The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

S550 Pumpkin GT Build Thread Profile - S550 Mustangs

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Exp. Type
Time Attack
Exp. Level
3-5 Years
SoCal
Well this passed weekend didn't go the way I wanted it to.

Back at Buttonwillow and was hoping to finally get that elusive sub 2:00 lap or even at least take a second or two off my previous 2:03 time but instead I got 2:04's all day long.
These Toyo RR tires really do feel grip limited but that seems like an easy excuse. After watching my lap videos, there's a couple corners I was messing up but correcting those alone won't take 4 seconds off my time....I need coaching cause whatever I'm doing, isn't working.

On the positive side: the Xineering blip unit works phenomenally! Holy cow this thing is great! I was in a rush to get it set up the night before so I had set it to 25% throttle and 200ms duration which seemed fine on the streets around my neighborhood but on the track, it needed a bit more throttle. I loved being able to simply plant my foot on the brake pedal and not have to even think about maneuvering my foot over to blip the gas. It definitely allowed me to focus more on driving.
Though I have removed the need to heel-toe (and my embarrassing tendency to fat-foot the gas while braking), I am still experiencing some weird brake behaviors. It seems the first lap is fine but once things get hot, the brakes seem to lose their bite. I hit the brakes and the car just doesn't slow down. I guess that would be glazed pads but I would think these DTC-60's would hold up. I'm not sure if I'm doing something wrong or this is typical for these pads.

Lastly, shifting. I think the bad shifting all along is in fact MT-82 related. I had recently read into faceplated transmissions and their benefits. This clicked for me on why I have been having issues getting into gear. High rpm and high G loads (exiting off ramp at BW) are known to lock out gear selection in street-car transmissions - this is exactly what is happening to me. The only time I'd miss a gear is in this exact scenario.

I'll be sending my lap to Blayze/Racers360 but if anyone wants to give their input, it would be greatly appreciated. I can use all the help I can get.
Best lap of the day

From what I can see:
- royally messed up Sunrise
- lost the rear end a bit in Cotton Corners
- little squirrely coming to the braking zone in Bus Stop
- turning in too early at Sunset
- I think I'm lifting in a few spots when I should be flat on the gas
Will correcting these things and getting grippier tires equal a sub 2 lap? I have no idea but I sure hope so.

***In hindsight***:
After processing my thoughts and talking with mentors and friends, I think this weekend did more good than I initially thought; not what I wanted but absolutely what I needed.
Looking back, I was humble and accepting of my pace and experience as a driver UNTIL I got that podium finish in my very first timed event. That definitely got to my head. Seemingly all events after that, I was so focused on bringing my lap times down and chasing trophies that I lost sight of what I really needed: true driver development.
I think the best thing for me is to take a step back, away from timed events and focus on improving the driver rather than lap times. Corner entry, proper braking, smooth steering inputs, smooth throttle application, staying on throttle.....future self, focus on these things; lap times will come later.

Last edited:
Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
3-5 Years
Houston
I am still experiencing some weird brake behaviors. It seems the first lap is fine but once things get hot, the brakes seem to lose their bite. I hit the brakes and the car just doesn't slow down. I guess that would be glazed pads but I would think these DTC-60's would hold up. I'm not sure if I'm doing something wrong or this is typical for these pads.
I'll be sending my lap to Blayze/Racers360 but if anyone wants to give their input, it would be greatly appreciated. I can use all the help I can get.
Best lap of the day
Having similar issues as well with brake feel as well. Gloc12. I found braking harder earlier for a shorter amount of time helps some.

How much undeersteer are you fighting? Have you blocked off the front grill about 4” each side to force air thru louver? That seemed to help me on the longer high speed corners with the understeer while trying to get back on maintenance and exit throttle.

Maybe look at your hands if you have any in car video. Perhaps smoother inputs could help keep the car better planted.

I too want to do the racers360. Because my Garmin thinks I’m braking when im drifting the corners…LOL interested in your feedback on that experience.

