The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

My motor blew up......now what?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

As far as springs go, you need to at least install a new set of Boss 302R springs
I bought M-6513-M50BR from LMR. Says Boss 302 R/S springs that can rev to 8000 (which is my plan). Is this the correct spring you mention?

Unless you are willing to bring a fuel rig to the track with you
I will be using VP E85 in a 55 gallon drum I keep in the trailer. The VP distributor is in Delaware so close enough to pick it up.

I bought M-6513-M50BR from LMR. Says Boss 302 R/S springs that can rev to 8000 (which is my plan). Is this the correct spring you mention?
Those are the Boss 302R springs. I would not routinely run them to 8,000. They are fine to 7,500 and occasionally to 7,800. The Roush engines with the 8,200 rev limiter didn't actually use the 302R valve springs, they used PAC springs (even though the springs are not listed in the SCCA vehicle technical specification. It only lists the Manley rods).

The valve springs really depend on on the RPM you will usually shift at.

Mad Hatter

Gotta go Faster
Santiago, Chile
I think the LM intake only cams are the best all around bet for the track. The car pulls (Pulled) strong from 3500rpm. You gain about 30hp with out loosing any power down low.

Asked Shaun (AED) about a gen3 stock shortblock or a Aluminator setup. He told me not to bother. So I spent the cash on other goodies. Looks like stock gen 3 piston quality has gone up a lot since the gen1 setup.

Come to think of it. None of my engines had piston failure. One was a rod failure (dont re-use rods after racing for years on them), another one was rod that lost its pin and the third was a block from overheating. All were forged setups, and all made windows in the block....

Mad Hatter

Gotta go Faster
Santiago, Chile
MH, I'm in a jovial mood today.....We got to get you a better driver for that Boss.................just kidding....it is officially the silly season...right??????...................bear with me...Hon does, Bless Her Soul.......................
Lol, She must be a Saint.

Stock Boss 302 rods have been known to stretch under extreme load over time. This is what I was told by the people that built my 302 Boss motor. They advised they “popped” a couple of 302s racing so they began changing the rods out to Oliver rods. No more issues.

Looking at your pic it looks suspiciously like a piston rod issue.

I would stay with a 302 Boss motor 100%. Put in better rods. Done. Want more power? Add Cobra Jet intake, throttle body and tune. You are at ~525 hp at the crank.

I would never do an LS. Makes by brain hurt.

0AB09A2D-2EA7-4695-9267-B43372ACB02B.jpeg

Last edited:
Want more power? Add Cobra Jet intake, throttle body and tune. You are at ~525 hp at the crank.
The motor was the stock unit with 14K miles and the CJ intake, TB, cams and tune which equaled 475 rwhp. You are correct.....the rod looks to be the culprit in my case. I'll have the heads and crank out this weekend so I will be able to confirm.

What LxM intake cam did you use??
LM-C11-IO

Mad Hatter

Gotta go Faster
Santiago, Chile
just for thought. Shaun fromm AED had a lot to do with that the intake only cam and he says you see no gains with the exhaust cams and its not worth bothering with. I gave him to go ahead to build my engine the best way he sees fit, and its with LM intakes and stock exhaust.

My previous engines had the LM intake cams and its a great upgrade. +30rwhp and no torque loss.

Finally got the rest of the motor apart. Crank had some nasty scars but the journals were fine. Found the bad cylinder with the piston wedged sideways inside. The head and valves were not damaged at least to my newbie eyes. I'm installing new springs so I'm sure the valves can be cleaned up but it doesn't look like any were damaged. The spark plug made slight contact with the piston I believe since there was no longer a gap visible.

Question: is it necessary to replace the rockers and lash adjusters on a 14K mile motor? How about chains and teh plastic guides? They all look new to me.

pic1.jpg

pic2.jpg

The lash adjusters and rockers establish wear patterns. You can only re-use them if they go back exactly where they came from on each of the heads. They have to go back to the exact same lifter bore, matched with the same follower, same valve, in the same position.

Ford Performance sells kits for the lash adjusters and followers / rockers. I would just buy the new kits.

I would replace all of the timing components - at least everything you can get. I believe the Gen 1 timing kits are still on back order at Ford Performance.

I see more rod failures in Coyote / Boss track cars that fried #8 pistons - I think tuners got a handle of fueling the number 8 several years ago. The reasons I would recommend the Aluminator short block is the Manley rods and Mahle pistons.

You should consider at least having the valves on the head that has the broken piston checked. A bent valve doesn't always have visible damage.

Exp. Type
Time Attack
Exp. Level
5-10 Years
SoCal
Question: is it necessary to replace the rockers and lash adjusters on a 14K mile motor? How about chains and teh plastic guides? They all look new to me.
Glad to see you were fortunate to escape any damage to the heads - I’m sure you were anxious like I was to see inside. Looks like we both lucked out!

I’ve been caught in the same decision cycle of replacing or upgrading good parts, or keep running them. I keep coming back to the fact that regardless of miles, we’re running these engines hard. The VCT timing is oil driven, and any time there’s metal part failure in the engine, it’s concerning where fragments might be lurking that could cause major issues with the new engine.

I ordered the GT350 lash adjusters that @Coz mentioned above along with a replacement set of followers. I also ordered the FRPP camshaft drive kit for the front end (M-6004-A504), which is new VCT gears, chains, tensioners, etc. Capaldi Racing had great deals on all of the FRPP items. It’s another $900-1000 added to the build, but hopefully good insurance to protect the new short block.

I did plan to keep all valvetrain parts in their same location since I'm expecting the stock valves to be reused. I do see the benefit of new parts but I was really hoping to keep the budget in check. Having to replace the oil pan, pump and pick up was a cost I wasn't expecting so I'm trying to offset that. Guess I will keep adding to the list.

TMO Supporting Vendors

Latest posts

Buy TMO Apparel

Buy TMO Apparel