The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

stretch belt TSB 12-8-14

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Can anyone tell me why the pcm needs to be reprogramed when performing this TSB......the Ford service tech could not tell me why so I thought I would ask the forum for advice.
I bought the kit ($174) which includes a new belt, idler and tensioner pulleys and 2 bolts and want to do this myself when I do my next oil change.
Thank you!

302 Hi Pro

Boss 302 - Racing Legend to Modern Muscle Car
Southeast
I looked at the TSB:

https://latemodel.cachefly.net/downloads/tsb05-14/tsb12-08-14.pdf

But, I can't say why the PCM would need to be reprogrammed, unless it includes new timing/fuel parameters to minimize engine knock. Also having TK activated may require PCM removal and sent to Ford Performance for reprogramming to restore TK.

For a U-Code Boss engine running 7K + RPM's, I would prefer the current stretch belt for the AC compressor, but I am fortunately not affected by this TSB.

Post TSB maintenance of the AC belt should be easier with the AC belt idler pulley installed.

Please keep us posted on your progress.
302 Hi Pro

TSB as usual doesn't say what is the actual part failure is. I can't make the connection between "light knock" and the A/C belt system. Is this "knock" a failing idler system and not anything internal to the engine?

I'm thinking I might have this issue, hearing a knock like sound at idle, but its random, not consistent. Its more pronounced with A/C on. My car has build date on 4-11 which according to the TSB means front cover replacement. Would appreciate any info anyone has about this before I take it in. Glad I have a full coverage warranty to 2020.

If it's not covered under warranty you might want to live with it. AFAIR it was in excess of $500 to have my dealer replace it and it was not covered under the powertrain warranty, it was under the 36 month portion and I had just gone out of that window.

If it's not covered under warranty you might want to live with it. AFAIR it was in excess of $500 to have my dealer replace it and it was not covered under the powertrain warranty, it was under the 36 month portion and I had just gone out of that window.

Thanks, I have an aftermarket warranty that covers everything except clutch for another 3 yrs/50k miles. So if I'm reading the TSB correctly its adding the tension and idler. Anyone know just what is the cause of this knocking sound?
If its not a real problem I could live with it, I don't have a lot of confidence in the Techs at my dealership. After Auto Nation took over they seem to have a high turnover in service dept.

TMO Supporting Vendors