The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

2013 Boss 302 Cobra Jet install

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

I had my Cobra Jet package installed by Mike and Ryne at Cunningham Motorsports.

I am 100% satisfied with the results

Here is a mod list on the car

New parts installed
Ford Racing Cobra Jet cams M-6550-M50BEXH and M-6550-M50BINT
Ford Racing Cobra Jet Manifold M-9424-M50CJ
Ford Racing Cobra Jet Throttle body M-9926-CJ65 (dual blade)
Ford Racing Cobra Jet CAI M-9603-M50CJ

Exhaust was already on the car before baseline
Bassani Xhaust long tube headers
Bassani Xhaust X Pipe with test pipe adaptors
Bassani Xhaust race catback

Ryne is an amazing tuner and he has the car running like a dream.

The baseline was 434RWHP and 354RWTQ on a Mustang Dyno The headers and full exhaust were installed before we got a baseline with out.

With the Cams, Manifold, Intake and TB the care made 473RWHP and 369RWTQ.

the car pulls very hard and sounds amazing. I was smiling ear to ear on my way home.

If you are looking to stay all motor I would highly suggest these mods.

Stay tuned for a full write up on www.stangtv.com for dyno videos and install tech.

20140702_195014_zps1lhy1ljt.jpg
20140702_194906_zpscqebjgh8.jpg
20140702_194625_zps5ghgvwn4.jpg
20140702_205521_zpsfzjchrzv.jpg

I was working directly with the Dave Born Cobra Jet engineer at Ford Racing and he said the mono blade was more for boosted applications.

For my setup he recommended the dual blade.

I took his word for it being that he designed the Cobra Jet Twin Turbo engine.

13Boss0166 said:
I was working directly with the Dave Born Cobra Jet engineer at Ford Racing and he said the mono blade was more for boosted applications.

For my setup he recommended the dual blade.

I took his word for it being that he designed the Cobra Jet Twin Turbo engine.
Wow those numbers are impressive! You're working with the right guy. ;) I believe the dual blade should have better drivability around town. Do you have to pull the heads to install the cams?

NFSBOSS said:
Wow those numbers are impressive! You're working with the right guy. ;) I believe the dual blade should have better drivability around town. Do you have to pull the heads to install the cams?

The heads did not need to be pulled to get the cams in.

And yeah Dave was very helpful with this build.

I put this same post up on S197 Forums and everyone is saying that the mono blade is better.

It cracks me up because they think they know more than the guy that developed the Cobra Jet engine for Ford lol.

13Boss0166 said:
The heads did not need to be pulled to get the cams in.

And yeah Dave was very helpful with this build.

I put this same post up on S197 Forums and everyone is saying that the mono blade is better.

It cracks me up because they think they know more than the guy that developed the Cobra Jet engine for Ford lol.
I think that's the consensus with the tuners and I believe Shaun at AED also prefers the monoblade. Maybe the monoblade makes more peak power but like you Dave has been telling me the dual blade is the way to go on our cars. Regardless those are impressive numbers which puts the crank output at well over 500 HP.

BTW how did you get the stock shock tower brace to fit over the CJ intake?

NFSBOSS said:
I think that's the consensus with the tuners and I believe Shaun at AED also prefers the monoblade. Maybe the monoblade makes more peak power but like you Dave has been telling me the dual blade is the way to go on our cars. Regardless those are impressive numbers which puts the crank output at well over 500 HP.

BTW how did you get the stock shock tower brace to fit over the CJ intake?

I was wondering the same damn thing.

It fit with no spacers and no motor mount mods.

Awesome work!

1) what is your redline?
2) how does the power delivery feel? Stock like? Linear, spiky or
3) how much did everything cost including tuning costs?
4) will this be covered under Ford Racing warranty?

13Boss#3328 said:
Awesome work!

1) what is your redline?
2) how does the power delivery feel? Stock like? Linear, spiky or
3) how much did everything cost including tuning costs?
4) will this be covered under Ford Racing warranty?
My red line is set to 7900

The power does not spike it is linear and pulls hard throughout the powerband.

This was all done for an install article that I have been working with Ford Racing on.

To be honest I'm not to sure about the warranty. Being that it is all FRPP I would imagine it would be covered.

Mustang_Mechanic said:
Very impressive. I noticed you still have vct solenoids. Did you consider a vct delete while you were in there?

I'm not sure what the advantages of the VCT delete is. Can you give me some information on it please?

I'm sure the FRPP parts you installed are covered under warranty. The rest of the motor...not so much. Great parts selection BTW. I think you have a really solid package there for HP and reliability.

Mustang_Mechanic

Ford Master Technician
The primary benefit to deleting the VCT is to set mechanical timing to a specific spot for max hp gain in the range you are looking for. The VCT will move from 1 position to another position, but the ideal timing for certain modifications might be between those set points. Putting an adjustable cam gear in would allow you to adjust timing to the perfect spot (found during tuning) and set it there. Hope that makes sense

TMO Supporting Vendors

Buy TMO Apparel

Buy TMO Apparel