The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

Tires: Nitto NT05s versus .....

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

PatientZero

@restless_performance
Exp. Type
Autocross
Exp. Level
10-20 Years
Kansas City, Missouri
Im here to disagree. My nt01s i put on new. 315-30 -18 square.
2 weekends on them. mid ohio and road america last week. I cant rotate tires front to rear because of the back spacing on vorshlag wheels.
I can tell you this solid axle car cooks the rears faster then the fronts. no doubt about it. there isnt enough mechanical grip in the rear when you push the car to 9/10 or 10/10. I am an advanced driver, MCS double adj, coil overs, sway bars, a-arms etc etc. I have it all set up well. It laps fast. The rears slide/ scrub at the limit. As a result they wear out faster than the fronts. This assumes proper camber for the track you are on and suspension is set up well etc. And-- the car does not under steer due to rear grip. its because of weight distribution of front engine car. If you ran staggered, it would actually balance this car out better.

My new APEX wheels I will be able to rotate and I wont really care which wear out faster. I'll just rotate them. But for your REAL WORLD data, the fronts dont wear out faster if you know how to drive the car well (trail braking, proper corner entry, balancing the load front to rear with throttle/ brake etc)
independent rear suspension- whole different conversation.
You're not driving a SN95, the OP is.

Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
5-10 Years
Clarksville, TN
Im here to disagree. My nt01s i put on new. 315-30 -18 square.
2 weekends on them. mid ohio and road america last week. I cant rotate tires front to rear because of the back spacing on vorshlag wheels.
I can tell you this solid axle car cooks the rears faster then the fronts. no doubt about it. there isnt enough mechanical grip in the rear when you push the car to 9/10 or 10/10. I am an advanced driver, MCS double adj, coil overs, sway bars, a-arms etc etc. I have it all set up well. It laps fast. The rears slide/ scrub at the limit. As a result they wear out faster than the fronts. This assumes proper camber for the track you are on and suspension is set up well etc. And-- the car does not under steer due to rear grip. its because of weight distribution of front engine car. If you ran staggered, it would actually balance this car out better.

My new APEX wheels I will be able to rotate and I wont really care which wear out faster. I'll just rotate them. But for your REAL WORLD data, the fronts dont wear out faster if you know how to drive the car well (trail braking, proper corner entry, balancing the load front to rear with throttle/ brake etc)
independent rear suspension- whole different conversation.

Thanks for the input. I think I understand some of what you are saying but as stated by PatientZero I am in an SN95. A mostly stock SN95 at that, so not only am I at about half the power you are, your suspension set up is way more advance than mine.

I appreciate you chiming in though, always nice to hear other perspectives and experiences.

TMO Supporting Vendors