The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

Help with wheel and spacer fitment with APEX EC-7/ET52

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
3-5 Years
Canada
Hi,

I am looking for advice.

I just tried fitting my new APEX 18X11 wheels (EC-7 ET52) with 315 tires with a 25mm spacer, and sadly it does not fit in front on my car (S550). There is very hard contact with the strut.

I have Ford Performance struts and BMR handling springs. I am not sure if that is the cause of the problem, but something must be different on my car as this wheel and tire setup is recommended by APEX.

Anyway, I have played around with washers and determined that an additional 5-6 mm would give me the clearance I need (so, a 30mm spacer). But, with an extra 5-6mm I am not getting the min thread engagement (I do have the extended studs). I calculated a min=9.33 and I am only getting a little over 8 turns if I add 5mm to the spacer.

I really don't know what to do next. Any suggestions would be very much appreciated.

Thanks,
J.P.B.

Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
Under 3 Years
MD
Hi,

I am looking for advice.

I just tried fitting my new APEX 18X11 wheels (EC-7 ET52) with 315 tires with a 25mm spacer, and sadly it does not fit in front on my car (S550). There is very hard contact with the strut.

I have Ford Performance struts and BMR handling springs. I am not sure if that is the cause of the problem, but something must be different on my car as this wheel and tire setup is recommended by APEX.

Anyway, I have played around with washers and determined that an additional 5-6 mm would give me the clearance I need (so, a 30mm spacer). But, with an extra 5-6mm I am not getting the min thread engagement (I do have the extended studs). I calculated a min=9.33 and I am only getting a little over 8 turns if I add 5mm to the spacer.

I really don't know what to do next. Any suggestions would be very much appreciated.

Thanks,
J.P.B.
I have the same dampers and spring. Interesting note on the strut contact. The only fix I can think about is getting GT4 or the full thread length studs from OP Mustang to fit a larger spacer

Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
20+ Years
Charlotte
I have the same dampers and spring. Interesting note on the strut contact. The only fix I can think about is getting GT4 or the full thread length studs from OP Mustang to fit a larger spacer

That’s the exact combo I’m running. Perfect fit.

Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
Under 3 Years
MD
Also I just want to add that there was a time I wanted more clearance with my 305 tires so I tried to see if I could fit a 28mm spacer. I stacked a 25mm and 3mm spacer but wasn’t comfortable with the amount of thread engagement. This was on ARP 100-7733 studs.

Hi,

I am looking for advice.

Thanks,
J.P.B.

Run a 31mm spacer which gives you 6mm additionally over a 25. Our studs provide plenty of spacer capacity.

Do you have camber set at the knuckle? This will change your tire to strut clearance.

Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
3-5 Years
Canada
Thanks everyone, this is all VERY helpful.

For reference, the tires are Nitto NTO1 and camber is set at the knuckle.

A question for OPMustang Tim... A complication is that I live in Canada; Does your shipping restrictions include Canada? (Many thanks for the specific suggestions!)

Last edited:
Exp. Type
HPDE
CT
Does anyone know if you can install 14mm studs in an s197 hub? I’ll be running a 31mm spacer as well and the arp studs I have are going to be too short

Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
Under 3 Years
MD
Didn't realize you had camber bolts. Yea that is most likely your issue.

Do you have camber plates also? If not, I guess you can decide if you want to switch to plates and keep your studs or switch to longer studs and keep the camber bolts. At least longer studs allows you to play with different set ups in the future.

xr7

TMO Addict?
Exp. Type
Autocross
Exp. Level
10-20 Years
Minnesota
Does anyone know if you can install 14mm studs in an s197 hub? I’ll be running a 31mm spacer as well and the arp studs I have are going to be too short
14mm on a S197 will require you to drill out the hubs OR use the S550 hubs have 14mm studs. if I recall correctly the S550 hubs will fit on the S197, fronts only, of course, you would need to drill out the rear axles or replace the axles to run 14mm studs on the rear.

Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
3-5 Years
Canada
Didn't realize you had camber bolts. Yea that is most likely your issue.

Do you have camber plates also? If not, I guess you can decide if you want to switch to plates and keep your studs or switch to longer studs and keep the camber bolts. At least longer studs allows you to play with different set ups in the future.
Got it. It's good to know the cause of the problem.

I have only camber bolts, as I am getting -2.5 with them alone. I need to think a little now (I can install the longer studs, but I can't install camber plants on my own); but, it's good to have options.

Thanks.

Last edited:
Got it. It's good to know the cause of the problem.

I have only camber bolts, as I am getting -2.5 with them alone. I need to think a little now (I can install the longer studs, but I can't install camber plants on my own); but, it's good to have options.

Thanks.

You can definitely install camber plates on your own - little more work than camber bolts but infinitely better (and safer) solution for camber adjustment.

TMO Supporting Vendors

Buy TMO Apparel

Buy TMO Apparel