The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

S550 Tommy's 2021 MACH 1 Build Build Thread Profile - S550 Mustangs

Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
Under 3 Years
Colorado Springs
Hello everyone,

It's been a couple years since I've been on the forum, but I can't wait to read up on what everyone has been doing. Probably take me a little time to get use to this again. However, no more deployments for awhile. Anyways, I'm now stationed in Germany till 2025 now. Prior to leaving the states I've did some autocross, HPDE days and worked my way up to HPDE 2 with NASA Rocky Mountain Region. Set to go for HPDE 3, but time ran out and I had to move. In Germany, they don't recognize the training or HPDE's we do back home. So I've scheduled some classes for this year. 2 at Nurburgring, 1 Hockenheim and 1 at SPA Belgium. During the year, I've also reached out to instructors at Apex Nuerburg for consistent training.

As far as my goals, the main one is to keep this car and stop trading it in..lol. The season starts in March/April here, so while the car is hibernating, I'm learning to do as much maintenance for myself with it, reached out to Schropp to assist with a four point cage and safety equipment, complete racing seat set up, minor suspension tweaks, 19x11 wheel/tire setup and AIM data log equipment to get the baseline where the car is now. The end state is to have my skills on par as much as possible and the car ready for NASA ST2/TT2 when I return home. You would think three years is a long time, but it's really not.

I'm ready for some consistency as time permits it now, to progress as far as I can with skill and the car itself.

To the build we go!

Bill Pemberton

0ld Ford Automotive Racing Terror
Exp. Type
Time Attack
Exp. Level
20+ Years
Blair, Nebraska
Appreciate your service and it sounds like you have plenty of time to modify. I would look into a few simple things to go fast and have ready when you return. Get some ARP studs, front 25 mm spacer, square set of wheels ( like Apex or Forgeline ) and closer to your return --- sticky tires. Add in a camber plate ( Vorshlag ), some competitive brake pads ( EBC, or pads from KNS Brakes, or OP Mustang ), and with a competitive alignment you are pretty much set. Who knows what the hot tire ticket will be by the time you get back. Sorry you did not have the Air Force ( assumed since in Co. Springs ) ship the car over since it would have been fun to see you ripping around the courses you listed with the Mach 1.

Curious, since you note you are going to do some HPDEs at some very fun tracks in Europe , what will you be driving at those events?

Went around Nurburgring at age 12 in a Mini Cooper and it was the true " Green Hell " back then ---- road with trees to slow you down ,ha. My Dad was stationed at Bitburg AFB ( closed ) though the car was owned by a wingman of his from an earlier posting. It was a riot and those 2 laps may have been what made me decide I needed to race in some form or fashion. Where are you going to be stationed ( if at Spangdahlem you are right in the same area I was for over 3 years ). You will have a great time in Germany, and do post here when you run at Nurburgring, Spa, and Hockenheim.

Why yes it! How's it going young man?! It's been quite sometime!!
Yes it has! Glad to see you are doing well. Working mostly for Kohr these days, we won an IMSA championship in 2020 with an Aston Martin.
I gave up on FB after being constantly censored and having my info mined, MeWe doesn't do that, but they are a much smaller community.
You should contact @ flyhalf for some good info on your car.
Very very glad to see you again.

Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
Under 3 Years
Colorado Springs
Appreciate your service and it sounds like you have plenty of time to modify. I would look into a few simple things to go fast and have ready when you return. Get some ARP studs, front 25 mm spacer, square set of wheels ( like Apex or Forgeline ) and closer to your return --- sticky tires. Add in a camber plate ( Vorshlag ), some competitive brake pads ( EBC, or pads from KNS Brakes, or OP Mustang ), and with a competitive alignment you are pretty much set. Who knows what the hot tire ticket will be by the time you get back. Sorry you did not have the Air Force ( assumed since in Co. Springs ) ship the car over since it would have been fun to see you ripping around the courses you listed with the Mach 1.

Curious, since you note you are going to do some HPDEs at some very fun tracks in Europe , what will you be driving at those events?

Went around Nurburgring at age 12 in a Mini Cooper and it was the true " Green Hell " back then ---- road with trees to slow you down ,ha. My Dad was stationed at Bitburg AFB ( closed ) though the car was owned by a wingman of his from an earlier posting. It was a riot and those 2 laps may have been what made me decide I needed to race in some form or fashion. Where are you going to be stationed ( if at Spangdahlem you are right in the same area I was for over 3 years ). You will have a great time in Germany, and do post here when you run at Nurburgring, Spa, and Hockenheim.

Bill,
Thank you for the support. Yep, I purchased those items from KNS and OP Mustang for the 2019 Mustang I had previously.INL Service for the Army ships our cars and I had it shipped with 1/4 tank weighing in at about 3780 pads. Currently have Girodisc rotors, Pagid racing brakes, stainless steel lines, Castrol SRF already in the car as well. Just hoping shipping prices will be somewhat kind to me as I start ordering parts.

Just want to research the Vorshlag and Cortex camber plates as there is quite a difference in price. Spoke to Rick from Cortex already and after Daytona he's going to help me put a small suspension package together.

I will be driving the MACH 1 on track, have a 2007 Audi A4 for the daily. Waiting on instructor to talk to me about their driving academies and the progression. German class A racing license is earned on the Formula 1 circuit on the The Ring, which there is no way I'm ready for that.

I'm in Wiesbaden area. Actually Brent Dalton is here too, will be doing track days with him.

This is my second time back here, so I'm taking advantage of it all before I get set to retire.

I was back in 2014-2017 with a 2015 GT. My first experience and that's when I got hooked.

Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
Under 3 Years
Colorado Springs
Yes it has! Glad to see you are doing well. Working mostly for Kohr these days, we won an IMSA championship in 2020 with an Aston Martin.
I gave up on FB after being constantly censored and having my info mined, MeWe doesn't do that, but they are a much smaller community.
You should contact @ flyhalf for some good info on your car.
Very very glad to see you again.
So happy to see you as well. Looking forward to ya'll season and I'm sure I'll be reaching out to you for guidance!

Ludachris

Chris
Staff member
Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
5-10 Years
Newcastle, CA
Tommy, I saw your email about starting a thread. Looks like you figured out what was going on. You were probably trying to start a build thread, but realized that creating a vehicle profile will create it for you.

Looks like you have two vehicle profiles - should I remove one of them or are they for two separate cars?

Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
Under 3 Years
Colorado Springs
Tommy, I saw your email about starting a thread. Looks like you figured out what was going on. You were probably trying to start a build thread, but realized that creating a vehicle profile will create it for you.

Looks like you have two vehicle profiles - should I remove one of them or are they for two separate cars?
Hello Luda,

If you could delete the Tommy's 2021 MACH 1 profile that would be awesome! I will be using this one.

TMO Supporting Vendors

Buy TMO Apparel

Buy TMO Apparel