The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

2012 Boss needs new cats

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

I have a 12 Boss that has a plugged cat according to the dealership. Looking for suggestions on replacements.
Drive train is all stock except I added the track key.
Car is street driven only.
OEM is $1200 installed.
I'm assuming there are aftermarket cats that are equal or better in quality, fit, and performance.

Thanks,
Dave

Bill Pemberton

0ld Ford Automotive Racing Terror
Exp. Type
Time Attack
Exp. Level
20+ Years
Blair, Nebraska
I would just replace with a set of high flow cats as the issue will be easily solved. Keep in mind most Auctions require a Dealer to divulge if a car has had cats removed. This will affect your resale since Dealers have the question listed on their purchase forms and they will deduct a princely sum if replacement is needed. This is partly due to the cost of the cats, but also because so many exhaust systems are modified that getting it back into compliance is even more costly. Just a word of caution because this is common even in States that do not require emissions testing.

PS - Google high flow cats and you will be shocked at the number available. Don't get the dirt cheap ones , but you will find plenty of choices. Check ones at American Muscle , CJ Pony Parts, etc. as you should be able to get a decent set for 200-500. The cheap ones are that for a reason and the OEM ones are just off scale price wise. Good luck.

Last edited:
Exp. Type
Autocross
Exp. Level
Under 3 Years
Southern Illinois
I would just replace with a set of high flow cats as the issue will be easily solved. Keep in mind most Auctions require a Dealer to divulge if a car has had cats removed. This will affect your resale since Dealers have the question listed on their purchase forms and they will deduct a princely sum if replacement is needed. This is partly due to the cost of the cats, but also because so many exhaust systems are modified that getting it back into compliance is even more costly. Just a word of caution because this is common even in States that do not require emissions testing.

PS - Google high flow cats and you will be shocked at the number available. Don't get the dirt cheap ones , but you will find plenty of choices. Check ones at American Muscle , CJ Pony Parts, etc. as you should be able to get a decent set for 200-500. The cheap ones are that for a reason and the OEM ones are just off scale price wise. Good luck.
Luckily the previous owner of my car gave me the full stock exhaust from manifolds , cats, and brand new gt mufflers that were maybe 6 months old.

TMO Supporting Vendors

Latest posts

Buy TMO Apparel

Buy TMO Apparel