The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

iRacing help

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Recently bought a G27 steering, pedal, and shifter set and subscribed to iRacing. I am trying to learn Road Atlanta before taking my BOSS there. The closest thing iRacing has to the BOSS is an FR500C, I think. My questions?
1. Is there a better iRacing car for me to use as practice?
2. What is the best setup to use at Barber, and Road Atlanta?
3. Most importantly -- what is a setup that will degrade the race car (FR500c) to behave more like a street BOSS? (Something like softening up the shocks and going up, or down on the tire pressure, or ???)
Thanks.
-- Jim

steveespo

Lord knows I'm a Voodoo Child
Exp. Type
W2W Racing
Exp. Level
10-20 Years
Cookeville TN
Jim
Just drive the FR500 with fixed setup. It is very close to Boss performance with Contis. More power for the Boss, a little more grip with the FR500. iRacing is an excellent tool for learning the tracks, lines, brake points etc. With a decent FF wheel the motions and feedback really mirror what is needed in real life. When you compete in races your race craft will develop, situational awareness, off line braking and turn in, trail braking all will translate to real life. Let me know what your online name is and I would like to run some private events. Been trying to get a group together to do this for a while now.
Steve

Hi Steve,
Thanks for the info. I am a long, long way from iRacing with others on the track. Half the laps I run involve off-track excursions. If you do host some private groups I'd like to watch, though.

I must say that I'm getting familiar with the road atlanta layout and that is my main goal. Might give it a try next spring.

Oh, in my attempt to downgrade the FR500C to stock boss, i softened the shocks a bit. I actually like it better -- I do use the curbing a lot.

-- Jim

Exp. Level
10-20 Years
Michigan
steveespo said:
Jim
Just drive the FR500 with fixed setup. It is very close to Boss performance with Contis. More power for the Boss, a little more grip with the FR500. iRacing is an excellent tool for learning the tracks, lines, brake points etc. With a decent FF wheel the motions and feedback really mirror what is needed in real life. When you compete in races your race craft will develop, situational awareness, off line braking and turn in, trail braking all will translate to real life. Let me know what your online name is and I would like to run some private events. Been trying to get a group together to do this for a while now.
Steve

Steve, Looking at this before next years first trips to COTA and RA, plus more to do at VIR and the Glen....

Which wheel do you use -- looking at Logitech....

I have a Fanatec CSR wheel with pedals for use with an X Box and they work well. They also work on a PC.

http://www.fanatec.com/us-en/

TMO Supporting Vendors