The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

S550 2017 Grabber Blue Mustang GT Build Thread Profile - S550 Mustangs

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JDee

Ancient Racer
Exp. Type
W2W Racing
Exp. Level
20+ Years
5 miles from Mosport
Did you manage to beat any Vredestein lap times ? I was very impressed by your review of the Vredestein tires and they are reasonably cheaper than AR-1's. Otherwise if they last as much as you describe which I to be fair highly doubt they will be amazing value for the money.
Nope. The Vreds are the fastest tire I have run, they are a treaded 200 TW tire and wear like iron. Just impossible to get these days. Faster than the AR-1 by a full second on a 1.33 second lap at Mosport. And on top of that they work in the rain. I have a brand new set of six Vreds that are sealed up and stored away for when the AR-1s are finished. Hoarding the good stuff. LOL!

Exp. Type
Time Attack
Exp. Level
Under 3 Years
Bulgaria
A day in the Shop - 05.09.2022

So with Autumn part of the season fast approaching I went to the shop to fit my racing break pads again. When I removed them after Serres we noticed that the bolts that hold the pads were moving in the seats:

IMG_0227 (1).jpeg

So I ordered this Raybestos replacements for 12$ from RockAuto Part number (H18225A):

IMG_0364.jpeg

And fitted them with the Gloc Brake pads.

We also noticed that the Ohlins have a lot of oil on them:

IMG_0449.jpeg

And that the left side of the car is very hot. I noticed that my radiator ventilator is blowing very hot air so I guess this is the reason why my Engine temps are going up.
Ether way we fitted all of that as I have a Time attack event coming up.

Dracon Speed Cup Round 3 - 10.09.2022

Since the Ford Fest on Dracon is fast approaching (25.09.2022) I needed a track time on Dracon as I didn't drove the track since last year's Ford Fest (1:10.317) and I didn't test the new tires and suspension. In September all free dates for driving were booked so I instead decided to join the Dracon Speed Cup Time Attack event. The classes are based on Engine size and mods so my TW100 tires put me in a class dominated by BMW M4's and M2's all with a lot of mods (the fastest one is doing 100-200 km/h in 5.9 sec) and on the same tires as me very close in sizes as my 305's. With that in mind I knowed that I will be outgunned but I still decided that I need the test. The Dracon Speed Cup is a big event organised by the track itself and a lot of people go to it in fact there were 82 cars total that day on track making it the biggest track day I ever attended and drove.

First session it took a lot of waiting in the paddock are where I was stationary with started engine for like 10 minutes and my CHT temps were up to 104C (219 degrees) before I even get to the track. Once we get to the track the session was stopped after just 1 lap as the other car different than BMW an Audi S3 blow it's 1.8T engine on the start/finish straight my first lap was 1:08.735 and we all went back to paddock to wait for the track to get clean. Once the car was removed from the track we run again and my next lap straight out of the pits was a blistering 1:07.938 And the car was showing like 110C(230F) CHT. So I did another fast lap but was slower and got back to the pits. The M4 BMW did a 1:04.791 the second M4 did 1:05.353 and the M2 did 1:05.777 so I was 4th in class but obviously outgunned by the Turbo power of the BMW's.

The Second session for the day was at the afternoon and the air temp was up to 30C(86F) so was really hot so hot that in my fastest lap (1:08.05) I saw a predictable 1:07.69 before the final turn but my R10 front brake pads were so overheated that I couldn't brake for it and lost 0.5 seconds in this corner alone. This is the first time I see my brakes overheat so much but it's something I noticed in Serres as well that the R10's are just not enough brake pad for the grip levels of the Nankang AR-1's. I'm guessing new brake pads need to be ordered I plan to pair them with a set of 2 piece rotors which hopefully will help with the heat management. After that session I decided I can't improve more and that there is no worth in waiting another 2 hours for my session to come so I packed and went to see a friend with an amazing Roush charged 700 hp Mach 1 manual with 052 serial number what a lovely car. He was so generous that he gift me a Ford Performance Oil Filter this thing is huge.