Bill Pemberton

0ld Ford Automotive Racing Terror
Exp. Type
Time Attack
Exp. Level
20+ Years
Blair, Nebraska
Have used G-Loc for years, but I am not a fan of the 12s up front as it seems when drivers get faster it is just not enough pad there to slow down our heavy beasts. I routinely ran 18s ( endurance pad ) and found them solid, though I always got them pre-bedded. Have been trying the EBC SR11s and they have insane initial bite ( it lessens after a session or two ), but they do run quite hot on warm days -- no fade but the heat came through the wheels quite a bit. Am going to try the RP1s from EBC next as I like the idea of no bedding. Good luck but just tossing out a couple or thoughts with G-Locs or EBCs.

Exp. Type
Time Attack
Exp. Level
3-5 Years
SoCal
Having similar issues as well with brake feel as well. Gloc12. I found braking harder earlier for a shorter amount of time helps some.

How much undeersteer are you fighting? Have you blocked off the front grill about 4” each side to force air thru louver? That seemed to help me on the longer high speed corners with the understeer while trying to get back on maintenance and exit throttle.

Maybe look at your hands if you have any in car video. Perhaps smoother inputs could help keep the car better planted.

I too want to do the racers360. Because my Garmin thinks I’m braking when im drifting the corners…LOL interested in your feedback on that experience.
See I was told I was too hard on the brakes and needed to come off a bit.

I do get some understeer on higher speed sweepers but it doesn't plow through corners. Though I really don't think my issues are car related. I'm 100% certain my lack of pace is driver related.

I do have a GoPro mounted to the roll bar. I've just been using TrackAddict on my phone for ease of use but I should really get in the habit of using the GoPro.

Exp. Type
Time Attack
Exp. Level
5-10 Years
SoCal
Well this passed weekend didn't go the way I wanted it to.

Back at Buttonwillow and was hoping to finally get that elusive sub 2:00 lap or even at least take a second or two off my previous 2:03 time but instead I got 2:04's all day long.
These Toyo RR tires really do feel grip limited but that seems like an easy excuse. After watching my lap videos, there's a couple corners I was messing up but correcting those alone won't take 4 seconds off my time....I need coaching cause whatever I'm doing, isn't working.

On the positive side: the Xineering blip unit works phenomenally! Holy cow this thing is great! I was in a rush to get it set up the night before so I had set it to 25% throttle and 200ms duration which seemed fine on the streets around my neighborhood but on the track, it needed a bit more throttle. I loved being able to simply plant my foot on the brake pedal and not have to even think about maneuvering my foot over to blip the gas. It definitely allowed me to focus more on driving.
Though I have removed the need to heel-toe (and my embarrassing tendency to fat-foot the gas while braking), I am still experiencing some weird brake behaviors. It seems the first lap is fine but once things get hot, the brakes seem to lose their bite. I hit the brakes and the car just doesn't slow down. I guess that would be glazed pads but I would think these DTC-60's would hold up. I'm not sure if I'm doing something wrong or this is typical for these pads.

Best lap of the day

From what I can see:
- royally messed up Sunrise
- lost the rear end a bit in Cotton Corners
- little squirrely coming to the braking zone in Bus Stop
- turning in too early at Sunset
- I think I'm lifting in a few spots when I should be flat on the gas
Will correcting these things and getting grippier tires equal a sub 2 lap? I have no idea but I sure hope so.
What alignment settings are you running? The car seems really unsettled at several different places that make me wonder if part of the grip issue is alignment. Maybe let Will or someone familiar with the s550 platform hotlap it at an upcoming track day for feedback and a baseline.

For the pads - when I was driving my car back and forth to the track I had issues with the pads glazing from the street/highway miles. Pulling the pads out and scuffing them with a large emory cloth sheet on a short piece of 2x6 block made a huge difference. Or using a different set of pads for the road miles.

