The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

FoxBody Red Fox Build Thread Profile - Fox Body Mustangs

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Exp. Type
Autocross
Exp. Level
20+ Years
San Diego
I thought I would give an update on the car. During the process of getting ready to pull the oil pan I found so bearing material in the oil coming out of the pan and in the filter. I decided based on that the engine should come out and gone through to see what is going on with it. So I pulled the engine last Sunday and took it over to JBA. So far we can see the thrust bearing is worn out again. The last time the motor was opened up to add the bigger cam and shaft mount rockers we noticed the thrust bearing was worn out. Here's a picture of the first thrust bearing after it was removed.

ZV0LMzrFTWy8K0mSX_sBl6O=w768-h1024-s-no?authuser=1.jpg

Here's the one that was just pulled from the motor.

U4d9yepL2QWRv13ku6qClxJ=w768-h1024-s-no?authuser=1.jpg

When I originally built the motor I set the thrust clearance to what Woody at Fordstrokers recommended. After everything was torqued down the crank still had the proper clearance I had set it to. I thought the most likely reason for it getting burned out so fast was due to me having the clutch adjusted to tight and I was putting pressure of the thrust bearing causing it to wear out. After the bearings were replaced the last time I went from the T5Z with Maximum Motorsports clutch cable, quadrant and firewall adjuster to TKX with a MDL hydraulic clutch setup with a Tilton 6000 throwout bearing. I set the air gap for the bearing like Tilton recommends and after installing everything I could see I had a over an 1/8 of an inch between the throwout bearing and the clutch fingers so I know I had it set right.

Now I'm down to figuring out what I'm doing wrong that is causing the thrust bearing to wear out. In hindsight I should have checked to make sure after installing the clutch and transmission the engine still had the proper thrust movement. It could be the transmission is pushing the crank forward or there's an issue with the crank. The motor is getting completely torn down to clean it out and even though JBA has a bunch of engine builds in progess right now they are fitting me in to get me back on the road right away which I really appreciate. It's really nice to have the support of a great shop and amazing team of people.

Last edited:
Exp. Type
Autocross
Exp. Level
20+ Years
San Diego
Well we figured out the oil pressure issue. It turns out some dumb person namely me left a blue shop paper towel in the upper lifter valley when he had the lower intake off the car. It proceeded to come apart and find it's way down into the pan where it clogged the oil pick up. The thrust bearing is obviously wasted which is still an issue but the rest of the rod and main bearings look fine. We're still planning to replace all the bearings while the engine is apart. I also have the new oil pump so were going to put it in while the engine is opened up. Plus we have a couple leaks from the back of the engine with the oil galley plugs and the cam plug that were going to take care of.

I'm going to take my transmission and bell housing to JBA and we're going to bolt it up to see if it's putting pressure on the crank that might be causing the issue with the thrust bearing.

Exp. Type
Autocross
Exp. Level
20+ Years
San Diego
I can't believe how I missed this.

mwGzZKcVLKUVc2cuLVj6CNj=w768-h1024-s-no?authuser=1.jpg

I don't know if my friend was trying to make me feel better but he said with how meticulous you are with things are you sure that wasn't stuck to the bottom of the lower intake when you installed it. I'm so frustrated with myself right now.

Exp. Type
Autocross
Exp. Level
3-5 Years
Soddy Daisy, TN
I can't believe how I missed this.

View attachment 92884

I don't know if my friend was trying to make me feel better but he said with how meticulous you are with things are you sure that wasn't stuck to the bottom of the lower intake when you installed it. I'm so frustrated with myself right now.
Dang dude. Well, I'm glad you figured out what the problem was.

Exp. Type
Autocross
Exp. Level
20+ Years
San Diego
It's been awhile since I updated this thread. So since the last post I got the engine back in and took it out to the second SCCA event to test it out. Unfortunately the event didn't go as good as the first. I ran into a couple issues which may have been due to a failing MAP sensor messing with the fueling. The car was really lazy out of the corners. We also noticed the car need some adjustment at tip in when moving from the brakes to the gas. Here's my fastest lap from the 2/18/24 event. I just didn't get the slalom right and lost a lot of time.

After the event I had a few things I needed to address. I had new brakes for the car just never installed them. I bought the Maximum Motorsports IRS brake kit for the car a year ago but never installed it. The rear brakes on my car were done and the cobra calipers were not working right. I think they were dragging really bad and the driver side one was destroyed. Here's the installed MM IRS brakes.

rn6rEWbjpJY8cGd0yiiME8v=w768-h1024-s-no?authuser=0.jpg

I also upgraded the front brakes to 14inch rotors to help compensate for the bigger rear brakes. The only thing I need to work on is a parking brake. I've seen it done friends of mine @Regularassmustang on instagram made one work using a viper SRT10 rear parking brake caliper. I'm hoping to start working on it next month. I have an event this weekend and then the next weekend is MatsLV in Vegas then one weekend break then another event at the end of March. I do miss having the parking brake already. I also got the ABS working again which was nice. I still have my G-force axles I need to install but man I don't feel like doing it. Hopefully the next event goes well and we won't have to do anything to the car before MatsLV since we baically load the car up a few days after the March 10th event and head to Vegas.