However in the Dracon Cup my time was good enough for 13th Fastest out of 82 cars and 4th fastest in my class:

IMG_0524.jpeg

And most importantly a new PB's for me and the Car. So I'm faster even from the pro driver lap of 1:08.020. And the car is very consistent 1:08 car now as I didn't have a lap slower than 1:08.IMG_0523.jpeg

The video showed that I made a lot of mistakes in that lap:

However I'm super happy with how the build is progressing and times that it's showing on both tracks.
Overall the car is easier to drive and much more predictable. And can sustain a lot more cornering G in fact I'm not sure if the G-Forces on my timing device are correct as it showed a 1.40G of cornering loads. That is a lot more than that car ever did.
Next is to see if the brake pads could handle another day of abuse on 25.09.2022 at the Ford Fest and hopefully mange to win it overall again 2 years in a roll.

Lots of plans for winter to address the engine cooling problems of the car as well as to improve the brakes. And hopefully after that to finally mod the motor as it's still very stock.

Last edited:
Exp. Type
Time Attack
Exp. Level
Under 3 Years
Bulgaria
Ford Fest 2022 - 25.09.2022

I have been waiting for this day the whole season. As you probably know winning the Ford Fest 2021 overall with 1:10.317 was something I was wanting for since I bought the car. So as you can imagine I was super eager to get back to that event and defend my first place from last season. I only manage to get 10 or so laps on Dracon so far in 2022 and I was hoping to improve my times on the Ford Fest 2022.

The weather forecast was amazing with a max of 71F. I was hoping that this temps will be good enough for my timing issues to not be a problem and hopefully for the brakes to not overheat. As usual I traveled to the track with my friend with the Focus RS against an amazing Sunrise and was super lucky to get to the track in time for my lucky number 088 to be put on the car. So I was very positive for a lovely day ahead. Also this time for first time there was time attack for Mustangs only with Over/Under 5.0 and Supercharger classes. Not that it mattered but my Over 5.0 class had 6 Mustangs in it so the wildest field since American Muscle Fest 2022. One friend was with his 2017 FBO 5.0 GT for his first time on track with my old 275/35/19 TW240 Zestino's (the ones I won the fest last year).

With that in mind I was ready for my first session the weather was amazing 60F. I went out first lap 1:08.8 compared to last year this lap could be enough for my goal however my goal for the day was to get down to 1:06 and the weather sure was amazing the second lap was way better but just before the last corner my brake pedal got hard and I manage to make the turn but this cost me like 0.31 seconds according to Racebox for a best lap of 1:07.566. Since my brake pads (Gloc R10) ware obviously overheated I decided to not drive more in the day so I can take the car home safe (which I did).

My FBO Friend did a very impressive 1:12.3 which for a first time out in a Mustang on that track is amazing. And the Focus RS did a new PB at 1:09.280 for 2nd place overall. Since I was not driving for the rest of the day (very frustrating) I give my Racebox to my 5.0 FBO friend for the second session. He manage to improve his time by almost 2 whole seconds down to 1:10.680 which placed him 2nd in the Mustang Class in his first time on Dracon. Amazing result. What was even more amazing was that he had almost 10km more top speed on the straight then me even though he exited 10 km bellow me on the straight. This is a huge difference between the cars. I know that FBO cars are a lot more hp than stock Gen 2 but to see the difference on the speeds and lap times surely make a person wonder.

My Friend with the Focus RS managed to improve his time in the next session as well down to 1:08.997 and to keep his 2nd place overall. I on the other hand manage to win the event second time in a row.

IMG_0848.jpeg

And the General Standings

IMG_0847.jpeg

And the mandatory video:

What is next:

Obviously I'm looking for recommendations on Brake Pads/Disks from guys that have driven on Nankang AR-1's At the moment my feeling is to try step up to R12 and see how that goes probably with 2 Piece Slotted Baer disks. But if someone have better recommendations to stop the massive 305/30 AR-1's I'm all ears.

