The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

FORD-OWNED DEALSHIP ASKING $20k OVER MSRP

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

I just came from a dealership that is a Ford corporate owned dealership - not privately owned like most dealerships. They are asking $20,000 over sticker. This is obscene, but even more so because it is a Ford owned dealership. I understand that Ford has little ability to prevent this by its private dealers, but why would Ford corporate do this itself? I have already ordered my Boss at a different privately owned dealership at MSRP, and have a friend who wants one. So I asked the manager if he would take $5,000 over MSRP and he refused - won't budge lower than $20,000 over sticker, even though I showed him a number of current EBAY listings with Buy it Now prices at $5,000 over MSRP. Ford should be ashamed. I wonder if the big boys in Michigan actually know.

Some dealers have used ADM as a method to NOT sell a special car - the (not intended for sale) car is used to create showroom traffic, and ultimately sell other cars.

Covert Ford in Austin, TX is looking for "offers over sticker" but would not specify a price. I don't begrudge them making what they can, but I don't like people wasting my time and it took three visits to the dealer before I realized I couldn't deal with them. All they had to do was say what they wanted, but they wanted to play it old-school. This is a huge dealership and they have only sold two non-LS cars, so I know they have several cars left including at least one LS. Just know what you are walking into.

Jimmy

Some dealers will certainly try for ADM for a while. They know they can sell them for MSRP, so the idea is to throw out something ridiculous to start with and see if anyone is desperate or wealthy enough to pay it. Plus the increase in showroom traffic as pointed out elsewhere is a fringe benefit.

If they don't sell it after a month or two, they'll lower the ADM until it sells. If someone has been watching that car for a few months and finally comes in one day and says "I'll give you $5k over sticker" thinking its a bargain compared to $20K, $15K, $10K they have previously seen, the dealer still makes out. In summer of 2012 I wouldn't be surprised if some deals are actually made on 2013 models. There are only so many folks willing to shell out over $40 large for a toy. A really nice Bullitt in my town started out at $5500 ADM in spring of 2008 and ended up selling for $28K that fall after the economy tanked and Ford started handing out employee pricing again.

As a former CA resident, it doesn't surprise me at all that thes SoCal dealers are hitting the floor with Boss 302 ADMS.

GA
I had a deal worked out with my dealer for 1K over because I have a good relationship with them (they are usually asking 5K over). I was not willing to pay over MSRP but I was willing to bend a little since you get a track day at MMP. I fell a little short on the financial end so I had to let it go and they got 5K over for it. They are supposed to get a couple more so I will try again next time.

You may very well come out better in the long run by waiting (yes waiting is a dirty word). These things usually work out. Even my dealer wouldn't initially commit to MSRP last year when I wanted to place my order. I told him that wasn't a good way to treat a repeat customer and that my wife was beginnning to look for an Escape. After a day or so he agreed to MSRP and we did, indeed, buy a 2011 Escape from him in January. What goes around comes around. Besides, as much as I wanted the Boss, I didn't want it so bad I'd agree to pay over MSRP to get it. If ultimately they would have refused to sell at MSRP, I figured I wasn't meant to have a Boss right now. I'd just keep enjoying my modded '07 V6 and my HOG and see what I might be able to do in the future.

Someone on this forum I think said their dealer had a new GT 500 at sticker or maybe a bit less and couldn't move it. Unless all the 2012 Bosses sell out (probably not likely), there will continue to be opportunities to get one at a reasonable cost I would think.

GA
jimprw said:
You may very well come out better in the long run by waiting (yes waiting is a dirty word). These things usually work out. Even my dealer wouldn't initially commit to MSRP last year when I wanted to place my order. I told him that wasn't a good way to treat a repeat customer and that my wife was beginnning to look for an Escape. After a day or so he agreed to MSRP and we did, indeed, buy a 2011 Escape from him in January. What goes around comes around. Besides, as much as I wanted the Boss, I didn't want it so bad I'd agree to pay over MSRP to get it. If ultimately they would have refused to sell at MSRP, I figured I wasn't meant to have a Boss right now. I'd just keep enjoying my modded '07 V6 and my HOG and see what I might be able to do in the future.

Someone on this forum I think said their dealer had a new GT 500 at sticker or maybe a bit less and couldn't move it. Unless all the 2012 Bosses sell out (probably not likely), there will continue to be opportunities to get one at a reasonable cost I would think.

+1. It is difficult but I promised myself that I would not pay over MSRP, so I will wait (and kind of have to anyway). I bought my Bullitt at MSRP and then watched people buy them for thousands less 6 months to a year later. I know that things will settle down to MSRP but wouldn't expect to do any better than that unless Ford makes them plan eligible, the enonomy tanks hard again, or the demand falls off a cliff.

