The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

Tire size question for BOSS 302 LS wheels

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Hello. I own a 2012 GT Premium that I modeled to look somewhat like the 2012 black Laguna Seca because I couldn't buy that BOSS in Canada. Anyhow, I want to put on a set of staggered black/machined face 302 LS wheels (19x9 - 19x10). Since you guys would probably know quite a bit about this and aren't going to be biased based on what you're selling, I'd like to get an idea of what size tires would go best on these wheels. Some sites show 255/40/19 - 285/35/19, 265/35/19 - 295/35/19 while tirerack shows 245/45/19 - 275/40/19. When I went to the International Auto Show in Detroit this year, the 2013 yellow Laguna Seca had a staggered set of Pirelli P-Zero Neros 255/40/19 - 265/35/19. Currently I have the stock 18" wheels with the stock Pirelli tires and not being that mechanically inclined I'd really appreciate any input or advice.

Thanks
Shawn

Sticking with the stock tire sizes 255/40/19 and 285/35/19 is a solid bet. Those tires on the 2013 must have been left on from driving in the wet and snow, just ignore them. Post photos of your car once you get them mounted.

One of the other problems I'm having is choosing what tire to go with since they don't all come in the same sizes. I live in Windsor, Ontario, Canada and our winters haven't been that bad in the last 10 + years as far as snow goes but the temp still hangs around 30 or lower for good stretches. That's why I was thinking about going with an all-season tire with high wet traction ratings. The Bridgestone Potenza RE970AS Pole Position fits the bill and comes in 255/40/19 but it doesn't come 285/35/19. It does come in 275/40/19 and 295/30/19. I'm just not quite sure what to think.

GA
5 DOT 0 said:
Some members are running Continental Extreme Contact DS (?) with good results in rain and light snow.

Once my Pirelli P Zeros wear out, I plan to go to an all season tire for daily use (probably Conti DWS), and will then buy some wheels with summer tires for the track. Even in the mild winters in GA I did not like the feel of the P Zeros when the temperature dropped below 50F. I was able to drive gently, but had to hold back on the spirited driving.

I live in Southeast Michigan and want a tire that can be used not necessarily in Michigan winters, but for cross-country driving.

Although I do not plan upon driving the Boss in salty Michigan winters, there may be a time, for instance, when crossing the Great Divide that I may need all-weather rubber. Route 66 with a Boss 302 is the goal.

Discount Tire recommended two replacement tires. The Michelin Pilot Sport all season and the Continental Conti Extreme Contact DWS. The Conti's are available in the same sizes (front and rear) as the P-zeros.

That was one of the tires I was looking at because it would solve the tire size issue but from what I've read on Tire Rack and 1010Tires.com, the Conti DWs and DWSs are soft around the sidewall and don't have that good of ratings for handling and Steering Response. Of course it's tough to get a really good reading on the ratings because a lot of people that review them drive different types of vehicles. Somebody driving a Honda Civic or Fusion, etc... for example would get a completely different driving experience from a specific tire. I've driven my GT in freezing temps and had no problems on the expressways in Canada with the stock Pirellis. I know that on some of the other Mustang forums there are quite a few guys that really like the Conti DWS for an all-season tire. Again, thanks for the input. It does really help.

I have heard good things about DWS, though only as a poor weather tire. Any tire like that is going to compromise dry performance, but as a street tire (assuming you don't track or have track wheels) they are pretty good.

I would avoid Pole Positions. Worst tires I have ever owned (besides OEMs on my pickup). Though it wasn't on a Mustang.

050s I think, it was a few years ago. Considering they are max performance summer tires, the all seasons must be truly horrible. With them at max pressure, they were rolling over and rubbing the top of the sidewall lettering driving "spiritedly" and on the track they would roll so far they would scrub the entire sidewall lettering and hop. I don't know how a tire with so little grip can roll over so far.

Pretty much any tire has enough grip for the street unless you are driving way too fast, but a wet noodle sidewall even if it has the same grip will make a car feel like a station wagon.

Another all-season tire that seems to draw quite a bit of attention on the forums is the Michelin Pilot Sport A/S Plus. I'm not great when it comes to tire sizes but the Pilot Sport comes in 255/40/19 but it only comes in 285/30/19 instead of the stock 285/35/19. Whether a 30 makes a difference compared to a 35 I'm not quite sure. A guy that works at a local tire shop recomended the Pilot Sport PS2 or the Pilot Super Sport if I wanted to go with a high performance summer tire but I still think going with an all-season is my best bet. I know that a lot of the summer tires can't be rotated so I think I'd rather stay away from them.

steveespo

Lord knows I'm a Voodoo Child
Exp. Type
W2W Racing
Exp. Level
10-20 Years
Cookeville TN
I ran Michelin Pilot AS tires on my 911 and they were very good all purpose tires. Rain, cold, dry grip were all very good. Did not drive in snow but I have driven my Mustang in the snow on 18" Blizzak LM 60s, good performance but it's retired from bad weather now.
Steve

Pwr Pony said:
Another all-season tire that seems to draw quite a bit of attention on the forums is the Michelin Pilot Sport A/S Plus. I'm not great when it comes to tire sizes but the Pilot Sport comes in 255/40/19 but it only comes in 285/30/19 instead of the stock 285/35/19. Whether a 30 makes a difference compared to a 35 I'm not quite sure. A guy that works at a local tire shop recomended the Pilot Sport PS2 or the Pilot Super Sport if I wanted to go with a high performance summer tire but I still think going with an all-season is my best bet. I know that a lot of the summer tires can't be rotated so I think I'd rather stay away from them.

It might affect the traction control, as they usually run based on differences between wheel rotation speeds. Someone on here should know if that is a big enough difference to be a problem.

Pwr Pony said:

I would try to stick to the same size overall diameter front to rear. There's 1.3" difference in diameter between the 255/40/19 and 285/30/19. If you wanted to go with that tire, I would get the 245/40/10 and the 275/35/19s. The stock Boss size tires have no choices in all season tires when you shop by vehicle on Tire Rack. There are more choices in the 245 & 275 sizes and with all seasons, I doubt you miss the 10mm.

TMO Supporting Vendors