The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

  • Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

Mishimoto Oil Cooling Kit - Anyone running it?

I read through the DIY Oil cooling kit thread, and a couple other threads. I know the mishimoto kit came up a bunch in these threads, but I didn't see anyone actually running it. Has anyone bought the full kit and run/tested it since? I am going to be going one way or another this spring. My car is a GT also, so I don't have the boss cooler/heater setup on my car to worry about.

I may just try it and be the guinea pig.

One other thing that makes this a strong candidate is that I get the full kit for quite a bit less than retail cost.
 
If the price is right go for it. I think the one issue is their sandwich plate doesn't play nice with the Boss cooler.

@06mach1
 
I have been looking at it too, Seems like even mishimoto has not really done any real track testing with this unit either which raises concern. Most are concerned about the quality of the actual heat exchanger the rest of the parts look solid though.
 

Grant 302

basic and well known psychic
Without the Boss oil-water cooler, you might be better off with a small cooler anyway. Depends how you use the car and at what temps. Might take a little longer to warm up in cold or cool weather on the street.
 
100
0
Thanks for the replies. I think at the low pricepoint I am just going to give it a shot. I will report back in the spring once I have it on with some results/info.

Dan
 
Based off of memory, I think people that tracked their cars hard during hot track days found out that small, standalone air-oil coolers were not sufficient.

The boss cooler played a significant role in decreasing temps when installed in series with a smaller air-oil cooler, like the mishimoto unit. That's why people that ditched the boss cooler went with huge standalone air-oil coolers, which unfortunately cost big buck$.
 
100
0
F.D. Sako said:
Based off of memory, I think people that tracked their cars hard during hot track days found out that small, standalone air-oil coolers were not sufficient.

The boss cooler played a significant role in decreasing temps when installed in series with a smaller air-oil cooler, like the mishimoto unit. That's why people that ditched the boss cooler went with huge standalone air-oil coolers, which unfortunately cost big buck$.

Interesting. I definitely have time so I will keep poking around. One thing worthy of mention is that I am in New England and do almost all of my track time in the Northeast. I definitely don't see some of the ambient temps that a lot of you guys do.

Always open to more thoughts/opinions.
 

TMSBOSS

Spending my pension on car parts and track fees.
6,362
3,445
Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
5-10 Years
Illinois
With oil cooling its pay me now or pay me later. No cheap solutions. Sorry.

A small oil cooler as F.D. mentions will likely not cool a car during a full track day.
I have a 24 row Setrab along with the Boss cooler and still have oil temps near 300 with ambient temps in the 70-80s.
 
679
208
Since were talking about oil temps; a radiator enclosure goes along way in dropping oil and water temp (assuming an air to air cooler is installed in the same pathway).
 
The boss has a pretty good enclosure around the radiator already, which is probably the same in the GT. When I removed the bumper last time, I tried looking for open gaps that I could close and improve airflow... couldn't really find anything.

OP, have you tried opening up the grills?
Last year I had a few events in the high 90's and my coolant went above 245F. I replaced my upper and lower grilles with GT500 replica grills, and coolant temps stayed around 235F.
 
793
392
If you can buy the kit for a discount, I think it is a no brainier. It would be hard to assemble a 25-row kit for much less, especially with the included thermostat.

It looks like you are running a blowfish tow hook bracket. If so, I would be concerned about possible fitment issues with the Mishimoto mounting bracket.
 
100
0
2012-Boss said:
If you can buy the kit for a discount, I think it is a no brainier. It would be hard to assemble a 25-row kit for much less, especially with the included thermostat.

It looks like you are running a blowfish tow hook bracket. If so, I would be concerned about possible fitment issues with the Mishimoto mounting bracket.

Good point about the bracket, I will have to look into that. My total cost w/ shipping is under 500 bucks.
 
793
392
Under $500 is a pretty good price. To give you a perspective on some prices:

Setrab 6 series 25 row cooler from Car Shop Inc: $194.50
Mocal 235 25 row cooler from improved racing: $225.00
Earls 25 row cooler from improved racing: $227.00
Improved racing thermostat: $169.00

You still need about 10' of line, fittings, a sandwich plate, and mounting brackets.
 
