The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

1st and 3rd gear shifting issues

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Now that I have 5000+ miles and 8 track days on my Boss I'm starting to experience some shifting issues. On the track I sometimes had problems with a 5-3 or 4-3 downshift. But I'm also having occasional issues finding 1st on the street. I find I sometimes need to select 2nd and then up to first. Not always...maybe 20% of the time.

Shall I assume my MT82 is showing its true colors or is it just a shifter problem that will probably be fixed by the MGW shifter I'm planning to get?

I have had the 1st gear issue since I picked it up at the dealer. It has gotten better with time, or I just don't notice it anymore. It will either lock out, or it will feel like it went in then kick out a little bit and grind. Only issue I have had with the shifting, other than the side to side spring being too darn soft.

One thing I noticed, it does it a lot if you are not completely at a stop. Even just barely creeping and it will start acting up. So I just go to 2nd unless it is a stop sign, and slip it a little.

PeteInCT

#LS-378 - So many Porsche's, so little time....
Connecticut
Chuck - I'm going to guess it's a shifter issue, I had similar problems shifting into 1, 4 to 3, and especially 5 to 3 (into the Oak Tree at VIR ;-). I'm using the MGW shifter now with RedLine MTL in the tranny. She shifts like butter now with no blown shifts at my last track day this past Monday at LRP (first time at the track with that combo installed). Even if you did have a problem with the MT-82 specifically I'd suggest this mod. I'm going to be at VIR this coming Monday - I don't think you're scheduled for this event but if you are you're more than welcome to try my LS as shee how it shifts. It's light years past what it was when stock, regardless of the problems of getting it into gear at times.

-Pete

CaliMR said:
It will either lock out, or it will feel like it went in then kick out a little bit and grind.

EXACTLY what happens to me. I'm hearing rave reviews on the MGW shifter so we'll see how it goes.

PeteInCT said:
I'm going to be at VIR this coming Monday - I don't think you're scheduled for this event but if you are you're more than welcome to try my LS as shee how it shifts. -Pete

Pete, looks like the MGW is the way to go. As for VIR it must be nice to be able to do track events in the MIDDLE OF THE WEEK! Guess I'll need to wait until I retire next year to enjoy that luxury. Have a great time and be safe. If you see John Sullivan and/or Anita Sangi tell them I said hello. I ran with John at Summit Point a couple of weeks ago and he had his GT2 and came up on me so fast I did not notice him in the mirror until I held him up a couple of corners. He politely reminded me that passing is allowed anywhere in the instructor group with a signal...lol!

PeteInCT

#LS-378 - So many Porsche's, so little time....
Connecticut
Whrn i was there last year there was a guy in a GT2 set up like a Cup car. Not sure of hus nsme but i was told he was the head instructor. He wad pulling about 165 moh fown the back straight. Blisteringly fast car.

PeteInCT said:
Whrn i was there last year there was a guy in a GT2 set up like a Cup car. Not sure of hus nsme but i was told he was the head instructor. He wad pulling about 165 moh fown the back straight. Blisteringly fast car.
That was probably John Sullivan, PhD ("Doctor John"). He has several really neat cars including a very rare (and very fast) 968 Turbo.

TMO Supporting Vendors