The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

Testing at Mid O

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

I'm curious how Christian likes the Dark Horse R vs his 302 R. Edit : sorry I somehow asked on 2 threads. I did know if I liked the S650 in the beginning. With the GT4 and now the Dark Horse R they are pretty damn sexy.

Last edited:
A couple of take aways from the Mid O tests.
These things IMO don't shed heat well, we saw 255 cylinder head temps on a 85 degree day.
The other is the tire/ wheel combination
These are a huge PITA to mount, even at Watson, it took 3 of us, 2 hours to mount 2 sets of wheels. The front wheel / tire combo is not very happy, and those were also where the failures occurred
The tires are very picky about pressure, and with that Itty bitty side wall, they don't handle the corner weight all that well. We had 3 front failures and we're working through the process with Ford and Michelin. Here's a dead sticker tire on lap3.

20240526_122450.jpg

The last thing is the wheels, they look pretty zoomy, but they are heavy. The FP weighs more than both the wheel, and tire put together on a GS car., and they're not forged either.20240526_105814.jpg

steveespo

Lord knows I'm a Voodoo Child
Exp. Type
W2W Racing
Exp. Level
10-20 Years
Cookeville TN
We did that, we'd never win a race
I know, just giving you a hard time. No reason that those tires should fail that way even at lower than 38 psi hot. Word is they are going to enforce minimum TP for the races though. What they are we don't know yet.

I know, just giving you a hard time. No reason that those tires should fail that way even at lower than 38 psi hot. Word is they are going to enforce minimum TP for the races though. What they are we don't know yet.
The problem with minimum pressures is that you will blow right through the performance envelope on the high end. I've been through this before in Porsche Cup.
I have some personal observations, but I can't post them.

steveespo

Lord knows I'm a Voodoo Child
Exp. Type
W2W Racing
Exp. Level
10-20 Years
Cookeville TN
The problem with minimum pressures is that you will blow right through the performance envelope on the high end. I've been through this before in Porsche Cup.
I have some personal observations, but I can't post them.
Got you. And I understand, hopefully we don't have to learn hard lessons the first weekend.

TMO Supporting Vendors