The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

S550 Undertray cutting to aid radiator cooling

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Exp. Type
Drag Strip
Exp. Level
Under 3 Years
Sydney
Looking at any info for better radiator cooling by cutting open the undertray between the radiator and engine block. Hoping that opening that rectangular area will vent out heat especially when the radiator fans turn on

PaddyPrix

If breakin' parts is cool, consider me Miles Davis
Exp. Type
Time Attack
Exp. Level
Under 3 Years
San Diego
Looking at any info for better radiator cooling by cutting open the undertray between the radiator and engine block. Hoping that opening that rectangular area will vent out heat especially when the radiator fans turn on
But doesn't heat rise? As ugly as it may be, cutting that area out behind the radiator and before the engine on the hood does wonders. Not only for the heat when stopped, but at speed, it'll vent right out as the air coming through the radiator will be looking for a quick escape, and when you go 140+ you no longer have to worry about the hood lifting and trying to take you with it. That's also where you see things like Race Louvers and TracSpec locating their hood vents.

The undertray holes that typically do well are actually usually the tunnels going right at the brake rotors as seen on the PP1/2 undertrays. There are a few who have done big write-ups on the brakes with plenty of data, but I don't know if anybody has done it in undertray windowing. What are your temps like, or how much are you trying to drop?

Last edited:

JDee

Ancient Racer
Exp. Type
W2W Racing
Exp. Level
20+ Years
5 miles from Mosport
Two words. Hood vents.
Really good hood vents, not pretty ones but aero ones like the ones Race Louvers make. And box in your radiator between it and the grille, that packs air into the front of the rad and the vents get it out the back.
As Paddy said, heat wants to rise, the hood vents take advantage of that.

Exp. Type
Drag Strip
Exp. Level
Under 3 Years
Sydney
Thanks for the replies. I’m only looking at modding the undertray at this stage. When I had it completely removed much heated air was blown out from that spot when the fans were on. Anymore info would be greatlyappreciated

Last edited:

TMSBOSS

Spending my pension on car parts and track fees.
Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
10-20 Years
Illinois
Understand. The downside may be lost stability without a gain in cooling.
What time are you running in the 1/4?
if you post a build sheet some of our 1/4 miles folks may be able to suggest a few mods.
Welcome to the site.

TMO Supporting Vendors

Buy TMO Apparel

Buy TMO Apparel