The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!
Oct

NASA Mid-America Heartland Motorsports Park

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bill Pemberton

0ld Ford Automotive Racing Terror
Exp. Type
Time Attack
Exp. Level
20+ Years
Blair, Nebraska
I am sure it will be a great event as Heartland Motorsport Park will be done after this October and whether it is reborn with a new owner or not , remains to be seen. It seems logical some Business Group might come in and pay the back taxes and maybe a bit more for the track, as the drag strip and the road course are in great shape. Only time will tell , but I know there are some TMO folks going to get on track in case this is truly the last time the track will function. I just am an optimist and believe something positive will happen in the near future as there is not much else that could be done with the land, imho.

Exp. Type
W2W Racing
Exp. Level
3-5 Years
Huntsville, AL
From my understanding, what you stated is exactly what happened…to some degree. The track was recently purchased by a new owner. Recently used loosely as I don’t the actual purchase date. At any rate, the new owner had an understanding of what the taxes would be and then the local municipality tripled the evaluation of the property effectively raising the taxes owed to something like $9M. Of course this is all hearsay on my part.

Bill Pemberton

Exp. Type
Time Attack
Exp. Level
20+ Years
Blair, Nebraska
Sorry to miss the last MidAmerica Region NASA event, but this year has been mainly just an autocross one. What a terrific video clip and that looks like the largest group of Vintage racers I have seen there. Going to be a fun weekend and go get them Patrick!!!

Exp. Type
W2W Racing
Exp. Level
3-5 Years
Huntsville, AL
20 cars. Most we’ve ever had. Today was a blast. Was misting rain on our second race, but the track held up nicely. I finished 6th and 7th. My best ever. Pretty proud of it considering I’m 100HP+ behind the cars in front of me. Good day all around.

Bill Pemberton

Exp. Type
Time Attack
Exp. Level
20+ Years
Blair, Nebraska
Wow, I did not realize you were so far down on HP as Topeka is a horsepower course and it can have a major effect on the outcome..........I am impressed! Good luck today and what a great way to end the year's racing with that many competitors on track.

Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
5-10 Years
Lenoir City TN
From my understanding, what you stated is exactly what happened…to some degree. The track was recently purchased by a new owner. Recently used loosely as I don’t the actual purchase date. At any rate, the new owner had an understanding of what the taxes would be and then the local municipality tripled the evaluation of the property effectively raising the taxes owed to something like $9M. Of course this is all hearsay on my part.
It looks like the hearsay is spot on.

Bill Pemberton

Exp. Type
Time Attack
Exp. Level
20+ Years
Blair, Nebraska
I would not listen to the hearsay, the scuttlebutt thrown out over the last 5-7 years has had lots of inaccuracies. I am still wondering how the owner can legitimately sell a property that he owes tons of back taxes and he lost the dispute. Seems to me the track may go up for sale by the county to cover back taxes or some more. I think we will all find out a lot more after the first of next year, imho.

Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
5-10 Years
Lenoir City TN
The link I posted was released in the local Topeka news. It confirmed the escalating tax issues that Patrick mentioned. I have not followed this story as it is too far out of my local area. It is sad that the local government appears to be taxing them out of existence. Maybe they think the land would generate more tax revenue from a different use or just don't want a race track in their back yard. Either way it will be interesting to see what happens with the property in the future.

Bill Pemberton

Exp. Type
Time Attack
Exp. Level
20+ Years
Blair, Nebraska
Don't believe everything you read completely , having lived in Kansas for 30 years prior to moving and having spent over 30 years playing at Topeka this is not a recent issue. It has been going on for a very long time and it is not like the owner has not been given years and years to pay or work responsibly with the County ( note the Court ruled against him). I blame both sides, but the NHRA yearly event brought in huge money to the track and just like a homeowner who never pays his/her taxes there is a point the County has to be responsible for all the homeowners and businesses who are paying their taxes. There is way , way more to this story and most of us are hoping the quiet rumors circulating ( some reasonable , some far fetched ,etc. ) may have some bearing, but it will likely be 2024 before anything really comes out.

Last edited:

Bill Pemberton

Exp. Type
Time Attack
Exp. Level
20+ Years
Blair, Nebraska
Cool, had heard that one and considering that the track was the fastest in the US for years, it would make plenty of sense. Who knows, I just have to believe there will be some positives coming out of this unfortunate situation. With SCCA based there , the track gets used often during the week days for " Track Night " events, and it has seen 2-4 NASA events per year for the last decade. Add in the PCA events, BMW events, Mustang events , and more, and there is activity there most weekends and though there is some areas that need upkeep and improvement, the strip and the road course are in good shape.

TMO Supporting Vendors