The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

V6 S550 Cooling - Trans and Oil

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
Under 3 Years
The Central Valley of California
I have read up on this much, but want some ideas.
Question #1, I am going to upgrade my radiator to a CSF Racing Radiator, and use water/water wetter for coolant during summer months, maybe winter if Central Valley California isn't too cold for that, thoughts?
Question #2, out on my last two track days my 6r80 trans hit 252* on the third session, making me nervous to push it further. I am going to install my new RaceLouvers this or next month and see how that helps but sheesh 252* is hot!!! Can you please help me figure out the cooling solution! @flyhalf suggested I DIY a Setrab. Can you all help me with a comprehensive parts list? I am a little lost as this will be my biggest DIY yet. I intend to use either a 6-series 650 or 644, if you all suggest these are good choices.
Question #3, should I avoid an oil cooler for now, or do it at the same time?

Thanks for the help!!!
-Cobalt Filly's Young Noob Racer

JDee

Ancient Racer
Exp. Type
W2W Racing
Exp. Level
20+ Years
5 miles from Mosport
Put your RaceLouvers in asap and try again. Don't do anything else until you do that. I found that made a huge difference in cooling in my '16 PP1 car. It's probably the cheapest cooling upgrade you can do, increases airflow through the coolers hugely.
Having an auto trans is a big cooling problem. Manuals are easier to deal with, though the Getrag boxes can be almost as much trouble for cooling as an auto. Any trans on a track car needs to have active cooling on it. Same for diffs.

Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
Under 3 Years
The Central Valley of California
Put your RaceLouvers in asap and try again. Don't do anything else until you do that. I found that made a huge difference in cooling in my '16 PP1 car. It's probably the cheapest cooling upgrade you can do, increases airflow through the coolers hugely.
Having an auto trans is a big cooling problem. Manuals are easier to deal with, though the Getrag boxes can be almost as much trouble for cooling as an auto. Any trans on a track car needs to have active cooling on it. Same for diffs.

Roger!!! Will report back here if nothing changes once done.

TMO Supporting Vendors