The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

Maybe this wasn't such a good idea!

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Exp. Type
Autocross
Exp. Level
10-20 Years
Baton Rouge
I live in Louisiana but have been working in North Carolina. I had to stay over this weekend and thought, let's see what's going on around me. Wouldn't you know it, NASA at CMP!

Sounds like a great idea....

Only my poor little rental car didn't think so!

All I had to do was buy a helmet, and swap out my convertible ecoboost for a hardtop. I've never been to CMP so I thought having a slower car would be good my first time there. Maybe keep me out of trouble, you know?

Well, all I can say is the brakes on my 350 have definitely spoiled me. I mean I have yet to experience fade. I obviously don't know when to stop stopping! In less than two twenty minute sessions, I smooth wore them bitches out!!

I went to an O'Reillys five miles away and got front pads. They didn't have the rears, and I thought I had enough back there to last anyway. Got back to the track and changed out the pads.
Thanks for the use of your tools Nbjeeptj !

I thought I was going to take it easy on my next session. Maybe go slower in the straights to not have to break so hard, and play with carrying more speed through the turns.

Yeah right!!

One more twenty minute session and the rear pads are gone! Except this time, I was proficient enough to remove most of the friction material off the outboard pads so the rotors are visably all scarred up. I was luck enough with the fronts earlier to only wipe the inboard pads. Front rotors look semi okay at a glance.

So my day was done with the closest pads being thirty minutes away near my hotel.
I went ahead and bought another set of front pads just to be safe. During that third (and my last) session of the day, they hit us with a red flag drill. When I came to a stop, the smoke was rolling up around my fenders!

I guess I'll find out what the front look like in the morning when I get back to the track. Hopefully they just got hot, and not disintegrated.

I would like to go out on track again tomorrow.
But don't know if I can control myself to go slower. With the way those brakes wore down today, it would have to fell like I was driving miss daisy to keep that from happening again.

And in the end, I really can't complain. There was a poor guy there whose car caught fire when he got back to the paddock. I felt so helpless just watching it. They couldn't get the hood up and spray where it needed it. The whole car didn't go up, just the front. But when the firemen broke out the jaws of life to get the hood open, I just had to walk away. It was a very sad moment.

Just thought you guys might get a kick out of my adventures.

Exp. Type
Autocross
Exp. Level
10-20 Years
Baton Rouge
Good thing I bought another set of fronts.

20240218_083334.jpg

That pad on the left had one twenty minute session!

And the rears
20240218_075311.jpg

Exp. Type
Autocross
Exp. Level
10-20 Years
Baton Rouge
I totally agree. My only choice was ceramic. A semi metallic would have probably done better.
This has been a blast, and a great learning experience.
I have a locker at my customer's mill up here. I could see actually buying a set of mild race pads and swapping out before and after a weekend.
Second lesson. I tried getting a silver mustang when I swapped to a hardtop, but it had to go to maintenance. The black car they gave me turns out to work better. I don't have to worry about all the black rubber marks showing up on the car!

Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
3-5 Years
25 min. to 1½ hrs. from Sonoma (ugh... traffic!)
1. I would blur out the license plate in your 2nd post
2. Did you get track insurance or just winging it? I'm not even sure you can get track insurance for a car that isn't yours.
My thoughts exactly! After my experience a couple years ago, I'd hate to have to go outta pocket on a new (used to be!) Mustang, at least mine was paid for...

I met a guy at the track once with a rented 718 Caymen and that could've been much worse

Exp. Type
Autocross
Exp. Level
10-20 Years
Baton Rouge
Thanks for the suggestion. I may not be a good driver, but I ain't too bright neither!!

I have premium insurance on all my rentals. Lol
A wing and a prayer. Like I said, ain't too bright.

Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
3-5 Years
25 min. to 1½ hrs. from Sonoma (ugh... traffic!)
Thanks for the suggestion. I may not be a good driver, but I ain't too bright neither!!

I have premium insurance on all my rentals. Lol
A wing and a prayer. Like I said, ain't too bright.
Best to read the fine print there, most insurance does not cover events that occur on a race track. Ask me how I know...

Exp. Type
Autocross
Exp. Level
10-20 Years
Baton Rouge
Oh I know my ass would've been cooked like them pads if anything real bad had happened. And I ain't out the woods yet. I still have to return it, and the rear rotors are a little scarred up.

On the positive side however, I had a blast! I definitely learned some things, and love the track.

This was the first time I have truly been forced to practice slow in and fast out. I would lay into the throttle after the apex, and then lift when starting the straight. I was trying to not go any faster on the straights than the next corner entry speed. Except for that back straight going through the kink, that was fun!

Bill Pemberton

0ld Ford Automotive Racing Terror
Exp. Type
Time Attack
Exp. Level
20+ Years
Blair, Nebraska
Dear Rajin, er Racin, Cajun , I would suggest you switch back to your own car because their Insurance will not cover the exploits of the Budget Rental Bayou Badboy. Funny story, but I would figure the Voodoo you do so well probably should cast its spell in the future with the GT350.

Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
5-10 Years
Lenoir City TN
Luckily most rental car companies do not do a thorough inspection of returned cars. I used to get cars at airports with everything from trash to golf clubs in the trunk from previous renters. The average rental car worker isn't going to know you changed the brake pads and probably will not notice grooves on rotors. After it is rented a few times they will not know who did it.

Exp. Type
Autocross
Exp. Level
10-20 Years
Baton Rouge
Yeah, I wasn't too worried with it being at the airport in Charlotte. It's dark, busy as hell, and half the time there is no one there to receive.

Before anybody warns me, I've had my fun but realize it was a big risk. Having said that, I do fly to Orlando on occasion.

Lots of GT's there to be had, and I stay in Lake Wales which is about 45min north of Sebring!!

I'm kidding, okay? Wink-Wink

Even rented this one time:
20230118_093557.jpg

Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
5-10 Years
Lenoir City TN
Yeah, I wasn't too worried with it being at the airport in Charlotte. It's dark, busy as hell, and half the time there is no one there to receive.

Before anybody warns me, I've had my fun but realize it was a big risk. Having said that, I do fly to Orlando on occasion.

Lots of GT's there to be had, and I stay in Lake Wales which is about 45min north of Sebring!!

I'm kidding, okay? Wink-Wink

Even rented this one time:
View attachment 93670
I was at a track event at Sebring several years ago and the event organizer was from out of the area. He ended up flying in and renting a Camaro SS that he used for the weekend and returned it before flying out.

TMO Supporting Vendors