The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

Why do I need to 'blip' my throttle when downshifting?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

AUTO-BLiP

Supporting Vendor
Houston
When slowing down before a corner, downshifting gears keeps the engine’s RPMs within the power band. This action has an impact on the entire powertrain (engine, clutch, transmission and differential). Powertrain components greatly benefit from spinning in synchronicity. If you shift to a lower gear without any throttle input, the engine’s RPM falls back towards idle speed. The engine then has to spin up to match the rotation of the transmission shaft, which is now rotating at a different speed due to the lower gear ratio. If not addressed, this results in a jolt, which impacts your drivetrain, as well as your cars performance (grip).
All of this can be avoided by a short press on the throttle (blip) as you downshift. This maneuver is widely known as a heel & toe. This blip helps the engine speed up to synchronize back again with the rest of the powertrain.
AUTO-BLiP automatically blips (opens) the throttle when downshifting gears on an automobile equipped with a manual transmission and an electronic accelerator pedal system. This allows the driver to focus 100% on braking while simultaneously downshifting gears. Purchase at www.auto-blip.com and use promo code TMO23 during checkout to receive a 10% off

TMO discount.png

Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
Under 3 Years
NC
As someone who can't rotate their right foot that well or comfortably (many pins and plates from a crushed heel) - I definitely appreciate the autoblip. Did this mod before ever hitting the track since I didn't want to worry about upsetting the car with poor downshifts. It's definitely helped me for the past year and a half that I've been using it.

How easy are these to install? Is there any issues damaging the wires when tapping
I know @JeffV8 pulled his seat for better access. I'm a smaller guy only around 5'6" and was able to do mine with the seat in. Either way a couple proactive yoga classes might help to twist your body 3 directions at once. 😅. Seriously it wasn't that bad. The nice thing about the wire tap clips is you can unclip and remove the unit if you decide to uninstall. The pins/points that enter the wire to make contact are very small so have no worries about completely messing up wires.

TMO Supporting Vendors

Latest posts

Buy TMO Apparel

Buy TMO Apparel