The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

What did you do to your Boss 302 or S197 today?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Re: What did you do to your boss today?

steveespo said:
I think I have a problem........
photo14_zps82cee22d.jpg

Steve
Are you going to track it? ;D

My wife drives it's big brother.

IMG_2419_zpsa78b2e49.jpg

steveespo

Lord knows I'm a Voodoo Child
Exp. Type
W2W Racing
Exp. Level
10-20 Years
Cookeville TN

Picked up the Fiesta as a DD since I will be commuting 110 miles a day for my next project. For the savings in gas I will be +$6 a month on the deal vs driving my truck. Mustang is officially off the road and will begin transformation into an Arizona Edition Mustang. Only I am not scraping out undercoating for a week :eek:

Steve

Took the mustang to the dealer to check out rust spots on the hood.
While detailing the car, I noticed the paint was bubbling and the hood was rusting inside out. A little research revealed that it's a "common" problem with ford aluminum panels, which are getting contaminated with steel tools during stamping and manufacturing.

So guys, check out your hoods and other aluminum panels (if we have any) on the car - before your warranty runs out!
Mine started rusting right above the headlight, where the hood overlays the headlight (both over and under the hood).

Also just got a call from the body shop, asking me if the vinyl was a factory item, because their system wasn't showing factory vinyl, weird. If warranty work is approved, the guy said the whole hood has to be sanded and resprayed.

Just installed the jack plates that I got from 06mach1. Took a minute to figure out what I was doing, but once I found the right tool to pull those stupid push pins in it went well.

Shaun12 said:
Just installed the jack plates that I got from 06mach1. Took a minute to figure out what I was doing, but once I found the right tool to pull those stupid push pins in it went well.
Is there a specific tool to use?

I have a set of trim and molding tools. One of the tools did the trick. I'm not totally mechanically inclined, even though I like to think I am. Once I was able to get the pins out, it went smoother.

F.D. Sako said:
While detailing the car, I noticed the paint was bubbling and the hood was rusting inside out. A little research revealed that it's a "common" problem with ford aluminum panels, which are getting contaminated with steel tools during stamping and manufacturing.

So guys, check out your hoods and other aluminum panels (if we have any) on the car - before your warranty runs out!
Mine started rusting right above the headlight, where the hood overlays the headlight (both over and under the hood).

Also just got a call from the body shop, asking me if the vinyl was a factory item, because their system wasn't showing factory vinyl, weird. If warranty work is approved, the guy said the whole hood has to be sanded and resprayed.

No rust but there are some bubbles... not a big fan of having the hood repainted unless they get worse but I only have till January on my warranty... Factory paint is crap. And as far as I have heard, repainting is even crappier. Damn VOC laws... if they end up having to buy a complete decal kit ask the body shop to give you what is left over!

Met a young man in my neighborhood who is a senior in High School and is the proud owner of a 2012 Boss. Also, passed my State Inspection!!! O/R X AED tune…

F.D. Sako said:

Im surprised this has happen to a 2013. on 2012 it is a known problem. they also rust on the roof line where the front windshield meet on the drivers side.
One would think that the molds only stamp aluminum hoods so how do they get contaminated with steel? As far as I know, mustang hoods only come in aluminum.
My buddy had his repainted and 1 year later the same problem again. And yes his hood was striped. Its funny how its the excat same spot on two different hoods / molds (12&13).

Tulsa, OK

steveespo said:
Removed tire inflator kit and passenger airbag.
Weight savings 11.8 lbs. Transformation has begun....................................
photo16_zps499b28b0.jpg
Steve

Surprised you still had the tire inflator in there

Started the install of by Blowfish brake cooling kit. all went well until I started to attach the bezel brackets to the fog light covers. Apparently I'm missing the screws that hold the bracket to the bezel. Damn it! Ill have to order them now..

Shaun12 said:
Started the install of by Blowfish brake cooling kit. all went well until I started to attach the bezel brackets to the fog light covers. Apparently I'm missing the screws that hold the bracket to the bezel. Damn it! Ill have to order them now..

quick run to home depot!

Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
10-20 Years
Texas

Bought Koni Yellows today…they are on sale through Maxim Motorsports for Labor Day. $625 + $57 shipping =$682

I think I got a good deal. I'll be testing them at Road Atlanta in October :)

TMO Supporting Vendors

Buy TMO Apparel

Buy TMO Apparel