The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

16 S550 PP1 Slow Drip Differential

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Exp. Type
W2W Racing
Exp. Level
Under 3 Years
Washington
Hey All,

I have a 16 GT PP1 and I noticed and slow drip on the differential. Not enough to be extremely worried, but want to take care of it.

I can't see exactly where the leak is since the whole diff is someone coated. Was wondering what the standard cause of a leak on these cases are? Is it the axle input seals? Or is the diff cover the usual culprit? Trying to avoid dropping the diff to reseal the diff cover, but maybe I should just do both the cover and the seals?

Exp. Type
W2W Racing
Exp. Level
Under 3 Years
Washington
Hey All,

I have a 16 GT PP1 and I noticed and slow drip on the differential. Not enough to be extremely worried, but want to take care of it.

I can't see exactly where the leak is since the whole diff is someone coated. Was wondering what the standard cause of a leak on these cases are? Is it the axle input seals? Or is the diff cover the usual culprit? Trying to avoid dropping the diff to reseal the diff cover, but maybe I should just do both the cover and the seals?
Also, the car has about 10hrs of track time and maybe 200 AX laps

Exp. Type
W2W Racing
Exp. Level
Under 3 Years
Washington
What's your thoughts on cleaning up the diff and then running it a bit and see if you can pin point the source of the leak?
Possible the diff is getting hot and the oil leak is from the vent?
How many miles are on the diff?
Where is the vent located? That could be the case if I over filled it too. I'll give it a good scrub and see if I can better trace it out

xr7

TMO Addict?
Exp. Type
Autocross
Exp. Level
10-20 Years
Minnesota
The breather should be located near the top on the rear cover, fill plug probably in the drivers side of the diff housing, 3/8" square hole plug. Lots of heat by the diff on the S550 chassis.

TMO Supporting Vendors