The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

Good morning Watkins Glen

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Exp. Type
Time Attack
Exp. Level
Under 3 Years
Bulgaria
I’m no expert. But looks like complete brake failure. That was hard to watch
It looked like a drivers mistake as the car was accelerating like on full power. This are manual cars shouldn't a clutch make the car at least stop accelerating. I think driver panicked and hit both brakes and gas might be wrong though. But brakes usually don't fail like this though with brake by wire who knows.

Exp. Type
W2W Racing
Exp. Level
5-10 Years
Delaware
It looked like a drivers mistake as the car was accelerating like on full power. This are manual cars shouldn't a clutch make the car at least stop accelerating. I think driver panicked and hit both brakes and gas might be wrong though. But brakes usually don't fail like this though with brake by wire who knows.
It did seem to be maybe accelerating still. But we’re purely speculating.

Exp. Type
Time Attack
Exp. Level
Under 3 Years
Bulgaria
It did seem to be maybe accelerating still. But we’re purely speculating.
True but even the commentators mentioned that is not uncommon for drivers to continue hitting the acceleration in 3 pedal cars. As I said even with brakes failiure a clutch would helped for at least not been a full power impact. Though amazing this Mustangs are so strong ! Also a great example of why we the track rats need to work on our in car safety systems (or maybe is just me still running with stock seats and belts).

In the V6L
I didn't see this incident, but it's possible the driver was left-foot braking, a technique that involves keeping the throttle pressed and generating power while using the brakes to manage speed. It's hard on brakes but it's supposed to be a good strategy for speed. Street cars specifically have a cutout in the ECU to prevent it (so you don't accidentally drive your car over a family member and through the garage wall) but race cars don't need it.

We had an issue at the green, looks like someone missed a shift up front and one of our guys got turned into the wall. Wrote off the car, driver in hospital.
Not sure what happened to the runaway car, looks like stuck throttle, lucky he didn't take the other guy with him.
Almost 3/4 of a lap of green flag racing.
What a cluster.
Meantime quallied 15th in GS. A TCR would've quallied #2. They have choked GS to death.

Exp. Type
Time Attack
Exp. Level
Under 3 Years
Bulgaria
We had an issue at the green, looks like someone missed a shift up front and one of our guys got turned into the wall. Wrote off the car, driver in hospital.
Not sure what happened to the runaway car, looks like stuck throttle, lucky he didn't take the other guy with him.
What a cluster.
Meantime quallied 15th in GS. A TCR would've quallied #2. They have choked GS to death.

I was very sorry to see the Kohr car into the wall. Hope the driver is ok !

What a cluster.
Christian is not having any luck with his cars. Man, I just watched the other several times. Freaking bizarre. You see an inside move and all you hear and see is full throttle. Glad both are ok! Jim from Chin in his driver's meeting always says the wet grass adds an extra 100 hp. Definitely evident in that accident.

TMO Supporting Vendors