The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

Reducing GT350R Heat Soak with E85 and a CAI?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
3-5 Years
Los Angeles
I've loved my '18 350R since the day I got it, and have taken it to many track days. I'm improving my abilities and as such lap times are coming down.

My last 3 track days have been at Big Willow and I'm running a consistent 1:31. I'm pretty happy with these times and my progression, but I'm not happy about how my engine performance degrades throughout the day. My engine oil temps have always remained within the normal range, however as I progress through each track day the reduction in engine performance is noticeable, especially around the uphill sections of Big Willow.

The reduced price and engine temperatures that a switch to E85 brings are very attractive. I'm not looking for maximum horsepower gains, I know that isn't the limiting factor in my lap times. What are your thoughts on how a switch to E85 + a better intake would affect my engine's performance on a hot track day?

I'm currently leaning towards Lund's E85 tune, however I am open to other suggestions including the Flex Commander. Lund explicitly recommended the PMAS Fenderwell Intake, however I am not convinced that is the best intake for my needs.

Looking for any and all thoughts on this prospective upgrade.

Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
5-10 Years
Arizona
E85 will help cooling with port injection, albeit minimally. Direct injection engines benefit more.

I think even with E85 and the best intake possible you're still going to have this issue. Ambient temps increase throughout the day. The GT350 intake is pretty good as is.

Bay Area
Couple of ideas here. Do you let your car runs for a few mins after each session? If not, you should, The coolers are still working and it helps keep everything cooler. Bring a blower to cool the engine compartment like you would brakes.
A lot of NorCal members run TH and Button Willow in the summer and don't really have issues and those areas are just as hot and TH is harder on the car the WS in my opinion.

If you think your engine is heating up the intake air charge, you could try something like this:

Ceramic coating or wrapping the headers would probably also help abate under hood temps if you're worried about hot engine bay air sneaking into the intake air filter area.

Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
3-5 Years
Los Angeles
Couple of ideas here. Do you let your car runs for a few mins after each session? If not, you should, The coolers are still working and it helps keep everything cooler. Bring a blower to cool the engine compartment like you would brakes.
I do let the car run for a few minutes after sessions but I've never thought about bringing a blower with me to the track.

Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
3-5 Years
Los Angeles
If you think your engine is heating up the intake air charge, you could try something like this:

Ceramic coating or wrapping the headers would probably also help abate under hood temps if you're worried about hot engine bay air sneaking into the intake air filter area.

The problem, as I understand it, with the heat shield on the intake manifold is that as far as the sensors (MAF, intake temp) are concerned, it doesn't exist because it is downstream from them. I'm sure it helps reduce actual intake temperatures compared to stock, but I'm sure it will actually help the engine perform any better.

Wouldn't downstream of the sensors be the most important place? If the ECU is determining the fuel trim table for the density (temperature) of the air at the intake sensors and then the density was much lower in the intake manifold (higher temperature) as the air makes its way into the cylinder, you would be losing performance since that change was unaccounted for by the computer.

Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
3-5 Years
New York
From personal experience with e85 and the pmas fenderwell intake there is definitely an advantage for power. As far as cooling we're talking apples to oranges because my car is a GT not a gt350. I can tell you the highest my IAT's get is about 20-25 degrees over ambient sitting in traffic with the pmas intake. Regular driving is always about 5 degrees over ambient. Coolant temps and cylinder head temps do seem to stay lower longer with e85 for my GT.

One big downfall is on long sweeping left hand turns I'll hit fuel cut for anything less than 3/4 of a tank. I end up always bringing much more fuel then I need and top off after every session to be safe. So far its only been NJMP Lightning T8 that I've noticed it so far.

Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
3-5 Years
Los Angeles
I would consider some vents in the hood. I have a track spec center vent and the amount of heatwaves I see coming out of it is impressive to say the least. Now Im considering the two side vents.
That is a conceptually-sound idea, however I'd like to avoid mutilating my hood if possible. No doubt a larger hood vent would reduce engine bay temps (and front end lift), but I would like to keep my 350 looking stock. I don't believe there are any significant upgrades to the 350R's radiator either...

PaddyPrix

If breakin' parts is cool, consider me Miles Davis
Exp. Type
Time Attack
Exp. Level
Under 3 Years
San Diego
While I have a Coyote, the e85 certainly helped with keeping temps low, running just fine on 115 days when everybody else couldn't, and since we lost Auto Club Speedway, there's no more banked high G left turns in SoCal that'll require you going out with a full tank. I can understand your aesthetical needs, perhaps grab a junkyard hood, and a simple wrap to color match, and gut that up? There's a decent cooling benefit to cutting holes in it right after the radiator which creates a nice pocket that not only extracts heat, but also combats lift. If you're lapping, try a cooldown lap or two, as even with the most powerful fan ever let's say you'll blow say, 50mph... compared to a half ass lap coasting through the turns with minimal/no braking at like 75mph and a gear up.

Bay Area
That is a conceptually-sound idea, however I'd like to avoid mutilating my hood if possible. No doubt a larger hood vent would reduce engine bay temps (and front end lift), but I would like to keep my 350 looking stock. I don't believe there are any significant upgrades to the 350R's radiator either...
There are plenty of good used hoods out there. You can even get an Anderson composite fro less that a new OEM hood and cut it up.

Bay Area
While I have a Coyote, the e85 certainly helped with keeping temps low, running just fine on 115 days when everybody else couldn't, and since we lost Auto Club Speedway, there's no more banked high G left turns in SoCal that'll require you going out with a full tank. I can understand your aesthetical needs, perhaps grab a junkyard hood, and a simple wrap to color match, and gut that up? There's a decent cooling benefit to cutting holes in it right after the radiator which creates a nice pocket that not only extracts heat, but also combats lift. If you're lapping, try a cooldown lap or two, as even with the most powerful fan ever let's say you'll blow say, 50mph... compared to a half ass lap coasting through the turns with minimal/no braking at like 75mph and a gear up.
California Speedway is not doing HPDE anymore?

PaddyPrix

If breakin' parts is cool, consider me Miles Davis
Exp. Type
Time Attack
Exp. Level
Under 3 Years
San Diego
California Speedway is not doing HPDE anymore?
Guessing some environmental ban lifts on the massive toxic dump underneath the track, and they're going to build warehouses to expose a bunch of people to it for 34.444 hours a week. The plan was to cap the main straightaway into the pit lane entrance/exit into a 1/4 mile loop, and have already leased/sold off all the rest of the space used by auto x's and karts.

Bill Pemberton

0ld Ford Automotive Racing Terror
Exp. Type
Time Attack
Exp. Level
20+ Years
Blair, Nebraska
Kevin,
A GT500 CF hood from Anderson composites should do the trick, as I never saw high temps on any of my Mustangs after putting a CF hood ( from Chicane23.com ) on the S197s or the Mach 1. I honestly believe that is an easier step, and that way you would not have to cut up the original hood. When you sell it sometime in the future, most buyers will want the original hood and not one that is cut up, imho.

Bay Area
Guessing some environmental ban lifts on the massive toxic dump underneath the track, and they're going to build warehouses to expose a bunch of people to it for 34.444 hours a week. The plan was to cap the main straightaway into the pit lane entrance/exit into a 1/4 mile loop, and have already leased/sold off all the rest of the space used by auto x's and karts.
Ahh man, that sucks. Tracks are already far enough away from San Marcos. I miss Carlsbad but I sure do like having 3 tracks close to me.

TMO Supporting Vendors