The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

Picking up my Boss tomorrow

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Thanks Yellow. I'm going to drill the baffles out to 3/4 and see what I can do with the band. My bro lost his steel bits but I'm sure they are in his shop somewhere so just need to find them.

So a couple more noob questions:

What is the thing in the lower grill with the wire coming out of it? It almost looks like a plug for a cigarette lighter.

Anyone installed the Craig's plate bracket? I was poking around in there while washing the car and there is a bottom plastic cover to the bumper that seems to block access to the mounting point.

And seeing the thing with the wire got me thinking, anyone tried adding a sprayer for the radiator? It was a pretty popular mod for the intercooler in the turbo scene, wondering if it would help with the temps people are getting on the track.

CaliMR said:
What is the thing in the lower grill with the wire coming out of it? It almost looks like a plug for a cigarette lighter.
That's the air temperature sensor.

Anyone have issues with paint on these? Sun finally came out and there is speckles in one of the fenders. Also there is a scratch that somebody tried to touch up, probably the dealer I bought it from. Left a message with them but they haven't got back to me yet.

Pics

Fender
DSC08068.jpg
DSC08065.jpg

Bumper
DSC08067.jpg

The salesman got back to me, and he is going to talk to his boss about the chip. If it didn't have touch up paint in it, I would have assumed I did it after buying it. I'm going to try buffing out the pits, just to see what happens. My buddy at a local body shop took a look and he thinks it will need to be repainted, but he always thinks things need to be repainted ::) so we will see.

Wow that's bad. Deysha needs to get out her beatin' stick and go down to final prep.

Don't try to buff it. Let them do it. That way it's ALL on them. The paint should be pristine, with a fair amount of orange peel.

That sucks about the chip somebody tried to cover up. I hope the dealer does the right thing and takes care of it for you. Regarding the tiny black speckles my car also had them on the hood and front fenders. I assumed it was overspray from painting the roof black and a bad masking job. I actually took care of it myself with clay bar and detail spray. I didn't trust somebody at the dealership doing it because it's just another car to them. I had a black mach1 before this with near perfect show quality paint so I know that I'm going to be careful with the paint and not add scratches and swirls.

CaliMR said:
Thanks Yellow. I'm going to drill the baffles out to 3/4 and see what I can do with the band. My bro lost his steel bits but I'm sure they are in his shop somewhere so just need to find them.

So a couple more noob questions:

Anyone installed the Craig's plate bracket? I was poking around in there while washing the car and there is a bottom plastic cover to the bumper that seems to block access to the mounting point.

And seeing the thing with the wire got me thinking, anyone tried adding a sprayer for the radiator? It was a pretty popular mod for the intercooler in the turbo scene, wondering if it would help with the temps people are getting on the track.

Installed the Craigs Bracket shortly after I got my Boss. Fits fine.DSCF0026.jpg

GotCurvz said:
That sucks about the chip somebody tried to cover up. I hope the dealer does the right thing and takes care of it for you. Regarding the tiny black speckles my car also had them on the hood and front fenders. I assumed it was overspray from painting the roof black and a bad masking job. I actually took care of it myself with clay bar and detail spray. I didn't trust somebody at the dealership doing it because it's just another car to them. I had a black mach1 before this with near perfect show quality paint so I know that I'm going to be careful with the paint and not add scratches and swirls.

I am going to try the clay bar today. As far as I can tell it is only the one fender, and nowhere else on the car. And it is mostly just on the top part. I agree, I rather not have them work on it but if I can't get them out then might as well.

The chip... yeah I am really not happy about that. I mean things happen, cars get dinged, but they should have fixed it because obviously someone saw it if they tried to half ass fix it. They are going to let me know in a couple days whether they are going to fix it, I sent my salesman pics and he is running it up the ladder to see if they can do something. I know 100% it was not a scratch I did after buying it though as I would have remembered putting on touch up paint let alone buying touch up paint. I have no other issues with the dealer, so don't get me wrong the salesman was really low pressure, the finance guys didn't push too hard with stuff, they gave me a full tank of gas, in all a pretty good experience. And it was probably some goober that chipped it and tried to touch it up himself so the boss wouldn't know.

Plate looks good, I think I'm going to order one. Also going to order the 302S grill soon, just not sure whether to do the trim part white to match the car or black to match the roof/graphics.

It is supposed to be with most cars but it isn't always done. My point was that they have done me right with everything else.

Yes most but from what my dealer told me ALL Fords. That's good that they took care f you. Hopefully they will make it right.

BLAZN BOSS

Jza1736 said:
Yes most but from what my dealer told me ALL Fords. That's good that they took care f you. Hopefully they will make it right.

Cars come off the trailer with the minimum of gas needed...........Its not required that they fill it up, its a courtesy.

BLAZN BOSS said:
Cars come off the trailer with the minimum of gas needed...........Its not required that they fill it up, its a courtesy.
It is not a courtesy, Ford pays for it. Some dealers want you to believe they are doing you a favor or it's part of the dealer fee but it is not.

BLAZN BOSS

Nope...........they are re-embursed for it...........not a requirement.

BLAZN BOSS said:
Nope...........they are re-embursed for it...........not a requirement.

That may be the case, IDK but the intent is for the dealer to fill it up. I would assume if a dealer is that bad and does not fill up the car they probably say they did and pocket the money anyway. I have never bought a new Ford without a tank of gas in it, including my new truck with a 36 gallon tank.

I've bought cars that had the reserve light on, though don't remember if any were Fords. Usually you go back in and ask and they will pretend they just forgot. When I bought my Evo, I swear it had a full tank of gas when I test drove it but it was almost empty when the paperwork was done. My bro says he remembers it being full for the test drive too. I didn't notice the low fuel until I was several miles down the road and it has such a small tank it wasn't worth going back.

Clay bar took 90% of the pits out, or at least cleaned them out so they look like they are gone. The other 10%, it had no affect on at all. Basically the smallest and lightest ones are gone, but the bigger and darker ones are still there. The light ones were gone in 2 or 3 passes, the darker ones just would not change no matter how many passes. If it stays this way, I would say it is acceptable. Being white, you can only really see them up really close. If it were orange I would probably still not be happy with it.

TMO Supporting Vendors

Latest posts

Buy TMO Apparel

Buy TMO Apparel