The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

Track Time Videos

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
Under 3 Years
MD

Open track day (Seat Time) at Summit Point last October on 315/30R18 Conti ECF. It's been a very consistent tire and very heat/pressure tolerant. In this video, the tires have ~12 track days at 3 different tracks and ~800 street miles. They're great lapping tires if you're not looking for a PB. The ECF is 2-3 seconds off my GY SC 3R times.
Nice lap. I'm hoping to participate in Seat Time this year. I know you have to be in the advance group in SCCA to be approved and I missed the event last weekend to move up. I was a flagger at the last SCCA event at Jefferson and missed the chance to talk to you. Hope to see you out there later this year.

MD
Nice lap. I'm hoping to participate in Seat Time this year. I know you have to be in the advance group in SCCA to be approved and I missed the event last weekend to move up. I was a flagger at the last SCCA event at Jefferson and missed the chance to talk to you. Hope to see you out there later this year.
Solo drivers, intermediate and advanced, should be eligible: Must be “Solo” qualified through FATT or a recognized club/organization, or a competition driver with a current competition license.

I'll be at the March 23-24 SCCA event at Shenandoah and April 12 Seat Time.

Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
Under 3 Years
MD
Solo drivers, intermediate and advanced, should be eligible: Must be “Solo” qualified through FATT or a recognized club/organization, or a competition driver with a current competition license.

I'll be at the March 23-24 SCCA event at Shenandoah and April 12 Seat Time.
They just opened a new group for seat time for “Advanced Intermediate”. I just signed up for the April 12 event. They wanted me to get signed off for Advance with SCCA or FATT first. No issues with that

look forward to meeting you there

Duane Black

Curbs go brrrppp
Exp. Type
Time Attack
Exp. Level
5-10 Years
Durham, NC
I need a V8... (@Apex3V , first time I've ever said that)

You guys run with each other and have so much fun.... I don't really have the torque to be properly equal with a 3v, and I definitely am not on even spots with a 5.0 Coyote...

Anyways, heres a couple of videos... my first and last sessions at Barber from my first and so far only day on the track! iRacing and the Ross Bentley/Peter Krause Speed Secrets track walks are instrumental to me in learning a track.

In the first video, you can see me experiment with curbs, pick the good and bad, and begin working on my confidence.

These laps are pretty much just about nailing the marks consistently. Brake a little less, gas a little earlier..

Fast laps! (this is also posted to the new lap time board.)

Fabman

Dances with Racecars
Exp. Type
W2W Racing
Exp. Level
20+ Years
Pleasanton: 1/2 way between Sonoma and Laguna Seca

Fabman

Dances with Racecars
Exp. Type
W2W Racing
Exp. Level
20+ Years
But the budget for purple crack?...I guess he has a kidney he could sell ...
You could always put some big 200 TW tires on it.

Fabman

Dances with Racecars
Exp. Type
W2W Racing
Exp. Level
20+ Years
Yeah, they are getting a little bit pricey. :(

Screenshot 2024-04-11 093538.png

Fabman

Dances with Racecars
Exp. Type
W2W Racing
Exp. Level
20+ Years
No cheaper here:

Screenshot 2024-04-11 094132.png

Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
5-10 Years
Lenoir City TN
I need a V8... (@Apex3V , first time I've ever said that)

You guys run with each other and have so much fun.... I don't really have the torque to be properly equal with a 3v, and I definitely am not on even spots with a 5.0 Coyote...
Your V6 was faster than alot of V8 cars on track, myself included.

Exp. Type
Autocross
Exp. Level
Under 3 Years
North Alabama
I hope MCA does another Barber event next year. I'll have to make it there next time since I'm only about 2 hours away. It's nice to see some fast laps. I ran my first track day at Barber a few weeks prior with Chin. This was my fastest lap of the weekend but as I found out, there's a lot more to pay attention to then just trying to set fast laps the first time out haha

Bill Pemberton

0ld Ford Automotive Racing Terror
Exp. Type
Time Attack
Exp. Level
20+ Years
Blair, Nebraska
Duane is so correct because driving a momentum car is often a fantastic vehicle to learn with , because keeping the speed up requires more and more skill to hit every apex, brake at just the exact spot and to work at getting into the power as soon as possible -- a feeling of hammering the gas with control even sooner than your mind allows. Now everyone will say that these comments apply to all cars and I will agree, yet a slower car forces you towards precision as little losses on track are very difficult to recover unlike the growl of the V8/V10/V12 or turbo/sc smashed pedal. Part of the reason Miata drivers often find themselves adapting quickly when they get into a much faster car they realize something those with high powered cars do not grasp as easily --- all cars are momentum cars!! Duane already wrings alot out of a vehicle that demands you not even sneeze once during a lap and there is no doubt when he finally gets a V8 Stang he will take all his years of hustling a V6 and be extremely fast with his newly increased power.

Last edited:

Duane Black

Curbs go brrrppp
Exp. Type
Time Attack
Exp. Level
5-10 Years
Durham, NC
Aw, shucks. ☺️

Duane is so correct because driving a momentum car is often a fantastic vehicle to drive in , because keeping the speed up requires more and more skill to hit every apex, brake at just the exact spot and to work at getting into the power as soon as possible -- a feeling of hammering the gas with control even sooner than your mind allows. Now everyone will say that these comments apply to all cars and I will agree, yet a slower car forces you towards precision as little losses on track are very difficult to recover with just a growl of the V8/V10/V12 or turbo/sc pedal. Part of the reason Miata drivers often find themselves reasonably quick when they get into a much faster car as it reinforces and they realize something those with high powered cars do not grasp as easily --- all cars are momentum cars. Duane already wrings alot out of a vehicle that demands you don't even sneeze once during a lap and there is no doubt when he finally gets a V8 Stang he will take all his years of hustling a V6 and be extremely fast with his increased power.

Fabman

Dances with Racecars
Exp. Type
W2W Racing
Exp. Level
20+ Years
Duane is so correct because driving a momentum car is often a fantastic vehicle to learn with , because keeping the speed up requires more and more skill to hit every apex, brake at just the exact spot and to work at getting into the power as soon as possible -- a feeling of hammering the gas with control even sooner than your mind allows. Now everyone will say that these comments apply to all cars and I will agree, yet a slower car forces you towards precision as little losses on track are very difficult to recover unlike the growl of the V8/V10/V12 or turbo/sc smashed pedal. Part of the reason Miata drivers often find themselves adapting quickly when they get into a much faster car they realize something those with high powered cars do not grasp as easily --- all cars are momentum cars!! Duane already wrings alot out of a vehicle that demands you not even sneeze once during a lap and there is no doubt when he finally gets a V8 Stang he will take all his years of hustling a V6 and be extremely fast with his newly increased power.
Exactly. This is why when I was training stock car drivers I would take them to the kiddie go cart track….every turn of the wheel scrubs speed and it becomes very obvious what helps and what hurts speed.

TMO Supporting Vendors

Buy TMO Apparel

Buy TMO Apparel