The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

TracKey is here! Those that are installing - please post!

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dealer just called with a couple questions. They wanted to verify I hadn't changed my rear gear and also wanted to know what size track tires I was running. Since I'm currently running two different track tire sizes, and will be trying yet another next spring I told them to just set to factory sizes. For the occasional street use, I want the speedo to be correct! I have a GPS based lap timer that shows true speed for the track, and realistically the speedometer's not that important on the track anyway.

He said they've been going back and forth with Ford because the install hasn't gone as smooth as advertised, but they're getting there. No surprise there really, since this is their first install. I'm guessing other dealers will go through some learning curve on their first one too.

98RedGT

2012 #552
So how do you know if TracKey software has been installed? I assume there is something in the message center that will tell you. Will the car even start if you use the Red Key without TracKey software?

98RedGT said:
So how do you know if TracKey software has been installed? I assume there is something in the message center that will tell you. Will the car even start if you use the Red Key without TracKey software?
The car will run the street tune with both the red and black keys as delivered. Once TK software has been installed and when the car is started with the TracKey, the message center in the instrument cluster will display "TRACKEY ACTIVE TRACK USE ONLY"

All this info is in the link that 5 DOT 0 attached.

All I can do is laugh at this point. Apparently the IDS tools the dealers use to download and install calibrations can't download TracKey. Ford doesn't know why it is having this communication issue and have no ETA as to when it will be resolved.

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

I just got the official email that TracKey is now available, as of today. I called the dealer where I bought the car to schedule an install. Now I am waiting on them to 'find out' about it and call me back. I had to explain to the service department what is was, not very confidence inspiring.

Can't wait to hear the feedback if anyone gets a successful install today!

ArizonaBOSS

Because racecar.
Arizona, USA
cloud9 said:
All I can do is laugh at this point. Apparently the IDS tools the dealers use to download and install calibrations can't download TracKey. Ford doesn't know why it is having this communication issue and have no ETA as to when it will be resolved.

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Hopefully this is resolved before Thanksgiving...

**Update** Just got a call from the dealer and they are downloading a new update to their software. They asked me to drop the car and they're hoping they'll be able to flash it in the morning. We need a little more drama don't we?

5 DOT 0 said:
Here's a link for TracKey Instructions. Cloud9 please review before heading to the dealer tomorrow. ;)

http://www.fordracingparts.com/trackey/include/TracKey%20Customer%20Instructions%201.0.pdf

Interesting about the TRACKEY IDLE ENABLED part. Similar to what I experienced at MMP at Track Attack but theirs said "Trackey Engine Management Enabled" after it warmed up.

;D ;D ;D Got my appointment for first thing tomorow !!! Thanks to you few that went yesterday (guinea pigs ?), hopefully the bugs are worked out and it will be a smooth install.

It feels like Xmas Eve.

Boss 1276- I was told this morning that mine was backordered as well but the dealer just called to tell me they were mistakenly looking at the actual "Track Key" itself. Since our cars shipped with the key, that is not an issue. The program is available and I am scheduled for this Friday. I can't wait!

ArizonaBOSS

Because racecar.
Arizona, USA
65venom said:
Boss 1276- I was told this morning that mine was backordered as well but the dealer just called to tell me they were mistakenly looking at the actual "Track Key" itself. Since our cars shipped with the key, that is not an issue. The program is available and I am scheduled for this Friday. I can't wait!

Oh man I hope my dealer is not making that same mistake. Emailing now...

Not sure which thread I should post my experience, so I apologize it's in two places.
Wow! I got the TracKey installed this morning - one hiccup, the IDS software had to be redownloaded. Other than that, install was smooth.

I also noticed the initial higher idle speed right off. After a blip of the throttle came the lopey idle. Out for the drive, the throttle response and engine braking are real noticeable at low speeds. Word of caution - at low speeds make sure you don't lift off the throttle if someone is tailgating - it's like throwing a boat anchor out the back! The engine overrun sound when lifting off at highway type speeds reminds me of the sound I heard in the '71 351 Cleveland. After a bunch of fun, spirited driving, I parked, and opened the door - I swear I could SMELL a difference in the exhaust. This TracKey hits all the senses 8)

Is it worth it - to me it sure is! I was grinning from ear to ear when I parked.

The usual dealer learning curve on Bosses again. I dropped my car off this morning after being assured that all they needed was the car and the keys, even after I told them I thought they needed to order.

Well, now it is ordered and hopefully will be in next week. What a letdown ....
Glad to hear the rave reviews - can't wait to try it myself.

Found a local dealer that had two kits in stock so I have an appointment for 7:30 Saturday morning. :p

cloud9 said:
5 DOT 0 said:
Found a local dealer that had two kits in stock so I have an appointment for 7:30 Saturday morning. :p
You're going to have them program both keys with TracKey? Always gotta one up us don't ya :p
Haha. A Boss owner local to me is having his installed at the same time for a package price. ;) He has a track day at Thunderhill on Nov. 19th. The dealer has already sold and installed 8 kits since Tuesday.

5 DOT 0 said:
Here's a video from a dealer showing how TK works.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XUvUC_kbmAk&sns=em[/youtube]

Back to the idle --
That video (4:05 - 4:20) has a different sounding idle than this video:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K5p8WQj9apw&feature=related

Could the differences be the discs?

TMO Supporting Vendors

Latest posts

Buy TMO Apparel

Buy TMO Apparel