The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

(Ideal) Tow Hook locations

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
3-5 Years
Acworth, GA
Hey y'all,
Seeing as how most Google search results for 'foxbody tow hook install' comes back with something that is 98% of the time drag-chassis related, I figured I would ask if any forum members here have a preferred location/method for mounting their tow hooks for road racing before I go full steam ahead into cutting bumper covers, and if there are alternate/better mount locations than the factory crash bars.

Any input/feedback is appreciated...if this post goes unanswered and the view count climbs, then I'll take it that everyone came here with hopes that I was providing the answer to my thread title...which means I'll figure it out and share it here, naturally.

Exp. Type
Autocross
Exp. Level
5-10 Years
Virginia
Sorry I don't have any direct answers for you. But make sure to think about a mounting location that is secure and transmit force into the frame. Thinking about how much force could go into the connection if the car is stuck or missing a wheel. I think the crash bar is acceptable but make sure your hardware or mounting is up to the task.

Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
3-5 Years
Acworth, GA
Sorry I don't have any direct answers for you. But make sure to think about a mounting location that is secure and transmit force into the frame. Thinking about how much force could go into the connection if the car is stuck or missing a wheel. I think the crash bar is acceptable but make sure your hardware or mounting is up to the task.

Agreed. Mostly concerned about the mount and ensuring it will be in a solid place that can withstand that kind of acute pull force if needed. I'm not wild about the idea of cutting a hole into the bumper, but I may not have a choice. Ideally, I'd like it to mount as close as I can to where the crash bar bolts to the car.

Exp. Type
Autocross
Exp. Level
5-10 Years
Virginia
Yea makes sense. The front bumper as least on my SN95 only has two bolts on each side holding it to the frame. I can't recall the rear at the moment. I have a tube front bumper that I welded a threaded bolt pad into. I then also have the tow strap warp around the bumper so that the force goes into the bumper instead of just to the single bolt.

I think a single drilled hole in the bumper would get ripped out during extreme towing/recovery. Unless a large washer or plate was used to help distribute the force.

Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
3-5 Years
Acworth, GA
Agreed. It's a universal hook with two mount holes and I plan to include a strap to tie in the backside of whatever I mount it to. I figured I'd put it out there for anyone who may have an existing solution, but I think I'll be able to get something pulled together (no pun intended).

Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
3-5 Years
Acworth, GA
Looks like it does the job...since I'm running a standard crash bar I'm going to be limited with my options and after inspecting the way the bumper mounts to the chassis, I'm almost positive I'm going to have to cut into the front bumper cover. I had hoped to have some material down low to mount underneath the bumper cover but the nearest metal is the radiator support and even where it ties into the unibody I'm not sure it's going to be strong enough. That metal is *super* thin and we all know foxbody's have the chassis strength of a wet noodle...

Exp. Type
Time Attack
Exp. Level
20+ Years
Melbourne Australia
Spotted this thread after replying to another similar. Might want to have a quick read of it, it is S550 related but may have some ideas as well as plenty of photos. Plenty of concerns about strength and safety and mounting arrangements.

Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
3-5 Years
Acworth, GA
Thank you for the link! I'll get to reading it now...and as others stated earlier, my main concern is to ensure that it's mounted with proper hardware but also in a way that it's not going to cause further damage to the car if it's being used.

EDIT: That thread is actually what came up on the Google search last night, which led to me registering on this forum, haha.

A bit of a personal note, but my professional background is in aerospace structural maintenance/assembly. I'm not a structural engineer and will never claim as much, but with that foundational knowledge of seeing things break due to fatigue and/or acute stress, I tend to really put some effort into how attachments get mounted and realizing where the stress is going to occur...case in point, yes, there is tension applied to the eye of the tow hook, but if it's mounted at a convenient angle instead of proper/safe angle, then the risk increases of the mount failing. I'm sure I'm preaching to the choir, but that's just a bit of my perspective on wanting to see what others have utilized in their street cars.

Last edited:
Exp. Type
Time Attack
Exp. Level
20+ Years
Melbourne Australia
Thank you for the link! I'll get to reading it now...and as others stated earlier, my main concern is to ensure that it's mounted with proper hardware but also in a way that it's not going to cause further damage to the car if it's being used.

EDIT: That thread is actually what came up on the Google search last night, which led to me registering on this forum, haha.

A bit of a personal note, but my professional background is in aerospace structural maintenance/assembly. I'm not a structural engineer and will never claim as much, but with that foundational knowledge of seeing things break due to fatigue and/or acute stress, I tend to really put some effort into how attachments get mounted and realizing where the stress is going to occur...case in point, yes, there is tension applied to the eye of the tow hook, but if it's mounted at a convenient angle instead of proper/safe angle, then the risk increases of the mount failing. I'm sure I'm preaching to the choir, but that's just a bit of my perspective on wanting to see what others have utilized in their street cars.
I'm an electrician, well that the official qualification but design switchboards. If you have a logical and inquisitive mind then you tend to end up researching and understanding what is happening. Official qualifications are for resumes. I think most of the guys on this forum have a background of finding what works and how can it be improved.
Welcome to the forum. It has proved invaluable to me also. Happy deep diving into all the things you didn't know you could find out about.

Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
3-5 Years
Acworth, GA
Well...it's a start. Decided to use a short length of steel u-channel extrusion to the bumper mount on the chassis side and have the tow hook bolted to it. Not exactly wild about 5/16" bolts for hardware, but they're Grade 8. Required minimal trimming of the front bumper cover, and the plan is to weld the extrusion to the chassis. Will likely do a pull test with a come-along tied into my F-250, haha.

Tow hook is a universal piece from Allstar/Summit. Finding a strong mount point was paramount, but staying in alignment with NASA's CCR was the main goal. Glad to see it's accessible but not protruding at all.

20240303_200609.jpg

TMO Supporting Vendors

Buy TMO Apparel

Buy TMO Apparel