The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

S197 2008 Mustang GT Build Thread Profile - S197 Mustangs

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JMACG

John MacGregor
Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
Under 3 Years
New Jersey
This is the Build Thread for 2008 Mustang GT (Rookie!). Reply below.

Hi all!
Good to be on the forum and looking forward to learning more.
I have been browsing endlessly on this forum ever since tracking the car to figure out a better braking solution.
a wealth of information here for sure and thank you.

TMSBOSS

Spending my pension on car parts and track fees.
Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
10-20 Years
Illinois
Welcome to the forum and the sport.

I assume you also upgraded the brake fluid along with your other mods. Are your front brakes ducted?

If you are just starting out, I would look at safety and drivers mods first. A good instructor will likely be your best investment in the beginning once the car is safe.

Have you looked at joining NASA or SCCA to get in their programs?

Bill Pemberton

0ld Ford Automotive Racing Terror
Exp. Type
Time Attack
Exp. Level
20+ Years
Blair, Nebraska
Welcome to TMO and bigger brakes, bigger rubber ( and rims ), etc. will go a long way and you already have a nice start in other areas. Feel free to ask on the site if your research leaves you with unanswered questions or if you aren't sure if you found an answer you are comfortable with. Heh, Winter is just around the corner so many on the site need something to do , and helping new " Rookies " ( as you call yourself ) gives us value in life, ha. You will find some folks on here are super knowledgeable and others have similar cars and can often let you know what did or didn't work for them. Are you in Northeastern NJ, as Lime Rock would be closer for you than NJMP - though neither would be a bad drive.

JMACG

John MacGregor
Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
Under 3 Years
New Jersey
Welcome to the forum and the sport.

I assume you also upgraded the brake fluid along with your other mods. Are your front brakes ducted?

If you are just starting out, I would look at safety and drivers mods first. A good instructor will likely be your best investment in the beginning once the car is safe.

Have you looked at joining NASA or SCCA to get in their programs?

Thank you for your response and also just to clarify - I was only on the Limerock AutoX course, so not the full circuit. I did the car control clinic with the SCDA and of course, will be with instructors each time out until I get the blessing to move forward.

I just did a full bleed of the system, but did not put in high performance brake fluid (which after reading these forums, I realized was my first mistake). Brakes are not ducted, which I have been looking into and figuring out a good system for street/track '08 S197.

I started looking at NASA and will look into SCCA.

Thank you!

JMACG

John MacGregor
Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
Under 3 Years
New Jersey
Welcome to TMO and bigger brakes, bigger rubber ( and rims ), etc. will go a long way and you already have a nice start in other areas. Feel free to ask on the site if your research leaves you with unanswered questions or if you aren't sure if you found an answer you are comfortable with. Heh, Winter is just around the corner so many on the site need something to do , and helping new " Rookies " ( as you call yourself ) gives us value in life, ha. You will find some folks on here are super knowledgeable and others have similar cars and can often let you know what did or didn't work for them. Are you in Northeastern NJ, as Lime Rock would be closer for you than NJMP - though neither would be a bad drive.

Thank you for your response Bill and nice to e-meet you. I already appreciate the wonderful resource this forum is and pretty much spent my entire day reading through it all, ha!

Yes, based in Essex county NJ, so have been to Lime Rock a bunch and have never been to NJMP, but have always wanted to go. I was also looking at Palmer Motorsports track which the SCDA program runs at as well.

I had a nice experience with SCDA, so wonder if it's a good way to get the feet wet. But, as you said...bigger brakes & bigger rubber is what I am eyeing. I am a sucker to the Ford Performance marketing and simplicity of fit...so was looking at this: https://performanceparts.ford.com/part/M-2300-S .... but need to save some $$ first.

thanks all!

ChrisM

Mostly harmless.
Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
3-5 Years
South Carolina
I ran Lime Rock a couple times. That course is no joke. I was lucky enough to do it in a simulator before trying it because going over that hill is disconcerting but being there while the leaves change was a wonderful experience.

Palmer is okay. There are no straights and zero run-off, which makes it a bit hole-puckering.

NJMP is always fun!

SCDA is a good group too. I did Palmer and Lime Rock with them and NJMP with NASA.

JMACG

John MacGregor
Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
Under 3 Years
New Jersey
I ran Lime Rock a couple times. That course is no joke. I was lucky enough to do it in a simulator before trying it because going over that hill is disconcerting but being there while the leaves change was a wonderful experience.

Palmer is okay. There are no straights and zero run-off, which makes it a bit hole-puckering.

NJMP is always fun!

SCDA is a good group too. I did Palmer and Lime Rock with them and NJMP with NASA.

Yea man, the downhill turn definitely tests your gall!
I am also close to NJMP and have always heard great things, so looking forward to checking that out through NASA.

JMACG

John MacGregor
Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
Under 3 Years
New Jersey
Hi all
I’d love to know what people think is the best brake upgrade that still fits the 18"x8.5 OEM Bullitt Wheels. I am looking at a StopTech 14” kit, but would love to know everyone’s thought. Is it necessary? Or are good rotors and pads enough for the 2 events I do a year?
Thank you!
John

Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
5-10 Years
Lenoir City TN
One of the more popular upgrades for the early S197 cars was to swap over to the OEM 14" 4 piston Brembo set up that was standard on the Boss 302 and an option on the 2011 -2014 cars. The only problem is it will not fit the 2008 Bullitt wheels without a small spacer due to the spoke profile. A friend did the upgrade on his 2008 Bullitt and he needs to run something like a 1/4" spacer to clear the back of the spokes. He tracks the car and said the Brembo's were a big improvement over stock. My 2011 was a Brembo optioned car from the factory so I have no first hand experience moving from stock to Brembo's.

Exp. Type
Autocross
Exp. Level
20+ Years
Olsburg, KS
I can confirm the car EF1 is talking about uses 1/4" spacers. I did an upgrade to using '11-'14 base GT brakes. It uses a different bracket and rotor, but is otherwise the same setup (pads and calipers are the same). It increases the rotor diameter from 12.6" to 13.2". I also added cooling ducts. It's for sure the cheapest upgrade, but there are obviously better braking systems out there. I'm not sure if there's a better system that will let you use the stock Bullitt rims without modification, though.

JMACG

John MacGregor
Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
Under 3 Years
New Jersey
One of the more popular upgrades for the early S197 cars was to swap over to the OEM 14" 4 piston Brembo set up that was standard on the Boss 302 and an option on the 2011 -2014 cars. The only problem is it will not fit the 2008 Bullitt wheels without a small spacer due to the spoke profile. A friend did the upgrade on his 2008 Bullitt and he needs to run something like a 1/4" spacer to clear the back of the spokes. He tracks the car and said the Brembo's were a big improvement over stock. My 2011 was a Brembo optioned car from the factory so I have no first hand experience moving from stock to Brembo's.
Thank you!
I have the 20mm OP spacers, so think I may be able to swing it. Appreciate the feedback.

TMO Supporting Vendors

Buy TMO Apparel

Buy TMO Apparel