The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

2014 Z28 vs Boss LS

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pufferfish said:
you will probably never get the chance to see one on track. sounds like they are going to be super-limited quantity, so they will likely end up in collections. for that reason, will ford bother with a response or plug away at continuing to make the best production car for the money? from my list above, it really wouldn't take a whole lot of extra msrp cash to come up with it. rumor mill is already placing the XS engine in the new gt350, so the list is half way there. I just hope ford can at least produce quantities to prevent them from falling into the z28's hermetically sealed class.
If the GT350 is still going to carry the Shelby moniker I bet there will be thousands upon thousands of them.

Chevy claiming victory over the Boss with this Z28 is like Ford comparing a Boss to a base Camaro V6... Chevy has zero respect in my book for being unreasonable to the point where I question their critical reasoning skills.

The biggest thing that drives me nuts in car comparisons (in general) is tires not being equal. Comparison testing without the same tires is just plain dishonest. Like when C&D compared the BRZ with cheapo all-seasons to some other car with summer tires and complained about the rear losing traction more than the other car... um, DUH?

Like others have said, the 1LE is more fitting as a natural competitor. Add some Recaros and maybe an oil cooler and call that the Z28. Then Chevy would maybe make some money. If that is what they are into.

WinterSucks said:
Chevy claiming victory over the Boss with this Z28 is like Ford comparing a Boss to a base Camaro V6... Chevy has zero respect in my book for being unreasonable to the point where I question their critical reasoning skills.

The biggest thing that drives me nuts in car comparisons (in general) is tires not being equal. Comparison testing without the same tires is just plain dishonest. Like when C&D compared the BRZ with cheapo all-seasons to some other car with summer tires and complained about the rear losing traction more than the other car... um, DUH?

Like others have said, the 1LE is more fitting as a natural competitor. Add some Recaros and maybe an oil cooler and call that the Z28. Then Chevy would maybe make some money. If that is what they are into.

Very good point

I guess turnabout is fair play is what I'm thinking here. When the Boss was released, everyone pointed to the Camaro SS as being the lame competitor, but Ford owners comparing a Camaro SS to a Boss is no different than Chevy owners comparing a Z/28 to a Boss. It is what it is - the Z/28 kicks the Bosses azz on a road course.

People complaining that comparing the 7.0 to the 5.0 is unfair, or complaining that it has "only" 500 HP are missing the point. The 7.0 is actually lighter than the 5.0, and it has dry sump oiling. It is at least as durable as the Roadrunner 5.0 also. It is a great engine, which is why GM rescued it from oblivion to put into the Z/28.

Finally, yes, a lot of Z/28s will see nothing more than the inside of garage walls, but the same can be said about the vast majority of Laguna Secas. There will be plenty of Z/28s hitting tracks, even at $60K+. BTW, the number of Z/28's will not be artificially limited by GM - they will build as many as they can sell. If it is carried over into 2015, I predict there will ultimately be at least twice as many Z/28s built as Laguna Secas.

The real competitor to the Z/28 at this point is the 2014 Z51 Corvette.

coboss said:
I guess turnabout is fair play is what I'm thinking here. When the Boss was released, everyone pointed to the Camaro SS as being the lame competitor, but Ford owners comparing a Camaro SS to a Boss is no different than Chevy owners comparing a Z/28 to a Boss. It is what it is - the Z/28 kicks the Bosses azz on a road course.

People complaining that comparing the 7.0 to the 5.0 is unfair, or complaining that it has "only" 500 HP are missing the point. The 7.0 is actually lighter than the 5.0, and it has dry sump oiling. It is at least as durable as the Roadrunner 5.0 also. It is a great engine, which is why GM rescued it from oblivion to put into the Z/28.

Finally, yes, a lot of Z/28s will see nothing more than the inside of garage walls, but the same can be said about the vast majority of Laguna Secas. There will be plenty of Z/28s hitting tracks, even at $60K+. BTW, the number of Z/28's will not be artificially limited by GM - they will build as many as they can sell. If it is carried over into 2015, I predict there will ultimately be at least twice as many Z/28s built as Laguna Secas.

The real competitor to the Z/28 at this point is the 2014 Z51 Corvette.

This is all true, except that the Z/28 is competition for the Z51, I think the Z51 would be better all around.

Brandon302 said:
This is all true, except that the Z/28 is competition for the Z51, I think the Z51 would be better all around.

I'm not so sure. The Camaro has more horsepower and the ceramic brakes. A Z51 might beat it for one lap on some tracks, but the Z/28 just might be a better all around track car.

If the Z/28 does beat the Z51, you won't hear about it from GM. It will be interesting to see if the Car and Driver Lightning Lap thing has both cars.

