Our Pirelli P-Zero's in the rain

Discussion in 'TMO General Discussion Forum' started by TheMarco, May 10, 2012.

1. TheMarco

TheMarco TMO Race

I was wondering, how do these tires run in the rain? I know they're 'summer performance tires' so I'm expecting not-so-great grip in the rain but I was wondering what to expect when my first ride through the rain comes up. Is it really bad or manageable?

2. BossFred

BossFred TMO Race

It's managable,'
    just use your head when driving.

3. PeteInCT

PeteInCT #LS-378 - So many Porsche's, so little time.... Moderator

As long as it's not too cold they will work but you do need to be careful. Since it does not have very deep channels the biggest issue is if you have any standing water on the track.

4. TheMarco

TheMarco TMO Race

It's never really cold here in CA but there can be nasty rain at times.

I suppose going kind of slow-ish on the freeway is the answer? You kind of have to here anyway because as soon as a single drop of rain falls the average driver here steps on the brake :)

5. Justin

Justin Save the dawn for your dishes!!!

I drive around with TCS off in the rain. just have to watch it in corners or banked roads. the advanced track will keep the ass from kicking out to much. but as far as grip goes......not as bad as bald tires but I cant give it full tilt till 4th and even then it wags the ass a little.

6. CaliMR

CaliMR TMO Addict

I live down the street basically so I can comment on our weather. Got the car Jan 13th, it was freezing overnight, raining and cold during the day for the first couple weeks I had the car. Actually never ran it in over 65 degrees until like 2 weeks ago, as it is even colder up the mountain.

I never once had an oh **** moment, and I did drive it in the rain a couple times and in 50 degree and less up in the mountains. You get wheel hop pretty bad (I got it bad at the track in 60 degree weather too) but the nannies catch it fast and even with them off it is more of a hop than a real spin unless you are doing it on purpose. I kept speeds down a bit from my usual mountain runs, and never once had it feel like it was going to get away from me. It does feel numb and like it wants to slip, but it just won't.

Standing water I never had an issue with, but I am careful about it and I try not to get both sides in at the same time. We don't really get ice on the roads here, so didn't get to test that.

Basically the tires feel like **** in the cold or wet and hop a little, but the actual let off in performance is not much as far as every day driving. There is a big drop off if you are driving aggressively, not like in my car with shaved 888s but enough you have to adjust more than you would in a standard all weather tire.

7. JeffIsHereToo

JeffIsHereToo TMO Advanced

You're going to drive it in the rain? :eek:

8. TheMarco

TheMarco TMO Race

Ummm... yes. I have two cars, a family SUV and the Boss. If I were to drive the SUV to work because it's raining it would result in my wife having to use the Boss to get my daughter from school so it would still get wet anyway. Not a lot I can do to prevent it from getting wet.

That said, coming from a '68 with which I was more concerned about rust I was assuming a 2013 car can handle some rain. Was I wrong? ;)

9. zero

zero TMO Intermediate

I never had a problem with the P-zeros on my SS in the rain, just leave all the nannies on you will be fine. They are squirmy in colder weather though. I never had my boss out in the rain yet :D

10. PJWANNABE

PJWANNABE Ken

The P-zeros in the rain over 60 degrees out - OK. The P-Zeros in the rain below 50 degrees out- take it easy. Below 40 degrees in the rain - drive like a grandma.

11. Bossfan

Bossfan TMO Advanced

Folks, Summer tires are just that -SUMMER TIRES! ::) ::) ::)

12. PeteInCT

PeteInCT #LS-378 - So many Porsche's, so little time.... Moderator

True, but I think the more importsnt point is that they are not a GREAT wet tire since their tread design doesnt lend itself to channeling of water. Michrlin PSS's are a great wet tire and they are condidered max perf summer tires also.

13. JeffIsHereToo

JeffIsHereToo TMO Advanced

I guess you'll be "ok"...drive safe! :)

14. Bossfan

Bossfan TMO Advanced

...'that said"..​

15. Bill Pemberton

Bill Pemberton TMO Addict

Since the Corsa is considered an DOT R compound I would have to say it is head and shoulders above other tires in that class when it comes to rain. Overall it is more of a really sticky street tire in my estimation, which means it isn't really too bad when it is wet out!