I still have a great car to enjoy even if I don't get one.

Although this is an older thread, I did want to add to it. I purchased my competition orange/black Boss at a dealership in Delaware for $1500 over sticker with a trade thrown in the deal. The trade amount basically made it so they were selling it to me at sticker because I paid $10k for my truck a year ago and I put 10,000 miles on it and they showed me $11,500 on paper. So I paid $1500 over, but I got $1500 more for my truck, so call it a wash. I posted here because the dealer was asking $20k over in my situation, but after two hours of negotiating (ridiculous) I made out well. I do worry that over the winter months you will be able to grab one for less than sticker, because so many stupid dealers have them on the showroom for so much over sticker that they scared potential buyers away during the prime selling months. I guess only time will tell...

You just have to find the right dealer to work with you. Originally the dealership that is selling me mine wanted $3000 over MSRP, but then I told them I could get one for $1000 over at a nearby dealership.

After talking awhile on the phone, he understood how serious I was about buying and he worked out a good deal in my eyes. They came down to match the $1000 ADM price of the other dealership but really wanted to sell me the car.......so they deducted the price of my plane ticket to come get it.

The rest now is history.

GA
weavertime1 said:
Although this is an older thread, I did want to add to it. I purchased my competition orange/black Boss at a dealership in Delaware for $1500 over sticker with a trade thrown in the deal. The trade amount basically made it so they were selling it to me at sticker because I paid $10k for my truck a year ago and I put 10,000 miles on it and they showed me $11,500 on paper. So I paid $1500 over, but I got $1500 more for my truck, so call it a wash. I posted here because the dealer was asking $20k over in my situation, but after two hours of negotiating (ridiculous) I made out well. I do worry that over the winter months you will be able to grab one for less than sticker, because so many stupid dealers have them on the showroom for so much over sticker that they scared potential buyers away during the prime selling months. I guess only time will tell...

You are probably right that if the 2012 Bosses are still on lots by mid-winter or spring people will get deals, and even plan pricing and incentives, especially the way this economy is going. That happened to me a few years ago when I bought my 2008 Bullitt; I bought it at MSRP and with no incentives, and 6 months later I could have saved several thousand. But, I got my car new off the showroom floor with not test drive miles or lot rot. You just have to look at it as you are paying a premium to get it brand spanking new, and to have more time to enjoy it, so just forget about the money. You can find some now at a fair price if you shop around and are willing to travel to get it.

There are LOTS of stock orders that have recently or are about to be built. There will soon be plenty of in-stock cars to choose from, which should help prices a lot. Hopefully there will be some movement in about a month or so.

GA
PTRocks said:
There are LOTS of stock orders that have recently or are about to be built. There will soon be plenty of in-stock cars to choose from, which should help prices a lot. Hopefully there will be some movement in about a month or so.

Typically the best time to shop is at that end of the month, better at the end of a quarter, and best at the end of the year in December. I have found that dealers are especially flexible at these times.

Dealers love the smoke and mirrors! They like the traffic.... my Boss arrives next week (i hope) and even with a hefty down payment, plates in hand and financing in place (through the dealer) it is still advertised on Autotrader. They just want the opportunity to sell you something. In general most people are easily convinced of what they need and not what they want. bahhh bahhh

I was told up front by my dealer J.O. Williams in Gladewater, Texas they were going to ask over MSRP, but did not know how much.
This was 1/11, the BOSS was ordered 3/11, and I previously bought an 04 Mach 1 new, and got a good deal except trade in allowance. I traded my 04 Mach 1 with only 11k miles on it, never in weather to get the Boss which arrived 7/3/11.
J.O. was only dealer in our area to win lottery, I had called three other local dealers, and they were not getting one.
I could kick myself for not fighting harder but my dealer said he had three dealers waiting on me to turn down his offer. I paid 3k above sticker, and he only gave me 14,500 for Mach 1.
SAD BUT I GOT MY 2ND BOSS 302.
I owned a 1970 Boss with 57k original miles on it, and had to sell it.
Promised myself I would own one more before I passed on....LOL well the BANK, AND I NOW DO. ::) :'(

jec246

Asking 20k over for a standard BOSS. Told me it would be cheaper to get a decked out GT500! HAHA!

Huntsville, AL Landers McLarty Jeep Ford

Prestige Ford in Dallas, TX was asking 6k over for a Standard BOSS.

Long-Lewis Ford in Muscle Shoals, AL is only asking 3k over.

TMO Supporting Vendors