BTW, it is reported that there is a one year wait for a Z51 Corvette now.

coboss said:

I still see it differently, but yes, it is for sure faster than a street legal stock Boss. BUT the Boss and it's engine are still based off the original. The Z28 is like a million dollar man makeover by comparison! Ford set their sights higher and moved on to compete with the M3 and make the Mustang a global car for a reasonable amount of money. Chevy is putting the Z28 in a price range where a used Godzilla and a few other very fast will turn it into a snack.

Am I the only one that compares cars based on price point? The z28 is NOT a competitor with the Boss. You wanna nut hug on a z28 compare it with a GTR cause that's what it's gonna cost. I'm sure if I put $35 grand into my car it'll cut a nice lap time too.

coboss said:
I'm not so sure. The Camaro has more horsepower and the ceramic brakes. A Z51 might beat it for one lap on some tracks, but the Z/28 just might be a better all around track car.

If the Z/28 does beat the Z51, you won't hear about it from GM. It will be interesting to see if the Car and Driver Lightning Lap thing has both cars.

BTW, it is reported that there is a one year wait for a Z51 Corvette now.
I don't think the Z/28 has enough more HP to make up for the 400lbs it has on the Stingray. I could see it being able to pass the new Vette but not lap it.

I found these photos today. I got a good laugh out of the first one. Hmmm a Nurburgring track map, I wonder where that idea came from. ;) And I'm sure the Camaro has a rich racing history there too. ::) It looks pretty good on the track though.

2014-chevrolet-camaro-z-28_100443177_l.jpg
2014-chevrolet-camaro-z-28_100443179_l.jpg

I don't know why people who modify their cars get upset when a new car comes out that beats the stock iteration of our cars. To me it is not what it comes with out of the factory . . . it is what i do to the car that makes the difference. I prefer to think of it as a dollar per dollar comparison. That Z28 cost x amount of dollars, My question is can i get similar performance out of my car for less money and the answer is yes. The biggest advantage the Camaros have is they went to big rubber, So what, I can do the same thing and get similar times if not better. I would be more than willing to play follow the leader at Willow with a z/28 Zl/1 or 1LE and I think they might find that they are the ones that have a tiger by the tail. BTW Track day is November 19, 2013 at Big Willow in case there are any camaro afficianados on this forum. If i were to build a track car today i would buy a BRZ, cortex it, rubberize it and turbocharge it and for half the price of a Z/28 I would have a pocket rocket that would give any car all it could handle at the track. I prefer a good basic balanced set-up from the factory for low $$. Then I will decide what the car needs. Otherwise where is the fun or sense of accomplishment?

I would never buy the Z28 or any of the new Camaro's. My head hits the headliner, my neck hurts from tilting my head. Plus a helmet would be out of the question. Plus my preference has always been Ford. Just like a sports team I'll never change and I'll stay true to my team. :p

Chris

Barbaro said:
If i were to build a track car today i would buy a BRZ, cortex it, rubberize it and turbocharge it and for half the price of a Z/28 I would have a pocket rocket that would give any car all it could handle at the track. I prefer a good basic balanced set-up from the factory for low $$. Then I will decide what the car needs. Otherwise where is the fun or sense of accomplishment?

The STI version should be out at some point, I am sure that will be a hoot. I had the chance to ride in the Scion version, and it felt pretty good. The back seat looks like a joke, though. I think it is only there to make the insurance lower :)

In germany it would be a gaffe to put a "Nürburgring"-sticker including the lettering "Nürburgring" on your car.
Every racing fan identifies the Nürburgring by the track map only :)

NFSBOSS said:
I found these photos today. I got a good laugh out of the first one. Hmmm a Nurburgring track map, I wonder where that idea came from. ;) And I'm sure the Camaro has a rich racing history there too. ::) It looks pretty good on the track though.

2014-chevrolet-camaro-z-28_100443177_l.jpg

I'm sorry but the camaro back end scream's Kyle's cousin from South Park lol.

kyles-cousin-kyle.jpg

Still think the Boss is much more of a looker. The Z28 looks ugly. From the back, all I see is a fat lady with huge hips. Reminds me of a "People of Walmart" photo.O4GnQCfbZ-_9GLyZYOxQO2f8Ivq-pLEDLpKTTOi2D5UpwIpI0A.jpg But more honestly the Boss is still sweeter looking. Wonder if Chevy put a useful Launch Control in the Camaro. I bet regular GT's will still beat the Z28's at the local 1/4 track all day long. 99% of the Camaro's I see show up at the straight track can't launch to save their lives. It's a whole lot of tire spin and 14's and 13's. Search their forums for launch control and you'll see that NO ONE uses or recommends using it as the tires just spin away at the starting line, totally useless. Plus a majority of the public will most likely go to a straight track because it's a whole bunch cheaper. I can't wait for the Z28's to show up on a Mustang vs Camaro weekend this upcoming spring. I want to see them try. Same goes for the Corvette's the average driver can't take off from a line without just smoking some rubber. Trust me it feels sweet driving my son's 2000 GT with 315's on the back and just dropping the clutch and flooring it with a good hook up and leaving a vette light to light. They panic and it's too hard to baby all that power in a lightweight car. Ok, enough ranting again about the Ugly Z28 again.

