The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

S550 PN3UMA Build Thread Profile - S550 Mustangs

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Fabman

Dances with Racecars
Exp. Type
W2W Racing
Exp. Level
20+ Years
Pleasanton: 1/2 way between Sonoma and Laguna Seca
Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
3-5 Years
Raleigh, NC
PIX AND VIDS!
Well, we'll see about the pix and vids. About 20 minutes from home on the way to track I got a P0300 (random misfire) code. So I'm at the shop. It only misfires in the 1,700-2,700 rpm range. Never on idle and never over 3k. So fingers crossed but since it's 2:45pm, my fingers are only loosely crossed. I'm hoping it can be fixed with a quick adjustment to the tune, as the IMRC lockout on a gen3 manifold paired with a gen2 engine seems to be touchy (from what I've read online).

Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
Under 3 Years
Durham
Old engine (turned in for core shortly after this pic). Hoping to have everything finished by next weekend. New motor is Gen2 Coyote with Gen3 intake.

View attachment 87585
I see you had to drop the subframe and lift the car off the engine. That looks like strong opportunity for a case of "while I'm in here". Hope it all goes well and you're back out on the track soon!

Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
3-5 Years
Raleigh, NC
I see you had to drop the subframe and lift the car off the engine. That looks like strong opportunity for a case of "while I'm in here". Hope it all goes well and you're back out on the track soon!
The only “while you’re in there” items were new OP GT4 hub/extended stud assemblies and I sent the Ohlins coil-overs in for a factory re-valve.

Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
3-5 Years
Raleigh, NC
What is the reason for the Ohlins re-valving asking for a friend :) Hope you soon sort out the tune issues.
The owner's manual says to do it every 15 hours (Seems excessive to me). I have about 10 events on them plus some around-town driving so it seemed like a good time while the car was already in the air.

Bill Pemberton

0ld Ford Automotive Racing Terror
Exp. Type
Time Attack
Exp. Level
20+ Years
Blair, Nebraska
After you get the Ohlins back I would, personally go on a less stringent schedule as I do believe that suggested maintenance is way too excessive for those of us not racing as a profession. I have gone years with MCS shocks not needing a thing, as well as for some of my past customers and they rarely needed an adjustment or revolving that early. I would easily triple the time and I doubt you would notice any changes. That rigid schedule is likely aimed at the pro race drivers/teams and for the average amateur trackrat the time frame for this procedure can easily be lengthened.

Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
3-5 Years
Raleigh, NC
After you get the Ohlins back I would, personally go on a less stringent schedule as I do believe that suggested maintenance is way too excessive for those of us not racing as a profession. I have gone years with MCS shocks not needing a thing, as well as for some of my past customers and they rarely needed an adjustment or revolving that early. I would easily triple the time and I doubt you would notice any changes. That rigid schedule is likely aimed at the pro race drivers/teams and for the average amateur trackrat the time frame for this procedure can easily be lengthened.
Yeah, I put these coil-overs on in 2020, and they have been driven to Summit Point, Road Atlanta, and VIR several times each. So I'm on a loose schedule.

Fabman

Dances with Racecars
Exp. Type
W2W Racing
Exp. Level
20+ Years
Pleasanton: 1/2 way between Sonoma and Laguna Seca
I believe the term "Your mileage may vary" applies here.

Exp. Type
Time Attack
Exp. Level
Under 3 Years
Bulgaria
The owner's manual says to do it every 15 hours (Seems excessive to me). I have about 10 events on them plus some around-town driving so it seemed like a good time while the car was already in the air.
I was asking more if it's a preventive thing or did you actually seen a reason to do it. Mine have like 2 seasons on them and are going good. Which is why I'm asking I know what the manual says but this are 15 hours of track time running or 60 000 km street driving.

Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
3-5 Years
Raleigh, NC
Been meaning to get an update posted. The tune is FINALLY worked out. No more P0300 (random misfire), no more engine light, seems to run well.
So the final rundown:
- New Gen2 Coyote long-block
- New Gen3 intake manifold
- LMR IMRC lockouts (big PIA to tune, if you haven't done it before)
- HP tune
- Dyno = 404hp
Counting down the days to VIR on Oct 15, and Road Atlanta the following weekend.

Exp. Type
Time Attack
Exp. Level
Under 3 Years
Bulgaria
Been meaning to get an update posted. The tune is FINALLY worked out. No more P0300 (random misfire), no more engine light, seems to run well.
So the final rundown:
- New Gen2 Coyote long-block
- New Gen3 intake manifold
- LMR IMRC lockouts (big PIA to tune, if you haven't done it before)
- HP tune
- Dyno = 404hp
Counting down the days to VIR on Oct 15, and Road Atlanta the following weekend.

That's some good numbers. Glad your car is back. Did you get your Ohlins back ? I run into an issue with my spring insulators on the front (will need to replace). Looking forward to your track days sounds like fun.

TMO Supporting Vendors

Buy TMO Apparel

Buy TMO Apparel