The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

One Helluva Redline

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TMSBOSS

Spending my pension on car parts and track fees.
Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
10-20 Years
Illinois
How do they control combustion when the mixture is pressurized to over 100 PSI? The pressurized charge would be heated or a large inter cooler would seem to be needed. They talk about HP but post no economy numbers, also strange.
I am somewhat familiar with turbine engines. Great HP to weight but Love fuel on the ground. How is this engine any different?

Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
5-10 Years
Philly Metro Area
All good questions.

And what type of fuel, Jet-A, gas, E85? Whether this particular effort sees the light of day or not, it's good to know that there are still efforts to use combustion engines.

Dave_W

Cones - not just for ice cream
Exp. Type
Autocross
Exp. Level
20+ Years
Connecticut
The last paragraph of the article talking about other turbines is somewhat of a red herring. Plus they don't mention the Chrysler Turbine Car of the early 60's. This is more similar to a Wankel than a turbine, though it seems to use compression ignition rather than spark ignition, at least in certain modes of operation. So maybe a diesel Wankel. The live footage of it running was less than impressive - only a few seconds before they shut it down.

Bill Pemberton

0ld Ford Automotive Racing Terror
Exp. Type
Time Attack
Exp. Level
20+ Years
Blair, Nebraska
Since I went to High School in Wichita I am pretty sure some of my very learned Classmates are in on this phenomenal engine. I can only imagine the delightful noise one might be able to get when approaching 25,000 rpms ---- screaming banshee from Hell!!

seems very "rotory-ish" to me and they ate fuel at a prodigious rate, there also seems to be some take offs from Smokey Yunik's thermal engine.

This engine is about 30 miles from me in Garlit's Museum

TMO Supporting Vendors