist is the same all the time?

With a second CAN Bus you could add a connection from the race capture to the rack/stimulator bus and use the standard steering angle address.

Super interesting AJ. Are you able to elaborate what it took for you to operate your rack with your stand-alone Ecu? Or what type of canbus data the rack needs to wake up?

My understanding is that the Cortex stimulator does not adjust assist.

Last edited:
Exp. Type
Time Attack
Exp. Level
5-10 Years
CA

Gotcha. No my ECU can’t do that. My data system can do some basic outputs but I’m not sure if that’s compatible. I will have to dig into that.

I honestly was not aware there is any adjust to the assist based on speed. I’m running a Boss ABS module and the Boss rack, so everything is automatically in track mode anyways.

This is a tricky discussion. I spent a lot of time and money figuring out what goes where and what is use, so I'm not going to share the details freely. I also have a method for how I do things. This is tricky in the sense that you've already purchased something that may not be able to do what is needed so more hardware is required.

Does the Control pack have an RPM Output for gauges or tach?

Exp. Type
Time Attack
Exp. Level
5-10 Years
CA
I don´t have it powered up yet, but from how I understand the control pack is a slimmed down version of the Gen3 wiring harness incl. ECU. So it should provide all the usual OBD2 data. I am still digging through it at this point though.
That said, if the Boss302S rack is consistent and does not change behavior based on speed I am a happy camper already. Else wise I´d certainly be interested in more info.

TMO Supporting Vendors

Buy TMO Apparel

Buy TMO Apparel