The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

S197 2009 4.0 Warpony Build Thread Profile - S197 Mustangs

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Apex Wheels

Race Proven, Street Approved
Supporting Vendor
Exp. Type
Time Attack
Exp. Level
5-10 Years
Bay Area, CA
Welcome to TMO and nice build so far!

Couple suggestions, if you really are planning on moving to something like a Boss 302 (or even 2011+ GT), I would advise not spending money on a procharger or even the control arms, unless the bushings are damaged. The gears will be a nice kick in the pants though, if you're itching to change something.

Perosnally, I would look into getting some wider wheels and tires (ahem) as that will provide the biggest performance increase on track, and something you can transfer over to your new car as well. Brakes (fluid at least) would be another good idea to upgrade.

- Cory

Welcome to TMO and nice build so far!

Couple suggestions, if you really are planning on moving to something like a Boss 302 (or even 2011+ GT), I would advise not spending money on a procharger or even the control arms, unless the bushings are damaged. The gears will be a nice kick in the pants though, if you're itching to change something.

Perosnally, I would look into getting some wider wheels and tires (ahem) as that will provide the biggest performance increase on track, and something you can transfer over to your new car as well. Brakes (fluid at least) would be another good idea to upgrade.

- Cory
Thank you I will definitely do that and start with the wider wheels and tires for sure. I just have to research what people would recommend for wheel width and tires.

Apex Wheels

Race Proven, Street Approved
Supporting Vendor
Exp. Type
Time Attack
Exp. Level
5-10 Years
Bay Area, CA
Thank you I will definitely do that and start with the wider wheels and tires for sure. I just have to research what people would recommend for wheel width and tires.
Here for your viewing pleasure: https://www.apexraceparts.com/blog/18-vs-19-wheels-which-is-right-for-you/

https://support.apexraceparts.com/h...5526493-S197-Mustang-Wheel-Tire-Fitment-Guide

One other thing to point out, going to a shorter tire for track use can act the same as putting in shorter gears to an extent. It'd be the most cost effective way to get a little more zip out of the car on track, but then still retaining nice street cruising manners. I do this in my personal 2011 GT with 3.31 gears. Using a 295/30 or 315/30-18 tire on track works great for acceleration, then when I put my street tires back on it's a good cruiser too. It's definitely not as much effect as 3.31 to 3.73, but something is better than nothing :)

Bill Pemberton

0ld Ford Automotive Racing Terror
Exp. Type
Time Attack
Exp. Level
20+ Years
Blair, Nebraska
Welcome and glad you are out having fun with your V6. There are quite a few folks on TMO running V6s and Ecoboosts and many of us tracked machines with less power than we have now , and it was a great learning experience. Less power really exaggerates the need to learn to race with momentum, because it carries over when you have more power and you usually end up quite quick. This is primarily, imho, because all cars are momentum vehicles, but when you start with a fairly powerful car it means many drivers use the torque/hp for a more point and squirt style of driving. That is a little habit one has to unlearn and it is one you likely will not encounter if you work hard to focus on keeping your Warpony galloping. Cory at Apex is correct on the use of slightly shorter ratio tires and I would echo the folks who suggested you go with 18x11s --- get all the rubber on the ground as you can. We all look forward to hearing your track experiences , and you can always just in here asking for help or advice ---- TMO members are very interested in helping others with our mutual track disease!

TMO Supporting Vendors