PaddyPrix

If breakin' parts is cool, consider me Miles Davis
Exp. Type
Time Attack
Exp. Level
Under 3 Years
San Diego
Do you have other data available? Watching the video is fun, but having something like your acceleration/brake/speed is helpful too. When I'm looking at my data, I like the overlay all the laps and check on my consistency, assuming that there isn't too much lap traffic. If I'm consistent on a turn, it's fun to push limits to see if I can improve on say, the 42mph min speed in turn X, well, what if I try for 45? I'll do that over a session, check my exit speed, how that affects others, and the overall lap time. If anything, I'm 3mph faster there, see what that time is worth for the overall, and depending on the course, if that translates into a higher straightaway speed, double win! Then, move onto the next slowest turn and try the same thing. Having the throttle and braking overlay (or X/Y G-forces) tells the story of what your feet are doing, like what we saw when I hopped in for that ACS session on braking into T12.

Exp. Type
Time Attack
Exp. Level
3-5 Years
SoCal
What alignment settings are you running? The car seems really unsettled at several different places that make me wonder if part of the grip issue is alignment. Maybe let Will or someone familiar with the s550 platform hotlap it at an upcoming track day for feedback and a baseline.

For the pads - when I was driving my car back and forth to the track I had issues with the pads glazing from the street/highway miles. Pulling the pads out and scuffing them with a large emory cloth sheet on a short piece of 2x6 block made a huge difference. Or using a different set of pads for the road miles.
That's a good idea, thanks Tom.
I last had it aligned to -2.8 camber front, -1.8 camber rear, 0 toe front, .12 toe in per side rear.
Which sections specifically are you seeing it unsettled? I know it darted around coming into bus stop.

Do you have other data available? Watching the video is fun, but having something like your acceleration/brake/speed is helpful too. When I'm looking at my data, I like the overlay all the laps and check on my consistency, assuming that there isn't too much lap traffic. If I'm consistent on a turn, it's fun to push limits to see if I can improve on say, the 42mph min speed in turn X, well, what if I try for 45? I'll do that over a session, check my exit speed, how that affects others, and the overall lap time. If anything, I'm 3mph faster there, see what that time is worth for the overall, and depending on the course, if that translates into a higher straightaway speed, double win! Then, move onto the next slowest turn and try the same thing. Having the throttle and braking overlay (or X/Y G-forces) tells the story of what your feet are doing, like what we saw when I hopped in for that ACS session on braking into T12.
I do not. Getting a data logger is on my list of upgrades. I was thinking Aim Solo 2 (not sure if the DL is necessary for someone at my level) but I'm open to any suggestions, especially if they're cheaper.

PaddyPrix

Exp. Type
Time Attack
Exp. Level
Under 3 Years
San Diego
I do not. Getting a data logger is on my list of upgrades. I was thinking Aim Solo 2 (not sure if the DL is necessary for someone at my level) but I'm open to any suggestions, especially if they're cheaper.
Track Addict free version. Toss it in the pocket, glove, wherever, turn the video recording off. That'll help us paint a picture of lap over lap, and I'll give you a quick walkthrough (or youtube video?) of what I was just talking about. While we can't necessarily see your throttle/brake application, the speed and g-forces will substitute just fine.

Exp. Type
Time Attack
Exp. Level
3-5 Years
SoCal
Track Addict free version. Toss it in the pocket, glove, wherever, turn the video recording off. That'll help us paint a picture of lap over lap, and I'll give you a quick walkthrough (or youtube video?) of what I was just talking about. While we can't necessarily see your throttle/brake application, the speed and g-forces will substitute just fine.
Oh I have that but I couldn't find anything that compares lap-to-lap

Bill Pemberton

0ld Ford Automotive Racing Terror
Exp. Type
Time Attack
Exp. Level
20+ Years
Blair, Nebraska
I would just jump in an get a Garmin Catalyst. It tells you how your lap is going in real time, you can check out the lap pad it comes with for quick reference right after your runs, and the camera portion is of solid quality..........just saying.

Dave_W

Cones - not just for ice cream
Exp. Type
Autocross
Exp. Level
20+ Years
Connecticut
I've never driven that track, and has been said throttle/brake data would help, but there are a few things I noticed.