LOL wow there is a lot of polarized hate going on here.
A good car is a good car is a good car.

The weight loss program for that car, coupled with dry sump oiling, Ti internals, carbon brakes, magnetic dampers etc etc etc make that thing really special.
It's really purpose built and focused for excelling at 1 thing only. I'm excited to see this car come, and is more driver focused than most.
Notice that all high end sports cars from the European camp are all DCT these days, but this is still a true manual.

Yes, they've massaged and worked with a pig of a platform (heavy). But it's been proven that they can make it work (1LE, ZL1). This amps it up exponentially.
This car is actually a few steps closer to "a race car for the streets" than our Bosses are. Plain and simple.

The thing was tuned at Multimatic, and the fact that it rocks 305 section front tires and can still turn in suggests work done on the front end to deal with scrub, ackerman (perhaps, or at least one can hope). It's a proper car. I'm with NFSBoss :)

I am sure the Z28 is a real beast!
And technically it's way more refined than the Boss! (But it's four years newer! and will be more expensive!)
They have had a hard time fighting the weight but they did a fantastic time on the "Ring" with it!
I liked the front and rear of the 2013 better though...this facelift looks a bit "Chinese" Lol.

I am so excited to see what the next Mustang will bring! GT350...that is.
Weight will be a great advantage of the next platform I understand.
I am sure Dearborn knew what was coming from GM and has prepared some medicine for it :)

I love this muscle car war!
The new era of it already lasted longer than the one from the 60's and is even more exciting :)
So many incredible cars with so much performance!!!

Jonstang75 said:
I just watched a video on youtube posted by Chevy showing them testing a 2014 Z28 against a 2012 Laguna Seca Boss 302. On their proving grounds it was over 4 seconds a lap faster. The Chevy engineer said his one goal was to beat the shiznit out of anything Ford can put on the street. That thing has a 305 front tire on it. Hopefully Ford will respond with something. I know that Z28 will cost more than 80 grand and if I put 30 grand in upgrades to my car...bye bye Z28.

There is no question that Chevrolet has built one heck of a Pony car in the new 2014 Z28 but for them to provide a video comparing their new 2014 Z28 that comes with a 427 cubic engine, upgraded rubber/wheel size, dry-sump oil system and other racing goodies compared to a 2012 302 Laguna Seca model with a much smaller engine and rubber/wheels just shows how desperate Chevrolet and GM is to beat Ford in the Pony car market.

Back in the sixties I remember when the '67 Camaro Z28 came out just after the New Year in 1967 and it was very hard to recognize one of these special cars due to no external identification other than their wide racing stripes and obviously they were very fast right out of the box.

The 602 Z28's that were built in 1967 were developed for one reason and one reason only and that was to be a contender for the SCCA Trans AM racing series. Of course in 1969 Ford built their own SCCA Trans AM contender as in the 1969 Boss 302 and won the SCCA Trans Am series the following year with Parnelli Jones at the wheel of a 1970 Boss 302.

I certainly look forward to seeing one of these new 2014 Camaro Z28's and suggest that they will be a very fast and well balanced car.

Having said that it is hard for me to comprehend how Chevrolet can post and gloat about a video comparing their new 2014 Z28 model which boasts an engine that has an additional 125 cubic inches, costs tens of thousand dollars more than a 2012 Boss 302 LS model that was built 2 years earlier.

One of the biggest differences I find between Ford and GM when it comes to their corporate philosophy is that Ford tries very hard to maintain their heritage and roots as in what did they did in order to build the 2 year limited edition 2012 and 2013 Boss 302 cars.

If GM had built a new generation 2014 Z28 with a 302 cubic inch engine as they did back in 1967 thru 1969 I would have much more respect for the new Z28 and for GM but they did not.

Their answer to one up one on Ford was to stuff a 427 cubic inch engine in their Pony car along with numerous racing goodies and will come with an extremely high MSRP and then claim victory over Ford's small block 302.

You gotta love this comparison by GM!

8)

TMO Supporting Vendors

Buy TMO Apparel

Buy TMO Apparel