The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

ZL1 and my Boss on AST4150 review

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

First off let me say it was a crazy day. Was at the gas station near the track. In filling my tires and I hear a boom, I immediately turned around and see a mini van roll over the sidewalk to the edge of the gas station. My buddy and I ran to them and helped as much as possible. They were stuck sideway and 911 told us to leave them as is unless there was a fire. Glad everyone was ok!

CE-8F674EEB8B0A-13949-00000771658F171D_zps7f31b0d6.jpg

My friend rented a ZL1 for his bday. The car is very impressive. It's NOT as alive and responsive as the boss but god damn! Is that thing planted. It's so smooth around the track. I only did 3 laps, 1 was a warm up and ran a 1:33:4 at big willow. The fastest in my boss ever is 1:32:8 (some mods). Today I ran 1:33:4 in my boss with my ast4150 installed. Now let me say I only was able to run a few good laps as I had the LCA relocation brackets installed and they were rubbing the control arm or sway bar and it caused MASSIVE wheel hop under braking, the whole car would shake and jump. So the next hour was spent taking them off then I only got 3 laps. Now let me say I ran higher speeds on the 2 big sweepers. Went up to 129 (GPS) on turn 8(124 ZL1 HUD) before i only got up to 125.The car felt much flatter, maintained better contact and transitioned much much better, but my tires were very worn and i think tbat really hindered me. So next time i need to come back woth fresh tires and get used to the new suspension to really go at breakig my lap time. I drove to the track on 4 click from the firmest and tracked it like that. I thought I would get sick of it on the street so when I was done I put it on the softest setting and drove home. Probably better then stock like this. So definitely fine for a daily driver and very easy and loud solid clicks when adjusting the dampers.

Again for all the Camaro haters I was highly impressed with the car. The interior is much nicer as we but the roof was so LOW my helmet would hit the roof!!! But just so planted but did make it a bit dull, but very easy to drive fast

F2-D6C7F369DAFC-13949-0000077158DB9688_zpsd725e477.jpg
69-FCD47EFBC10D-13949-0000077170CE0E38_zpse29b79b0.jpg
9C-C0D27B15C0E1-13949-000007717A5626CF_zpsb92f56bf.jpg

Here is the corner balance sheet.
F8-A34DA302CD0F-14061-0000077DF52AB962_zps50c66416.jpg

Sounds like a crazy track day. Always takes some time to get "used" to a new setup and the fact that your time was still pretty fast bodes well for the setup.

Know there isn't really a quick transition at Big Willow but any "feel" on how the car transitions now (e.g. a quick left than right)? Usually the coilovers help quite a bit at controlling the car through transitions (tracks like Buttonwillow or Chuckwalla).

Thanks for the update. Do you have a roll bar in your car?

jnathan68 said:
Sounds like a crazy track day. Always takes some time to get "used" to a new setup and the fact that your time was still pretty fast bodes well for the setup.

Know there isn't really a quick transition at Big Willow but any "feel" on how the car transitions now (e.g. a quick left than right)? Usually the coilovers help quite a bit at controlling the car through transitions (tracks like Buttonwillow or Chuckwalla).

Amazing! Much better transition. I only ha a little time at big willow (half day) the rest of the day was at streets which has tons and the car felt completely different there. Only ran a low 1:27 and my old time is higher 1:27 but my tires were toast this time

TMO Supporting Vendors