You never got to the apex of the first turn - you were only about mid-track. The fastest line is a straight line, so you want to use all the road width available. Around the middle to later part of the lap it also looks like you entered several turns from the middle of the track instead of the outside edge.

It seems like you were "sawing" at the wheel on entry in several turns - there's an initial turn-in, a correction, and another turn-in. I think it's some of the same places 67GTA feels the car is unsettled. I'm wondering if it's the car or the driver - no judgement, just asking. Remember the mantra "Smooth is fast." You want to make one smooth, deliberate turning of the wheel from initial turn-in to apex, and a smooth, deliberate unwinding as you track out and apply throttle.

Are you looking / thinking far enough ahead? For most of the lap, I want to be looking for "big picture" markers about where that car in front is - about 2-3 seconds ahead. A few times it gets further away, but it makes a good guide.

TLDR; - "Look ahead. No, further ahead."

For me (and I'm interested in hearing other opinions), where I want to track out of the corner is the most important point to find/know, then the apex, then the turn-in because that's mostly determined by the apex and track-out points. The corner is an arc defined by the turn-in, apex, and track-out points. The size of that arc determines how much you're going to turn the steering wheel. If you don't know that arc, you don't know how much to turn the steering wheel, and you'll always be making corrections instead of being smooth (and fast). Steering corrections should only be due to changes in grip instead of changes to the line you want to take.

Since the track-out point is most important to me, I want to find that first, well before I get to the turn-in point, and probably even the braking zone. So I'm constantly scanning ahead for those, then glancing (or using my off-axis vision) at the apex to judge my braking, turn-in point, and steering amount. For connected corners, I'm looking/thinking to the last corner exit and working through all the corners backwards to where I am to figure out "the line" and needed inputs to the car through the entire complex.

This is where autocross comes in handy - the ever-changing course designs force you to figure this stuff out on the course walk if you want to do well. I'm always thinking "when I'm here, I want to be looking there" during a course walk.

Pro tip - your visual comprehension is better below your sight line than above it. So if you're looking 100 feet out, you're better able to process things closer in (below where you're looking), than if you're looking 20 feet ahead and trying to process things out to 100 feet. Don't drive off the hood of your car.

Exp. Type
Time Attack
Exp. Level
5-10 Years
SoCal
It seems like you were "sawing" at the wheel on entry in several turns - there's an initial turn-in, a correction, and another turn-in. I think it's some of the same places 67GTA feels the car is unsettled.
Exactly this ⬆️. I initially watched it with no volume this morning - really needed the sound to tell the story. Along with the steering inputs described above, I’m hearing random throttle after braking, before apex. Sometimes during mid-corner as well. Great advice offered by @Dave_W on visualizing the corner, driving the continuous arc and keeping our eyes up - advice all of us non-pros need often!

Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
Under 3 Years
MD
I was thinking Aim Solo 2 (not sure if the DL is necessary for someone at my level) but I'm open to any suggestions, especially if they're cheaper.
I don't have much to add on the driving side but another contender might be the RaceCapture Track Mk3 by AutoSport Labs. A lot of possibilities and potential for your needs. Can use multiple screens/devices and automatic GoPro recording so videos and data can be in sync. I will say though that there is a learning curve to using it. I bought it two days before my last track day and realized I needed more time. Now, this Friday I can finally put it to an honest test. I think @PaddyPrix has experience with it and I know @captdistraction does for sure though they may have the higher end models. Just another option to consider.

Exp. Type
Time Attack
Exp. Level
10-20 Years
For data loggers, if it fits the budget I suggest the garmin catalyst. It is the fastest to review between sessions, as video and data are instantly available. It does not give you tables and charts to deep dive, but has useful information right at hand in an easy to access form (no learning curve), with useful suggestions for improvement.

Exp. Type
Time Attack
Exp. Level
3-5 Years
SoCal
@Dave_W & @67GTA thank you for your inputs. After reading your comments and rewatching my lap, the areas of improvement seem so obvious.
This was admittedly my most sloppy lap; my later sessions looked smoother but yet were slower. I think that came down to over braking and being more cautious with throttle application. I need to remember to focus on being smooth not fast.