Last edited:
Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
3-5 Years
Raleigh, NC
Ford Fest 2022 - 25.09.2022

I have been waiting for this day the whole season. As you probably know winning the Ford Fest 2021 overall with 1:10.317 was something I was wanting for since I bought the car. So as you can imagine I was super eager to get back to that event and defend my first place from last season. I only manage to get 10 or so laps on Dracon so far in 2022 and I was hoping to improve my times on the Ford Fest 2022. The weather forecast was amazing with a max of 71F. I was hoping that this temps will be good enough for my timing issues to not be a problem and hopefully for the brakes to not overheat. As usual I traveled to the track with my friend with the Focus RS against an amazing Sunrise and was super lucky to get to the track in time for my lucky number 088 to be put on the car. So I was very positive for a lovely day ahead. Also this time for first time there was time attack for Mustangs only with Over/Under 5.0 and Supercharger classes. Not that it mattered but my Over 5.0 class had 6 Mustangs in it so the wildest field since American Muscle Fest 2022. One friend was with his 2017 FBO 5.0 GT for his first time on track with my old 275/35/19 TW240 Zestino's (the ones I won the fest last year). With that in mind I was ready for my first session the weather was amazing 60F. I went out first lap 1:08.8 compared to last year this lap could be enough for my goal however my goal for the day was to get down to 1:06 and the weather sure was amazing the second lap was way better but just before the last corner my brake pedal got hard and I manage to make the turn but this cost me like 0.31 seconds according to Racebox for a best lap of 1:07.566. Since my brake pads (Gloc R10) ware obviously overheated I decided to not drive more in the day so I can take the car home safe (which I did). My FBO Friend did a very impressive 1:12.3 which for a first time out in a Mustang on that track is amazing. And the Focus RS did a new PB at 1:09.280 for 2nd place overall. Since I was not driving for the rest of the day (very frustrating) I give my Racebox to my 5.0 FBO friend for the second session. He manage to improve his time by almost 2 whole seconds down to 1:10.680 which placed him 2nd in the Mustang Class in his first time on Dracon. Amazing result. What was even more amazing was that he had almost 10km more top speed on the straight then me even though he exited 10 km bellow me on the straight. This is a huge difference between the cars. I know that FBO cars are a lot more hp than stock Gen 2 but to see the difference on the speeds and lap times surely make a person wonder. My Friend with the Focus RS managed to improve his time in the next session as well down to 1:08.997 and to keep his 2nd place overall. I on the other hand manage to win the event second time in a row.

View attachment 79649

And the General Standings

View attachment 79650

And the mandatory video:

What is next:

Obviously I'm looking for recommendations on Brake Pads/Disks from guys that have driven on Nankang AR-1's At the moment my feeling is to try step up to R12 and see how that goes probably with 2 Piece Slotted Baer disks. But if someone have better recommendations to stop the massive 305/30 AR-1's I'm all ears.
Hey bud, nice win!
Do you have R-10's all around? Or do you have R-12's in front?

Exp. Level
5-10 Years
Australia
Hey there,
I'm just like you running 305AR1s here in Australia and I'm running R16 at the front and R10 on the rear and the stopping power is amazing. I can safely reduce by braking distances by extra 50m and these pads will still pull me up.
I used to run Hawk pads and these are on the next level.
Couple of times it felt like there was not enough bite from the rear and the front were doing all the work. Maybe it was just me not being used to them, so I'll see how I go next time and play around bit more maybe with trail braking and modulation.
Everything was new to me on that day, new tyres, new brakes, new seat and harness, new track, new alighment set-up.

Cheers20220717_180459.jpg20220810_172708.jpg20220823_205519.jpg20220823_174343.jpg20220823_174414.jpg20220827_103755.jpg

Exp. Type
Time Attack
Exp. Level
Under 3 Years
Bulgaria
Hey there,
I'm just like you running 305AR1s here in Australia and I'm running R16 at the front and R10 on the rear and the stopping power is amazing. I can safely reduce by braking distances by extra 50m and these pads will still pull me up.
I used to run Hawk pads and these are on the next level.
Couple of times it felt like there was not enough bite from the rear and the front were doing all the work. Maybe it was just me not being used to them, so I'll see how I go next time and play around bit more maybe with trail braking and modulation.
Everything was new to me on that day, new tyres, new brakes, new seat and harness, new track, new alighment set-up.

Cheers

Car looks amazing. What rotors are this I'm on my OEM rotors as well but they are almost gone at least in the front. So I think I will be looking into new pads and rotors.

