The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

  • Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

looking for new lower control arm

Are you talking about rear lower control arms? Obvious ones are from Ford Racing with poly or spherical bushings or Eibach. For more bling look at the Steeda billet LCA's.
 
Ya i was thinking about eibach but i heard j&m ones were better. I want to lower ot tho so wouldn't i need a adjustable rear lower control arm?
 

Sesshomurai

5 DOT 0 said:
Are you talking about rear lower control arms? Obvious ones are from Ford Racing with poly or spherical bushings or Eibach. For more bling look at the Steeda billet LCA's.

+1

Btw.
I have the eibach adj. Tubulars.
 

Sesshomurai

jfolsom28 said:
Ya i was thinking about eibach but i heard j&m ones were better. I want to lower ot tho so wouldn't i need a adjustable rear lower control arm?

Yes
 
Alright thanks guys im kinda new to cars you guys are a huge help i love this forum. The rx8 forum all rhe guys that were douchers so thanks for the info. And do you like your eibach adjustable tubulars do they help with wheel hop?
 

Sesshomurai

5 DOT 0 said:
You don't need adjustable LCA's, you do need an adjustable panhard bar though.

If you lower the car you will (should) need adj. LCA's because the angle of the LCA and thus its precise distance has changed slightly.
Also, if you lower the car, you (should) get LCA relocation brackets, which should require adj. LCA's as well to get the precision over the axle placement with modified ride-height, suspension parts.
 
darreng505 said:
5 DOT 0 said:
You don't need adjustable LCA's, you do need an adjustable panhard bar though.

If you lower the car you will (should) need adj. LCA's because the angle of the LCA and thus its precise distance has changed slightly.
Also, if you lower the car, you (should) get LCA relocation brackets, which should require adj. LCA's as well to get the precision over the axle placement with modified ride-height, suspension parts.
I do have my car lowered, as do many of us, and you do not need adjustable LCA's. I do have relocation brackets and an adjustable panhard bar. You do need the adjustable panhard bar to recenter the axle on the car.
 
I think im going with the eibach adjustable tubulars. That way i won't have t buy a relocation bracket to lower it just the panhard. Thanks for the help ill let you know how i like them
 
jfolsom28 said:
I think im going with the eibach adjustable tubulars. That way i won't have t buy a relocation bracket to lower it just the panhard. Thanks for the help ill let you know how i like them
If you lower the car you will need LCA relocation brackets to correct the LCA angle in relation to the ground. Adjustable tubular control arms will not correct this angle. Also as Rick stated you will need an adj panhard bar as your axle will shift to the driver side when you lower it.
 

Sesshomurai

5 DOT 0 said:
darreng505 said:
5 DOT 0 said:
You don't need adjustable LCA's, you do need an adjustable panhard bar though.

If you lower the car you will (should) need adj. LCA's because the angle of the LCA and thus its precise distance has changed slightly.
Also, if you lower the car, you (should) get LCA relocation brackets, which should require adj. LCA's as well to get the precision over the axle placement with modified ride-height, suspension parts.
I do have my car lowered, as do many of us, and you do not need adjustable LCA's. I do have relocation brackets and an adjustable panhard bar. You do need the adjustable panhard bar to recenter the axle on the car.

I look at it as a geometry problem. The mount points for the LCA form the hypotenuse of a triangle and the LCA is the hypotenuse. The axle mount point is one tip of the hypotenuse and the vertical segment directly above it one leg of the triangle with respect to the suspension - it should be at a right angle to the horizontal leg extending to the front mount point. If the vertical leg distance changes (because the car was lowered), the length of the hypotenuse must change. If the hypotenuse doesn't change, then the angle of the vertical leg changes from right angle to slightly obtuse. And that's what you want to avoid.

I made a picture to describe this better.

lca.png


Also, yes, you need adj. panhard bar to correct side-to-side placement of axle. adj. LCA's control forward-aft placement of axle.
 
darreng505 said:
5 DOT 0 said:
darreng505 said:
5 DOT 0 said:
You don't need adjustable LCA's, you do need an adjustable panhard bar though.

If you lower the car you will (should) need adj. LCA's because the angle of the LCA and thus its precise distance has changed slightly.
Also, if you lower the car, you (should) get LCA relocation brackets, which should require adj. LCA's as well to get the precision over the axle placement with modified ride-height, suspension parts.
I do have my car lowered, as do many of us, and you do not need adjustable LCA's. I do have relocation brackets and an adjustable panhard bar. You do need the adjustable panhard bar to recenter the axle on the car.

I look at it as a geometry problem. The mount points for the LCA form the hypotenuse of a triangle and the LCA is the hypotenuse. The axle mount point is one tip of the hypotenuse and the vertical segment directly above it one leg of the triangle with respect to the suspension - it should be at a right angle to the horizontal leg extending to the front mount point. If the vertical leg distance changes (because the car was lowered), the length of the hypotenuse must change. If the hypotenuse doesn't change, then the angle of the vertical leg changes from right angle to slightly obtuse. And that's what you want to avoid.

I made a picture to describe this better.

lca.png


Also, yes, you need adj. panhard bar to correct side-to-side placement of axle. adj. LCA's control forward-aft placement of axle.
I have an adjustable upper control arm which allows for re-centering and correcting pinion angle after lowering.

FWIW, the 302S race cars aren't allowed to use an adjustable UCA so they use a Multimatic modified stock piece with monoball and the non-adjustable FRPP Rear lower control arms M-5649-S and rear lower control arm relocation brackets M-5650-A. As we know, the Boss S has performed pretty convincingly in competition so I wouldn't say adjustable LCAs are required.
 

Sesshomurai

One has to consider taking a stock boss, with stock suspension components and stock geometry and modifying it vs. a 302S which has its geometry designed a specific way from the ground up......there is no "generalized" answer to the OP's question for all kinds of mods & bosses. Using a race car's design and component decisions and applying that logic to an after-market, modified stock boss is not necessarily "the right thing". Just my $0.02.
 

PeteInCT

#LS-378 - So many Porsche's, so little time....
Moderator
2,848
14
Connecticut
I believe the point is that using FRPP parts gets the geometry 100% correct for the Boss, ('12 and '13) without adjustable control arms.
 

Grant 302

basic and well known psychic
jfolsom28 said:
I did see the whitelines but are they really 100 dollars better than eibach?

Er..I got $10 difference:

http://www.hillbankmotorsports.com/2010-mustang/suspension-1-2-3-4-5/control-arms/whiteline-adjustable-lower-control-arms-2005-2012-mustang.html

http://www.americanmuscle.com/eibach-proalign-lca-0512.html

Darren,
The part missing out of your diagram is the bracket. In your diagram it would essentially add the inch back and put the arm almost exactly where it used to be. This is one of the other reasons why I recommended the brackets to cure your unloading in the rear under hard braking...and added the 'trust me' without further explanation.

Adjustable LCAs are totally not needed, unless you want fine tuning ability, and/or want to adjust pinion angle and are restricted from changing the upper arm.
 
jfolsom28 said:
Gonna go with bmr LCA but what's the difference between the normal control arms and the billet ones is it work it to get the villet?
If you are going with BMR, give Kelly an email. He is the Ford salesperson for BMR. His email is [email protected] He a really good guy to talk with and will answer any question you have about BMR products.
 

TMO Supporting Vendors

Top