The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

Rubber build up in inner rim barrels

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

I am having trouble with rubber build up on the inside of my tire rims at HPDE events which may be causing the high speed vibration I feel at speed. I'm running a factory driveshaft, high quality Apex EC-7 wheels and Firestone 500 tires. The were balanced at installation and I taped weights in place. Now the total weight of the rubber may be small but its location on the inside of the rim barrel at high speed could be significant. Am I barking up the wrong tree here and should I be looking elsewhere for the problem?

if they are on the inside of the rims you really have problems, for those on the barrel of the wheel, I've had good luck with this, but.. you really have to clean the wheels out before sticking new weights to them.

Bill Pemberton

0ld Ford Automotive Racing Terror
Exp. Type
Time Attack
Exp. Level
20+ Years
Blair, Nebraska
Common issue, but at most tracks it is good to rotate the tires at least once during the weekend so you have even wear all the way around. That means at least once during the event you will be cleaning off the clagg, and of course you have them clean when you arrived. Some tracks will birth more boogers than others, so just a thing to be aware of. I know I am going to try Byron J's suggestion on my new Apex rims when they arrive.

Mad Hatter

Gotta go Faster
Santiago, Chile
if they are on the inside of the rims you really have problems, for those on the barrel of the wheel, I've had good luck with this, but.. you really have to clean the wheels out before sticking new weights to them.

ok, on the barrel of the wheels..... point taken.

ArizonaBOSS

Because racecar.
Arizona, USA
Can use cooking spray once the wheels are clean also, rub on with a rag...downside is it will also make future weights difficult to adhere.

Bill Pemberton

0ld Ford Automotive Racing Terror
Exp. Type
Time Attack
Exp. Level
20+ Years
Blair, Nebraska
Heh, AZ, if you use Butter flavored spray can you pop corn with the rim after a hot run as it seems like that spray should go to good use, ha.

Ah, heck, Madcap, I find myself typing rim instead of wheel all the time too, and often when looking for tires some companies will list the rims they sell also. I am afraid, to BS1's dismay, that it is another example of the American version of the English language accepting new slang as a synonym for the correct term.

If you type in Apex rims, Apex Raceparts wheel pictures pop up, so starting to look like it is an accepted term - though technically different.

TMO Supporting Vendors