The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

Aluminator maintenance schedule for my track car ?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Exp. Type
Time Attack
Exp. Level
Under 3 Years
Canmore
Hey all.

I put a 5.2XS Aluminator into my 13 BOSS 302s track car late last year and I'm looking for some general direction on a maintenance schedule for changing fluids. Ford didn't include anything with the engine and I can't find anything on
FordPerformance.ca

I'm currently only attending track days but plan to move into time attacks and beyond in the near future. I just gotta get comfortable with all the extra HP the Aluminator brings vs the old 302 I pulled out of the car.

How often to you all change oil in your cars. How often to you change other fluids? Any input would be appreciated.

QSS

Mad Hatter

Gotta go Faster
Santiago, Chile
Typically its after every 4 hours of track use. You can see that on page 16 of the 302S owners manual (just enter BOSS 302S OWNERS MANUAL in google). But it depends on your driving style and how aggressive you are etc. Since you have a 5.2XS, if you take it over 8000 rpm all the time maybe you might want to cut down the oil change interval a bit. More HP, more heat, more wear!!

My events were usually only 1 hour of track time so I would change oil every two or three events. Some people change after every event, but that can get really tedious when a oil change requires over 14 Liters of oil.

Exp. Type
Time Attack
Exp. Level
10-20 Years
On my GT500 the supplement says 'One track weekend or approximately 4 hours of track use' for oil changes, so similar to the 302S. Seems like a good standard for a heavily worked 5.2.

Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
Under 3 Years
Alberta
4 hours of track time seems reasonable for an oil change. The Boss 302s manual also says diff oil and tranny fluid every 4 hours as well and brake fluid should be changed after each event. Are all of you changing your fluids this often?

I wonder if what the recommendations would be for the 5.2 aluminator.

QSS

Mad Hatter

Gotta go Faster
Santiago, Chile
4 hours of track time seems reasonable for an oil change. The Boss 302s manual also says diff oil and tranny fluid every 4 hours as well and brake fluid should be changed after each event. Are all of you changing your fluids this often?

QSS
For brake fluid it depends on what fluid you are using. For mere mortal stuff, every race. For Castrol SRF, a much much longer interval.

Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
5-10 Years
Arizona

QSS
My track events are ~80 minutes per day.
I change engine oil every 2 events, sometimes 3 if its cold weather, always do oil analysis and the oil is always fine. I bet I could stretch this but no reason to.
I use Redline MTL in my MT82 and I've noticed it will get harder to shift after 3-4 events so I change the trans and diff on that schedule. I do not have coolers which I think would help immensely.

I run Castrol SRF and have never had a single issue with the fluid. I bleed them every few events and refill as required. I've flushed it once but it seemed like a waste of time.

TMO Supporting Vendors

Latest posts

Buy TMO Apparel

Buy TMO Apparel