The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

HSCAN wire location?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
Under 3 Years
United States
Does anyone on here know where I can tap into the highspeed CAN wires on a 2015 Mustang GT? I've got a transmission controller that uses CAN data such as TPS and RPM and needs to be tapped into a CAN High and CAN low wires.

There are 3 HS CAN buses. HS1 is accessible through OBDII connector. The harness to APIM module has HS1 and HS3 if cutting wires is ok for you.

Here is schematic of the modules and buses:

IMG_2162.png

Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
Under 3 Years
United States
Here are pins of APIM harness:

View attachment 90733
Thank you for the diagrams. Unfortunately I wasn't able to use the the CAN data from the car to get the inputs the transmission controller needs, so I had to go analog. I've got the TPS and MAP sensor working perfectly just need RPM. I tried using a coil pack wire for RPM but the controller was having a hard time reading actual RPM, It would fluctuate all over the place randomly. I'm leaning towards pulling rpm from a camshaft position sensor. Any advice for trying to make this work?

Thank you for the diagrams. Unfortunately I wasn't able to use the the CAN data from the car to get the inputs the transmission controller needs, so I had to go analog. I've got the TPS and MAP sensor working perfectly just need RPM. I tried using a coil pack wire for RPM but the controller was having a hard time reading actual RPM, It would fluctuate all over the place randomly. I'm leaning towards pulling rpm from a camshaft position sensor. Any advice for trying to make this work?
Sadly, but can’t help with the analog area. In case you still have any hope in CAN messages, here’s my discovery of them: https://github.com/v-ivanyshyn/parse_can_logs/blob/master/Ford CAN IDs Summary.md

Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
Under 3 Years
United States
IMG_4430.png
I honestly don't know much of anything about canbus but here's their canbus receiving data list. Maybe you can make some sense of what that stuff means

Is RPM value only available on HS3 or can it be viewed from HS1as well?
On ID 0x204 it's on both HS1 and HS3. On 0x109 it's on HS3 only.
So, if you take ID 0x204, the formula would be (byte3 * 256 + byte4) * 2. On that screenshot you posted above it looks like they accept two bytes for RPM in the same way, but still unclear how to multiply it by 2 according to the formula.

Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
Under 3 Years
United States
So, if you take ID 0x204, the formula would be (byte3 * 256 + byte4) * 2. On that screenshot you posted above it looks like they accept two bytes for RPM in the same way, but still unclear how to multiply it by 2 according to the formula.
I'll have to speak with the support staff for my controller to see if the can incorporate these values or not. You've been a great deal of help I'll keep you posted weather this works or not.

Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
Under 3 Years
United States
Are these values going to be the same for a manual GT? I noticed the github article you made was for a 6r80. My car orignally was a 6 speed manual and has the stock ecu

Are these values going to be the same for a manual GT? I noticed the github article you made was for a 6r80. My car orignally was a 6 speed manual and has the stock ecu
Yes. As a rule the values under the same CAN ID are the same across all the variants of the car. In general, in automatic version may be present some IDs dedicated to it's gearbox, but it would be some edge cases, as far as for other specific features depending on the car configuration...

Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
Under 3 Years
United States
Yes. As a rule the values under the same CAN ID are the same across all the variants of the car. In general, in automatic version may be present some IDs dedicated to it's gearbox, but it would be some edge cases, as far as for other specific features depending on the car configuration...
Ok thank you

TMO Supporting Vendors