The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

Possible to fully disable traction control and stability control completely?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
5-10 Years
Atlanta
Went to a skid pad event today with my GT350 and even with it in Track Mode with AdvanceTrac Off by holding the TC toggle for 5 seconds, there was a level on traction control still kicking in. Especially when the car was still and the rear tires were skipping on the pavement.

Is it possible to disable everything?

Does pulling the plug trigger any lights or affect drive modes?

Does not affect drive modes, does trigger traction control light on.

It does not disable ABS despite what you may hear from "experts", only thing I've noticed (by accident) is that it does not broadcast steering angle on CAN channel it is typically broadcasted on. Whether this affects anything or not - I have no idea (neither I am certain this is the only channel steering angle is broadcasted on). It could potentially impact Magride if you have it as it can be making use of steering angle data, whether it does it next to impossible to verify.

Went to a skid pad event today with my GT350 and even with it in Track Mode with AdvanceTrac Off by holding the TC toggle for 5 seconds, there was a level on traction control still kicking in. Especially when the car was still and the rear tires were skipping on the pavement.

Is it possible to disable everything?
Maybe not the same but my 18' GT I run with the connector unplugged at the fender. Honestly it drives the same as when I turn off advance trac (5 sec push), though maybe the shelby has different programming. My accelerometer doesnt work with the connector unplugged.

ABS still works, I tried unplugging the connector to fix some pedal issues but that didnt do it... But I would try and un hook the connector and go from there. What does your car do with advance trac off that you don't like?

Exp. Type
Autocross
Exp. Level
20+ Years
So Cal
I have a sneaky hunch that the stock ABS does more stability control than we generally give it credit. I feel like that when I over-cook a corner by just a little and have to hang on to the brake pedal longer than what I really want I get an 'unnatural' understeer. Carrying the brake 'too far' into a corner might mean you over-slow, but, in general, keeping the load forward in the car helps the front work. What I find, though, is that hanging onto the brake (at all) makes the car try to straighten itself out.

My guess is that in an effort to eliminate inside locking (both front and rear), it releases brake pressure on the inside calipers while keeping the pressure on the outside. This will provide an understeer moment on the chassis at both axles. The Ford Ride/Handling engineers know this and have the ability to increase the slip across the axles which will reduce the overall understeer moment on the car while braking & turning. There are two problems here. 1) If you allow enough slip across the axle, you'll allow the tire to lock. 2) If the engineers decide this type of maneuver only happens prior to a crash, then they will purposefully induce the understeering moment in the hope that whatever you hit will be a nose-in crash because that's where the seat belts and air bags work the best.

I know that on the S197 cars, the 'track' brake controller was a big deal. It's a shame they don't have one for the S550 cars.

Exp. Type
Autocross
Exp. Level
20+ Years
So Cal
M-2353-D? You gotta pay up for it, though.

I attempted to get one of those and it seemed to be vaporware. In the end, I got an ABS module off a wrecked GT500CFTP and I'm going to give that a test to see if it functions different than mine. I have to plan a 'brake' weekend, I guess, because I've got some lines for it that need to go on, too.

TMO Supporting Vendors