The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

  • Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

Tires for 3k mile drive & HPDE at COTA

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

3
8
Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
Under 3 Years
Kissimmee Fl
I’m driving 3k miles from FL to COTA for 2 day HPDE in 2017 GT350. I have fairly new Continental Extreme Contact Sport 2 (ECS2) that I just did a 2 day track event at Barber plus about 4k road miles. I’m debating running the ECS2 again or getting some EC Force TW200 tires. I have camber caster plates.

Background: I’m 70 yrs old and just retired from motorcycle road racing which I did
For past 18 years at expert level. I had done car track days prior to that. So I’m getting back into the car scene to be able to still get on track. Barber was my first track day in 20 years. My goals are to just have fun, enjoy the car and keep improving skills. I will have an instructor at COTA (first time there - true bucket list). I do have spare set of Shelby wheels to mount track tires. At Barber I could feel the tires becoming limiting.

So do I buy the ECF ($2k) and drive on them 3k miles round trip or just stick with the ECS2 tires knowing I’ll be limiting their life and giving up a lot of grip. As I’m learning I am moving to intermediate group. Advice would be appreciated.

DSC_7143.jpeg
 
@krisk runs ECF, maybe he can chime in on whether they have enough life to drive the full 3000 miles.

Are you going to change your camber settings once you get there?

My personal opinion is that this is a bucket list item for you (your words), so run the stickier tires.
 
I would definitely get the extreme contact force tires. There are fine on the road and you will be happier with them when you get to COTA.
I’ve done the same trip, FL to COTA but in a golf gti. Have fun!
 

Latest posts

Buy TMO Apparel

Buy TMO Apparel
Top