The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

Don't think I'm ready for stickies yet

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Exp. Type
Autocross
Exp. Level
10-20 Years
Baton Rouge
First time on track with cup 2s and I think I have destroyed them. I have -3.4 and -3.2 camber L&R so I don't think that's the issue.
Turn in is good with no understeer. But one turn, a long 180 righthand sweeper, I kept plowing through which is where I think most of my wear came from.
Pics below are after only 3 20 minute sessions on brand new tires.

Front left
20230929_175642.jpg

Other 3
20230929_175700.jpg

Thought?

Does it look like I need to swap back to a higher treadwear and learn how to drive more responsibly before I try the more sticky stuff?

TMSBOSS

Spending my pension on car parts and track fees.
Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
10-20 Years
Illinois
Learning on Cup 2s can be expensive. It can also be fun. If you have the budget, they are great tires.
Are you running at NOLA? When I ran there last year, the track surface was a cheese grater.
Backing off slightly in the sweeper may allow you to go back to throttle a bit sooner making speeds at the end of the straight higher. It takes patience but should pay off.
GY F1 3’s and 3r may be a good tire to learn on. The R will stick a bet more but wear quickly.

Exp. Type
Autocross
Exp. Level
10-20 Years
Baton Rouge
NOLA. Yes. Finally a full weekend with instructor. It was an absolute blast!!!
It's actually turn 4 that I couldn't bring myself to lift in.

Exp. Type
Autocross
Exp. Level
10-20 Years
Baton Rouge
No, no cords yet.
I guess I'm just surprised at how chewed up these things got so quick. My first 3 times there were on a set of Bridgestone S-04 pole position with a 280 tw. With as crappie of driving skill and how hard I was pushing, there is literally no wear on them.
I was however considerably quicker this time dropping 6 seconds.
Makes me want to switch back and see if any of it was me. Lol

33psi top is what i would do.
Cup2 is not a great teack tire
Is fast (but definitely not the fastest)
Is the most expensive
And doesnt last long
And awful in light rain.

What are you looking for?
A faster tire? A longer last one? Good pace?

TMSBOSS

Spending my pension on car parts and track fees.
Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
10-20 Years
Illinois
NOLA. Yes. Finally a full weekend with instructor. It was an absolute blast!!!
It's actually turn 4 that I couldn't bring myself to lift in.
Turn 4. What did your instructor recommend?
Start center, come off three in center to right, tighten turn gradually and be about 1/2 to a full car off right curb on exit? Turning too tight will scrub off speed will slow you into 5.
NOLA was in need of a repave last year. Did they repave? If not, tire wear is going to be high compared to other tracks.
Moving to a good 200TW tire should extend tire wear. I could get 2-3 days out of cup2’s at NOLA.

Exp. Type
Autocross
Exp. Level
10-20 Years
Baton Rouge
For tires, I guess I was looking for more grip than the Bridgestones. I'm cheap and found a couple of sets of Mach 1 take offs.

The instructor had me going into 4 far left and deep on brakes. Then turn in to late apex at inside curb.

Yesterday watching Fanatec GT race there, they took a line much more like you describe. Infact, most nondefensive lines were in center of track.

Bay Area
Michelin recommends 33-39 PSI hot. It is also dependent on the weight of the car, The mustang is roughly 37-3800 lbs and Michelins starting PSI is 33. I have found that 36 PSI hot is where my car is happy. Anything below that and I can feel the sidewalls rolling. Another thing is your driving style and what you like. What works for driver A might not work for driver B.

I think your tires look fine. I like Cup2s for about 2 mins during that HERO lap, then they fall off quickly. I went to GoodYear 3R and really like them ALOT. plus they are cheaper. My 3Rs look worked way more than your tires after a few sessions at Buttonwillow, so I say just send it and most importantly have fun.

Last edited:
Exp. Type
Autocross
Exp. Level
10-20 Years
Baton Rouge
Thanks for the replies guys. Other than kumhos on a fox body autocrossing back in the nineties, this is my first experience with any kind of soft tire. I just didn't know what to expect.

Back at my first event earlier this year, I had those Bridgestones howling. I could smell rubber and brake dust so bad I just knew when I got out of the car I was going to see some destroyed tires. I was amazed when all four corners looked just fine.
I have dropped 16 seconds off my first outing, so obviously I'm pushing harder. BUT, it's my skills that have TONS of room for improvement!

My next time out will be the 19th. It will be a half day with SCCA.
I plan on putting the Bridgestones back on and driving to the track. I'm hoping now that the excitement isn't quite as sharp as the first few times, I can focus more on being smooth than fast.

It's just that every time I get out there, I get all charged up and wanna go like stink!!

Exp. Type
Time Attack
Exp. Level
10-20 Years
I good rule of thumb is if you are needing to use a lot of steering lock to complete the turn, you are entering too hot, or could probably add more rear bias to your suspension setup. Your camber settings are good, but they work in party with spring rate and bar rate. Sway bar adjustment to soften the front or stiffen the rear may help the car corner more neutrally.

Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
20+ Years
Charlotte
A couple thoughts come to mind:
  1. I’ve seen worse. It’s not too late to save that tire
  2. Rotate your tires frequently to even out the wear. That’s what makes a “square” setup advantageous.
  3. Consider adjusting your line and technique to reduce the extended load on the right front tire.
  4. Do an event at a more tire friendly track.
  5. As the wear accumulates on the other tires, if it’s mostly on the outside shoulder you might even consider having the tires flipped to extend the life another weekend.

Exp. Type
Autocross
Exp. Level
10-20 Years
Baton Rouge
Sorry I haven't responded to this one in a while.

I never really feel a sense of not being able to turn the car enough. In fact, turn in feels pretty damn good. It's just when I get settled in to these sweepers that it feels like the car starts developing understeer. The only things that seem to help when I'm at this point is either lifting or inducing oversteer. I guess taping the brakes works too, but I haven't done that since my first two trips to the track. I guess it's just in my head to not brake in the middle of the turn Or after the apex.

I feel like this is mostly a weight transfer issue and not my line. I just need to be better at setting the car up for these long turns. I think the car should be able to handle the speeds I'm trying to get through these turns, but maybe I'm wrong.

Currently I have the steeda dual rate springs and standard front bar (I think 35 or 36mm) and compition rear.
Endlinks are set at second from front on the front and middle in the rear.

Exp. Type
Time Attack
Exp. Level
5-10 Years
SoCal
Sorry I haven't responded to this one in a while.

I never really feel a sense of not being able to turn the car enough. In fact, turn in feels pretty damn good. It's just when I get settled in to these sweepers that it feels like the car starts developing understeer. The only things that seem to help when I'm at this point is either lifting or inducing oversteer. I guess taping the brakes works too, but I haven't done that since my first two trips to the track. I guess it's just in my head to not brake in the middle of the turn Or after the apex.

I feel like this is mostly a weight transfer issue and not my line. I just need to be better at setting the car up for these long turns. I think the car should be able to handle the speeds I'm trying to get through these turns, but maybe I'm wrong.

Currently I have the steeda dual rate springs and standard front bar (I think 35 or 36mm) and compition rear.
Endlinks are set at second from front on the front and middle in the rear.
This may seem counterintuitive and depends on the corner, but light throttle mid-turn with the Torsen diff will actually help turn the car in long sweepers.

Exp. Type
Autocross
Exp. Level
10-20 Years
Baton Rouge
Yes, I have found myself several times wanting to power through and it can help. This one turn in particular though, just gets worse. Unless I just snap the car to point it correct.

TMO Supporting Vendors

Buy TMO Apparel

Buy TMO Apparel