The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

My S197 Got crushed by a trio of M3's on trackday at Waterford Hills MI

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Exp. Type
W2W Racing
Reno, NV
Looking at the front splitter touching the ground, I would guess this is on the brakes still? Seeing that this car and driver combo got 1:30.7 at Laguna Seca, its a bench mark for a what a S197 can potentially reach.
And probably some help from that dip in 6.

I posted both days, Kurt won T2 over a Viper.

Now that we've totally decimated this poor guy's thread. I think we made the point that S197s are still alive and well. Those cars are pretty tame suspension wise, Ford Performance stuff, but with hi zoot Penske coil overs. No relocation brackets that I'm aware of, although I think the T1 car uses a camberred diff. It could be pretty reasonably duplicated using JRIs

Exp. Type
Autocross
Exp. Level
20+ Years
So Cal
The last line says it all. The driver has a lot to do with it. I have a feeling I could switch cars with him and I would still get lapped. 😂
Have you ever gone directly from a bad car to a good one? It's kinda amazing how much easier it is to go faster. I'm not saying a good car will do it all, but a novice in a bad handling car is really handcuffed.

Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
5-10 Years
Lenoir City TN
Have you ever gone directly from a bad car to a good one? It's kinda amazing how much easier it is to go faster. I'm not saying a good car will do it all, but a novice in a bad handling car is really handcuffed.
I can't say that I've ever driven a bad handling car on the track. In the same respect, I've never driven a car of the same caliber as the Phoenix car. I am a decent driver, but no where near the ability of AJ. I'm not even going to pretend to be in the same league.

I can't say that I've ever driven a bad handling car on the track. In the same respect, I've never driven a car of the same caliber as the Phoenix car. I am a decent driver, but no where near the ability of AJ. I'm not even going to pretend to be in the same

Very few are.. but a well handling car that suits the driver is magic in the right hands

The 3 valve cars are not bad cars. they can put out an honest 300HP at the rear wheels, and 3 years ago one of them won the runoffs in (I think) T3.
Here's the thing, you can have an F1 suspesnion but if you ar erunning 200TDW tires, it won't matter

Exp. Type
Autocross
Exp. Level
20+ Years
So Cal
The 3 valve cars are not bad cars. they can put out an honest 300HP at the rear wheels, and 3 years ago one of them won the runoffs in (I think) T3.
Here's the thing, you can have an F1 suspesnion but if you ar erunning 200TDW tires, it won't matter

I look at that Phoenix car run around and then listen to the people that tell me the S550 chassis needs all sorts of rear spring. Are you sure? 'Cause that thing is fast as hell and it's pretty bloody obvious they've got chewing gum holding up the tail end. It doesn't seem like that bad of a path, especially on a 200tw tire.

I look at that Phoenix car run around and then listen to the people that tell me the S550 chassis needs all sorts of rear spring. Are you sure? 'Cause that thing is fast as hell and it's pretty bloody obvious they've got chewing gum holding up the tail end. It doesn't seem like that bad of a path, especially on a 200tw tire.
Those Phoenix cars are all on A7s or Pirellis. I'm thinking a 200TDW tire might get overwhelmed, unless you really slow the shocks down.

Keep in mind that photo was the car coming OFF the corner, it launched like jack the rat, a pic of the car going INTO a corner, looked like this

View attachment 90292
Love to find out how much aero they had.. from what Hartman says these are usually looking for front downforce and front drag reduction.. i.e. splitter thas low, pointed down, and has mini diffusers on it.. combined with the end plates AND blockers if you have big tires sticking out. all that and then only a moderate wing to match... has anyone actually done this? i ask cause the splitter on this wild beast is quite small and simple.

This makes me think maybe aero is overrated?? hmm.. the fastest car has a small splitter and wing, and this white rocket ship has nothing not even a splitter!!!

Anyone know what exact tire combo Aquilante is running? at 2:35 he shows not only what an excellent driver he is but the car is setup so perfectly it flies through the air off the curbs in the esses.

S197 vs S550.jpg

Last edited:
This makes me think maybe aero is overrated?? hmm.. the fastest car has a small splitter and wing, and this white rocket ship has nothing not even a splitter!!!

Anyone know what exact tire combo Aquilante is running? at 2:35 he shows not only what an excellent driver he is but the car is setup so perfectly it flies through the air off the curbs in the esses.

View attachment 90446
Don't quotes me on this but I think the T1 is running Hoosier 305 or maybe 315s in A7 compound.

TMO Supporting Vendors