Exp. Type
Time Attack
Exp. Level
3-5 Years
SoCal
First ever time at Streets of Willow over the past weekend and man was it fun! Very tight and technical just like Buttonwillow; a lot I can learn as a driver from this track. And it's an hour closer to home....I think this is going to be my new go-to track.

This was also the first time since I started doing timed events where I completely ignored lap times and solely focused on driver inputs. Smooth on the steering wheel and smooth on the brakes and throttle; it definitely made a difference. There's a few points where I can improve that will come naturally purely from becoming more familiar with the track: braking later, taking turns wider, etc.

It was also great to meet @SMGDHG and @Tri-bar ; both of whom are super knowledgeable and eager to help. Both of them and @67GTA gave me some pointers on proper line and braking points. For such a short track, there's a lot to learn.

By session three, I was beginning to get more comfortable with the track and managed a 1:26.4 (transponder) by the end of the day. I'm hoping with some line adjustments and input from friends, I can break into the 1:25's. Then once these RR's are finally corded, I'll get some serious stickies and come back for a hopeful 1:24.x

Best lap of the day

CWW_0995.jpg

CWW_2443.jpg

Dave_W

Cones - not just for ice cream
Exp. Type
Autocross
Exp. Level
20+ Years
Connecticut
I completely ignored lap times and solely focused on driver inputs. Smooth on the steering wheel and smooth on the brakes and throttle; it definitely made a difference.
Exactly - if you improve your driving technique, your lap times will improve. It's cause and effect; faster lap times come from being a better driver. So just work on being a better driver.

That Streets of Willow lap seemed so much smoother than the Buttonwilliow lap. I think you made some really good improvements. If you were practicing good "eyes up, look ahead" technique, you may have found yourself more relaxed as well, as you had more time to plan your driving inputs. When you "drive off the hood" with your eyes down, you can end up being surprised by corners and that can increase mental stress. And that can tire you out more quickly in a session, which causes you to make more mistakes, increasing frustration & stress, leading to a viscious spiral. When you are mentally and physically relaxed, you tend to make fewer mistakes and tire less quickly.

Exp. Type
Time Attack
Exp. Level
3-5 Years
SoCal
I came back to Streets of Willow the following weekend. I was originally planning to go to Big Willow on the 25th for Mustang Driver's Club but I thought back-to-back weekends at the same track would be of better use for my learning. Turns out this was the best choice as this coming weekend at Willow Springs shows a chance of snow.

I had a couple goals for this passed Sunday: 1) get into the 1:25's and 2) get into the habit of using my GoPro for video (being able to see what my hands and head are doing will be yet another data point). I can happily say I met both goals!

First off - I should've been using my GoPro a long time ago. I got it around a year ago and had only used it once on track. I found it rather tedious to turn on and record while trying to get strapped in and everything else at the same time. And the little battery seemed to only last one 20 minute session. I was discouraged to say the least.
Well after doing some more research, it's actually quite easy. I can power on, record, stop recording, and power off all from the Quik app on my phone. I don't ever need to touch the GoPro the whole time at the track. And after changing out the battery door to allow charging while in use, a single battery stays charged all day long.

As for the lap: very first session of the day, I stayed calm and focused and the 1:25 was secured! After watching the video, I looked much smoother than pretty much any of my previous driving and I still saw a couple mistakes so I believe a 1:24 is possible with the car as-is.
1:25 lap

Next step is to play with the GoPro settings as it's quite hard to see anything outside of the car. Also, I need a GPS booster or something. When I had an Android phone, my TrackAddict data was perfect and accurate. Now on an iPhone, the displayed speeds are all over the place; delayed accelerations, delayed braking. Not sure if it's a setting in my iPhone or a GPS booster will help, or just buy an old Android phone to use only for this.

