The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

Look who ran with us at the Glen on Monday and Tuesday!!

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

As seen below, a few of us BMO members got to run with the Phoenix racing team at the Phoenix CMR event this past Monday and Tuesday. It was a blast!!! Granted, they showed us how slow we actually are! Those guys were flying! Once I go thru my videos, I hope to find a few clips of them passing me like I am standing still and I will get them posted. They were there testing for the Tudor race coming up this weekend.

tgjc.jpg

uvac.jpg

I'm interested in what suspension setup they run and why. Some people install hydraulics to get their front wheel that far off the ground!

steveespo

Lord knows I'm a Voodoo Child
Exp. Type
W2W Racing
Exp. Level
10-20 Years
Cookeville TN
Here is my take on the setup, you remove most or all rear roll resistance (small or no bar) the gets more weight and load transfer to the outside rear tire and takes most or all of it from the inside front. THe rear weight transfer helps the, on our platform, already overloaded (understeer) outside front tire. That helps balance the car and utilize the excess rear grip while cornering. The other benefit is as you are unwinding and adding power the rear has a decent loading on it and gives good traction on exit.

The down sides are less sharpness at turn in as there is a lot of "wallowing" as the weight is moving towards the soft rear.

Just my primitive grasp of cornering dynamics.

Lets see what the pros have to say.
Steve

I spent some time with them but can't remember their names. Their mechanic and driver of the T2 #77 helped me out by fixing a caliper problem. Really nice guys. The T2 car runs Penske's with the standard FRPP part...panhard, LCA's. Nothing special. The Conti cars, there were two there run the 302R setup with AST 5200's. They told me the Conti cars were running 2:02's and the T2 car was running 2:04's.

Really good group of guys. It was a lot of fun pointing them by then trying to keep up for a turn or two! Key word there is trying!

steveespo said:
Here is my take on the setup, you remove most or all rear roll resistance (small or no bar) the gets more weight and load transfer to the outside rear tire and takes most or all of it from the inside front. THe rear weight transfer helps the, on our platform, already overloaded (understeer) outside front tire. That helps balance the car and utilize the excess rear grip while cornering. The other benefit is as you are unwinding and adding power the rear has a decent loading on it and gives good traction on exit.

The down sides are less sharpness at turn in as there is a lot of "wallowing" as the weight is moving towards the soft rear.

Steve

What you're saying makes sense--you can see the "wallowing" in both pictures. I'm used to thinking that race cars have super stiff spring rates and never squat or lean, but that's clearly not the case.

...and apparently they're still going fast. Cool beans.

steveespo said:

Steve

Sounds spot on to me. Trying out the no sway bar and watts link at lowest roll center Sunday.

Sent from my DROID4 using Tapatalk

I went thru all the videos I took and was able to find a few that had Phoenix Racing "fly-bys". For some reason (I think go-pro battery died) I missed the best shot of the day when I was behind them in turn 9. Both cars had the left front wheels in the air as in the picture above. Was really cool! Here is one of the short clips. Have a few more to load yet.

[youtube]http://youtu.be/uxRKXU2_pyI[/youtube]

Here is one of me following the T2 car for half a lap.
Not the best lap because of traffic but still cool.
[youtube]https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=89gAZlFJVxQ[/youtube]

cobrarob

11 Shelby GT500
new york
06mach1 said:
I went thru all the videos I took and was able to find a few that had Phoenix Racing "fly-bys". For some reason (I think go-pro battery died) I missed the best shot of the day when I was behind them in turn 9. Both cars had the left front wheels in the air as in the picture above. Was really cool! Here is one of the short clips. Have a few more to load yet.

[youtube]http://youtu.be/uxRKXU2_pyI[/youtube]
Looked good Mike...did you get the tire pressures squared away

TMO Supporting Vendors