Exp. Type
Autocross
Exp. Level
20+ Years
San Diego
The car made it through this weekends event. The new brakes are working really good and we worked on the tune a bit which helped. The car was better out of the corners but the corners were faster this time. I also tested a new set of spring rates front and rear which helped with the cars handling. I placed second in class which was nice compared to the last event. I did have a run that would have won the class but it came to late during my X runs. I dropped a half second on my X runs so I need to work on getting more out out of the car faster again.

Class run

X run

I was happy with the weekend. I do have to look at an oil leak at the valve cover but it's not to bad. I need to give the car a good once over give it a bath then put it back in the trailer Thursday night to start the 6-7 hour drive to Vegas early Friday morning.

Exp. Type
Autocross
Exp. Level
20+ Years
San Diego
Another MatsLV done and it was a great time. It was great to see all the guys and girls I raced with in the NMCA autocross series. The group is great and so much fun to race with that's what makes this event such a good time I'm already looking forward to the next one. The car ran good all weekend. I have a couple things I need to look at before the next event in 2 weeks but other than that the car was good. The handling was also good made some shock changes to work with the higher spring rates in the car and it really helped to settle down the rear of the car. I'm finding the car has more grip then I'm using right now. Not sure if it's due to running old tires all last year and now being on fresh tires.

This year they put me in the Modern Muscle class which I'm not sure why. So the class was made up of new and old Gen Mustangs, Camaros and a few Corvettes. I ended up finishing 6th both Friday and Saturday but I jumped a spot on Sunday to 5th. I only have my runs from Saturday and Sunday since it was raining on Friday and Saturday morning. I really just forgot to get the camera out on Friday and by the time I noticed I was in line to run so it was to late. Here's my fatest laps from Saturday and Sunday.

Now with summer coming up before you know it it's time to make the summer plans. I have a couple things I've been looking into right now. The first is going to an SLA in the front of the car. I've wanted to switch to one for a long time just haven't. i while back I wanted to do an Agent47 SLA in the car but they stopped making it before I could get one. I've looked for a used one but they are hard to find. I found one once but it was for a SN95 car and I guess they had some differences. I've looked at Griggs but not completely sure if his arms would work with a Maximum Motorsports K-member since I don't feel like swapping another K-member in the car. While doing research into Cortex Radial X spindles I noticed they have a SLA kit for the foxbody but I really haven't seen the advertise it. It's a really good price for the kit and it works with the MM k-member but it looks like I would need to get new brakes and wheels for the kit to work. The mention hub to hub the car is wider. Now my car hub to hub is wider than a normal foxbody since I run SN95 length arms. But they also mention running S197/S550 offset wheels. So not sure my 15mm offset wheels withy work with the Cortex kit. They do have a version of my wheel that has a 40mm offset so that might work. They also mentioned needing S197 brakes. The calipers I use are the same ones Wilwood uses in some of thier S197 kits so not sure if I can reuse my calipers. and maybe need a new hat to use with the Wilwood rotor.

The other thing I would like to do is some aero on the car. The front air dam on the car sits so high off the ground. I want to add a splitter to the front of the car but it will sit a mile off the ground. I've seen people cut the 03-04 cobra front bumper and use the lower half since it will extend really far down and add a splitter. It doesn't seem to be much out there for a foxbody that doesn't have a factory bumper. I know Carters customs makes one for the Saleen front bumper which might be a good start. Use that and make something to lower it and fill in the gap that you create by lowering it. Maybe put some ducts between the the splitter and air dam to channel air to oil coolers or other things. Then I will need to add something in the back that works other than I have right now. I want to say CAM only allows for something that sits 8 inches off the body of the car not is that the hatch or off the top my factory LX wing not sure I will have to look into that. I still have time for research before summer but those are my plans so far.

Exp. Type
Autocross
Exp. Level
20+ Years
San Diego
It's been a while since I last posted. I ended up missing the Mar 31st event. I had a clunking coming from the back of the car it sounded like the diff turns out it was the bolt that holds the rear diff mount backed out. It wasn't all the way out but enough to cause the clunking sound I was hearing. The guys at JBA fixed it for me and installed the G-Force axles I had for the car. We had an SCCA event this weekend and it went well unfortunately I finished second. Like usual I ran a time in my X runs that would have won the class but it was to late. One part of the course was a real struggle. You will see it in the video. It was a 90 degree corner into another 90 degree corner and the distance between the 2 90 degree corners wasn't much more then the length of my car and the course was really narrow some cars could barely make it through that part of the course. I ended up running the whole course in first gear. The first video is my fastest class run the next is my fastest X run. My fastest class run was a 47.6 my fastest X run was a 46.9 so I left 7 tenths on the table during my class runs which I really need to work on.

Things that are in the works for the car now is the SLA. I'm leaning towards a Griggs SLA with their spindles. It's been out for a long time a proven to work really good. I've been talking with MCS about building a front shock for the car I just need to get them some data before they can build them. The next thing to work on is the splitter for the front but that will be a summer project.

Dave_W

Cones - not just for ice cream
Exp. Type
Autocross
Exp. Level
20+ Years
Connecticut
Is the double-90 about 20 seconds into your first video? It's hard to see the cones, but it looks like a tight Chicago Box. I think the course designer was trying to slow cars down before going between the islands, so nobody hit those curbs. Depending on who insures the club/event, those curbs are probably way too close to the vehicle path.

TMO Supporting Vendors