Last edited:
Exp. Type
Time Attack
Exp. Level
5-10 Years
SoCal
Also, I need a GPS booster or something. When I had an Android phone, my TrackAddict data was perfect and accurate. Now on an iPhone, the displayed speeds are all over the place; delayed accelerations, delayed braking. Not sure if it's a setting in my iPhone or a GPS booster will help, or just buy an old Android phone to use only for this.
A good solution might be an OBD II interface. This way you can pick up speed from the car, which is much more responsive than gps. As an added benefit you get RPM’s, throttle position and lots of other data points directly from the vehicle that can be overlayed on your GoPro videos. I’ve had really good luck with this Kiwi 3 from PLX.

https://www.plxdevices.com/Kiwi-3-OBD-Car-to-Smartphone-Connection-p/897346002832.htm

PaddyPrix

Exp. Type
Time Attack
Exp. Level
Under 3 Years
San Diego
I came back to Streets of Willow the following weekend. I was originally planning to go to Big Willow on the 25th for Mustang Driver's Club but I thought back-to-back weekends at the same track would be of better use for my learning. Turns out this was the best choice as this coming weekend at Willow Springs shows a chance of snow.

I had a couple goals for this passed Sunday: 1) get into the 1:25's and 2) get into the habit of using my GoPro for video (being able to see what my hands and head are doing will be yet another data point). I can happily say I met both goals!

First off - I should've been using my GoPro a long time ago. I got it around a year ago and had only used it once on track. I found it rather tedious to turn on and record while trying to get strapped in and everything else at the same time. And the little battery seemed to only last one 20 minute session. I was discouraged to say the least.
Well after doing some more research, it's actually quite easy. I can power on, record, stop recording, and power off all from the Quik app on my phone. I don't ever need to touch the GoPro the whole time at the track. And after changing out the battery door to allow charging while in use, a single battery stays charged all day long.

As for the lap: very first session of the day, I stayed calm and focused and the 1:25 was secured! After watching the video, I looked much smoother than pretty much any of my previous driving and I still saw a couple mistakes so I believe a 1:24 is possible with the car as-is.
1:25 lap

Next step is to play with the GoPro settings as it's quite hard to see anything outside of the car. Also, I need a GPS booster or something. When I had an Android phone, my TrackAddict data was perfect and accurate. Now on an iPhone, the displayed speeds are all over the place; delayed accelerations, delayed braking. Not sure if it's a setting in my iPhone or a GPS booster will help, or just buy an old Android phone to use only for this.
GoPro tips - Try the audio commands. "Go Pro Start Video" and "Go Pro Stop Video" followed by like 3-4 beeps is generally all I use. You've probably seen me using one of those little USB charger things with the batteries, something cheap on Amazon for like $50 comes with 3 batteries, and quality-wise, I find them to be as good as the Go Pro official ones which are also about $50 each... but if I'm wrong, well, you've still got 2 more. I had one that takes USB-B and USB-C as power inputs, and has an LCD screen showing the percentage charged which is kinda nice. If you turn off the GoPro GPS, you'll get around 50 minutes of life, which is enough for two runs if you remember to do the audio commands right as you leave the pre-grid. You can also play with the white balance and get it off of auto, and give it something like 5500K for a more blue hue, and going lower to make them more yellowish, but it will hard code the videos there so you can touch it up afterwards in post, instead of having GoPro constantly playing with it and making it so much more difficult to do so.

If you're a bit nerdier, you can take a look at the GoPro Labs firmware with some experimental features, where you can do things like enable Speed Activation, get past the 4GB file limitation to 12GB, and even have it read from a certain file on boot so you don't have to constantly reconfigure things.

GPS goes off the refresh rate, and you're just now finding out that your Android's brand has a higher one than your iPhone, as Tom mentioned, not much else you can do other than get a standalone GPS to bluetooth/tether and configure in Track Addict, or get some standalone data logger which will probably have something much more precise.

hopefully this video helps --

Last edited:

TMO Supporting Vendors

Buy TMO Apparel

Buy TMO Apparel