The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

Powerstop S197 brake line NHTSA warning

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

If I was to hazard a guess, I would say they don't meet DOT specs, not necessarily a deal killer, possibly where they bolt up to the caliper, they may have a round banjo connection instead of a square that is butted up to the casting on the calendar.
Yeah, typical bureaucracy, tells you not to use it, but not why...

In the V6L
The reason is actually there if you dig deep enough:

- the description of the recall: https://static.nhtsa.gov/odi/rcl/2024/RCAK-24E053-2646.pdf

- the description of the failure, how it was found and what led to the recall: https://static.nhtsa.gov/odi/rcl/2024/RCLRPT-24E053-4735.PDF

Description of the recall:

Summary
Power Stop LLC (PowerStop) is recalling certain Braided Steel Brake Hoses. Please see the attached document for a complete list of part numbers. The brake hoses may leak and also may be labeled incorrectly.

The recall came as a result of testing that found a problem:

Brake hose assembly leaked during the FMVSS 106 whip test evaluation, and the hoses/fittings were not labeled per FMVSS 106 requirements.

What led up to the testing and the recall:

On April 10, 2024, a customer contacted PowerStop to report a damaged brake hose fitting that occurred during the customer’s installation of the part. PowerStop received the customer’s returned product at the end of April and in early May initiated an investigation, including sending samples of the brake hose assemblies to a third-party test facility for assessment.

There is some good news:

Note that PowerStop has not received any reports of on-road failure related to PowerStop brake hoses.

The reason is actually there if you dig deep enough:

- the description of the recall: https://static.nhtsa.gov/odi/rcl/2024/RCAK-24E053-2646.pdf

- the description of the failure, how it was found and what led to the recall: https://static.nhtsa.gov/odi/rcl/2024/RCLRPT-24E053-4735.PDF

Description of the recall:

Summary
Power Stop LLC (PowerStop) is recalling certain Braided Steel Brake Hoses. Please see the attached document for a complete list of part numbers. The brake hoses may leak and also may be labeled incorrectly.

The recall came as a result of testing that found a problem:

Brake hose assembly leaked during the FMVSS 106 whip test evaluation, and the hoses/fittings were not labeled per FMVSS 106 requirements.

What led up to the testing and the recall:

On April 10, 2024, a customer contacted PowerStop to report a damaged brake hose fitting that occurred during the customer’s installation of the part. PowerStop received the customer’s returned product at the end of April and in early May initiated an investigation, including sending samples of the brake hose assemblies to a third-party test facility for assessment.

There is some good news:

Note that PowerStop has not received any reports of on-road failure related to PowerStop brake hoses.
Good catch, seems like Power Stop is legit by sending the part to a third party to test it. I understand that PS was just purchased by another company and they are cutting non popular items ( such as a left side 14inch brake rotor).. but I digress

Last edited:
In the V6L
Good catch, seems like Power Stop is legit by sending the part to a third party to test it. I understand that PS was just purchased by another company and they are cutting non popular items ( such as a left side 14inch brake rotor).. but I digress
Well, legit to a point. They didn't send them out for testing until after something went wrong...

In the V6L
Well, yeah.
I'm sort of assuming they did the development in house, and when a problem occurred they sent it out to a non biased, third parting testing agency, but who knows.
There's more to this than is visible when you read the documentation. The parts were manufactured by two subcontractors, one in the USA and one in China. Both suppliers' parts were tested and both failed at least one test - the label compliance test. Sounds to me like the parts were originally designed by Powerstop (Stoptech?) and the two suppliers delivered exactly what the drawings and specs called for. Had the original designers had the parts validated to comply with FMVSS 106 specs, the labeling problem would have been fixed long ago. The new owner (as of 2020) of Powerstop, First Brands, is presumably very careful to manage product liability risks, and they've done exactly what their legal department said they had to do in this situation. If the parts weren't compliant with regulations and someone wadded their car up because of it, the cost of the recall would be peanuts compared to the legal bills from a crash.

TMO Supporting Vendors