The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

hydrogen fuel cell

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hi guys and ladies id like to know if anybody has had any experience with tis system before I order one for my car or if you have any input thankyou.
http://www.globalenergydevices.com/

As I work in refining, I can speak to this. First, I find their statements about faster burning hydrogen and octane boost contradictory. Higher octane gasoline actually burns slower and more evenly to reduce knock, which occurs when gasoline burns too fast. Also their discussion of engine efficiency is for thermal efficiency which is how much heat is turned into energy to turn the crank. It has nothing to do with how much fuel is burned. In addition, catalytic converters convert trace amounts of CO to CO2, trace amounts of NOx to N2 and O2, and trace amounts of unburnt hydrocarbons to H2O and CO2. There's no way they could convert 70% uncombusted gasoline!! Imagine the black smoke that would be billowing out of uncatted exhaust!

My advice is to stay away from this.

Not something I would use on the Boss... There are guys doing this with home made hydrogen generators, many are not very safe though... Since these units are from a real company I would hope they have thought out the safety and made appropriate design considerations. But that is not guaranteed, look at Samsung's track record with HF...nasty stuff...

If you are dead-set on playing I would check out some forums on the topic first, they will have more experience. But be careful about believing everything, not everyone knows what they are talking about, most are moon bats. I would at least use an older vehicle. I know when I was looking at this for my civic before I got fed up with the POS, there were some concerns that cars with a MAF would not appreciate the hydrogen. There is also a lot of debate as to whether the power needed to produce the hydrogen is offset enough by the hydrogen burning in the engine. My chemistry is rusty but it seems like that should be quantifiable if there were real engineers working on this. Now if you used a solar cell only, then it is free power. But I have never seen anyone mention that. Further proof that these are just tinkerers. At least last time I looked.

I toy'd with this idea building something like this a couple of years back. You can use pvc pipe and a handful of zinc washers and some rubber rings as insulators. Distilled and filtered water and bakingsoda. The problem is tuning your car to run on the hydrogen with out ruining it. Try it on a lawn tractor first, your gains will be very minimal because of the load put on the engine to generate the current to drive it. It you want to experiment, solder a wire on 2 razor blades, put a peice of tape around the dull end then around both. Mix some baking soda in some water and power it up with a power supply and see how much current your using to make it bubble. When bubbles put a lighter over it, it will pop as the hydro gas burns. Have fun!

TMO Supporting Vendors