679
208
F.D. Sako said:
The boss has a pretty good enclosure around the radiator already, which is probably the same in the GT. When I removed the bumper last time, I tried looking for open gaps that I could close and improve airflow... couldn't really find anything.

OP, have you tried opening up the grills?
Last year I had a few events in the high 90's and my coolant went above 245F. I replaced my upper and lower grilles with GT500 replica grills, and coolant temps stayed around 235F.

Believe it or not, there is allot to be gained by fully enclosing the radiator area even for 2013 models. Temps are not only dropped by as much as 20 degrees. I just had the Watson enclosure installed on my 13 LS. Although I have not been to a track day yet, I can tell you that not only is the oil temp cooler (normal operating temperature, not as in "cold") but it is STABLE. That's the biggest difference. Running up in high RPM quickly elevated oil temps before where as now, not so much at all.
 

ArizonaBOSS

Because racecar.
Moderator
8,574
2,445
Arizona, USA
BigTaco said:
Believe it or not, there is allot to be gained by fully enclosing the radiator area even for 2013 models. Temps are not only dropped by as much as 20 degrees. I just had the Watson enclosure installed on my 13 LS. Although I have not been to a track day yet, I can tell you that not only is the oil temp cooler (normal operating temperature, not as in "cold") but it is STABLE. That's the biggest difference. Running up in high RPM quickly elevated oil temps before where as now, not so much at all.

That's good news, BT. I'm about to box in my radiator and cooler on my 2012 and I'm hoping the effect will be similar. Temps run hot on my car (but not dangerous) even with the high-flow grille and I'm sure the boxing will help.
 
BT, do you have the steel bumper beam, or the modified tubular beam?

If you have the steel beam, I'm really interested in seeing how they built the enclosure. Would love to see pics if you have any!
 
679
208
F.D. Sako said:
BT, do you have the steel bumper beam, or the modified tubular beam?

If you have the steel beam, I'm really interested in seeing how they built the enclosure. Would love to see pics if you have any!

FD,
I have the FR tubular bumper. I wanted to get that installed with the tow hook at the same time. I already have the FR radiator and air to oil cooler installed so I decided to add this as well: http://shop.watsonracing.com/Road-Race-Mustang-Radiator-Enclosure-p/wr-radenclosure.htm

Watson Racing/Engineering actually makes the tubular bumper for Ford; all of this stuff was designed to work together.

It was designed to work with the tubular bumper and is original equipment on the 302S/R . You may be able to fab up something similar but for the price, I think it's a no brainer. I decided to have this all installed at once as a system so I budgeted and purchased a piece at a time until I was ready to have it installed. Cortex in Sonoma Ca did the install. It was better for me to have them do the install since they have proven be great at making modifications look as if they were factory installed. That is a huge deal for me since I'm a stickler for detail and (sadly) I don't think I could do as good a job. My car is also equipped with the 302S grille. I had the grille installed before the enclosure so I was able to (on the street) A/B comparison. Seriously, the oil comes up to temp now and holds steady, not rising up with high rpm sprints as before. I don't drive like an a%% on the street but it was easy to get the oil temp to rise even on a cool day before.
 
That's a great kit for those that have the tubular bumper beam, and imo a must have to improve cooling efficiency.

Not sure if you've noticed, but stock cars already have those enclosures in place that wrap around the steel beam. I was hoping it was something different so I could further increase heat transfer efficiency.
 
679
208
F.D. Sako said:
That's a great kit for those that have the tubular bumper beam, and imo a must have to improve cooling efficiency.

Not sure if you've noticed, but stock cars already have those enclosures in place that wrap around the steel beam. I was hoping it was something different so I could further increase heat transfer efficiency.
There is a bit of insulation in place from the factory; it does not however fully enclose the radiator "box" like the Watson unit does. It would be neat to see if some one could fab up a "kit" of sheet metal forms to box in the radiator with the stock bumper. I know there are some owners that may not want to go the tubular bumper route but you would still benefit from the improved cooling....
 

TMO Supporting Vendors

Buy TMO Apparel

Buy TMO Apparel
Top