Exp. Type
Time Attack
Exp. Level
3-5 Years
SoCal
This is my feeling as well and probably 2 piece rotors to put the weight down and to better cool the brakes.
I would skip R12's and go straight to R16's. I used to run R12/10 on my car and they were great but still weren't maximum braking potential. These heavy cars need some serious brakes.
I would've gone R16/12 but I switched to Hawk DTC60 pads as NASA incentives Hawk pads.

Exp. Type
Time Attack
Exp. Level
Under 3 Years
Bulgaria
I would skip R12's and go straight to R16's. I used to run R12/10 on my car and they were great but still weren't maximum braking potential. These heavy cars need some serious brakes.
I would've gone R16/12 but I switched to Hawk DTC60 pads as NASA incentives Hawk pads.
so can you compare DTC60 to R16 which is better I see most NASA guys like Flyhalf are on DTC70 even. My point is that I still want to keep the car kind of street/track car and not full blown race car though the AR-1's are almost R-Compound tires and need Race level of braking to be competitive with them and wonder if R12/R10 combo will be enough to not overheat. I know my track is very brake intensive so obviously R16/R12 may be a better solution but it's not a go to track solution.

Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
Under 3 Years
MD
I second what @Ewheels has said. This is my third year on R12/R10 and will be moving up to R16/R12 combo. The 12/10 combo is great as far as modulation and street ability goes. It does squeak on the street and you might get some looks but that's about it. I caught an amazing deal (cost of shipping) on 2 sets of used Carbotech XP20 which are R16 equivalent. Can't wait to use them in a couple weeks. I am on Toyo RRs so not a street tire. Alessandro is running on Hoosiers though so the DTC70s make sense, but I believe he has switched to CSG pads. AT that point I think its preference. As far as cooling goes, I would look into the brake deflectors from Vorshlag or @GTP . Great cooling solution.

With more aggressive compounds comes harder brake dives so I am hoping to increase front spring soon...somehow

so can you compare DTC60 to R16 which is better I see most NASA guys like Flyhalf are on DTC70 even
I thought that's how they relate to each other but in an old post from Tim at OP Mustang , he said that the 70s are closer to the R16s. Not sure.

Last edited:
Exp. Type
Time Attack
Exp. Level
3-5 Years
SoCal
so can you compare DTC60 to R16 which is better I see most NASA guys like Flyhalf are on DTC70 even. My point is that I still want to keep the car kind of street/track car and not full blown race car though the AR-1's are almost R-Compound tires and need Race level of braking to be competitive with them and wonder if R12/R10 combo will be enough to not overheat. I know my track is very brake intensive so obviously R16/R12 may be a better solution but it's not a go to track solution.
I have been told by many that Hawk DTC70's are for Hoosier-level tire grip and DTC60's are for the super aggressive street tires (3R, A052, etc).
I would assume Gloc R18's are similar to DTC70 so I would think DTC60 and R16 would be very similar.

My DTC60s are fine on the street, they still have acceptable bite when cold but I also don't drive my mustang on the street all that often.

Whether you choose R16 or R12 is up to you. Do you prioritize street use or track use more? Or you could buy a street set and track set of pads/rotors and switch back and forth.
Dual-use cars are tricky; finding a middle ground means you will give up qualities on both ends.

Last edited:
Exp. Type
Time Attack
Exp. Level
Under 3 Years
Bulgaria
I second what @Ewheels has said. This is my third year on R12/R10 and will be moving up to R16/R12 combo. The 12/10 combo is great as far as modulation and street ability goes. It does squeak on the street and you might get some looks but that's about it. I caught an amazing deal (cost of shipping) on 2 sets of used Carbotech XP20 which are R16 equivalent. Can't wait to use them in a couple weeks. I am on Toyo RRs so not a street tire. Alessandro is running on Hoosiers though so the DTC70s make sense, but I believe he has switched to CSG pads. AT that point I think its preference. As far as cooling goes, I would look into the brake deflectors from Vorshlag or @GTP . Great cooling solution.

With more aggressive compounds comes harder brake dives so I am hoping to increase front spring soon...somehow

I thought that's how they relate to each other but in an old post from Tim at OP Mustang , he said that the 70s are closer to the R16s. Not sure.
I'm only concerned with heat I honestly thing that 2 piece and R12/R10 should be good enough. Not a fen of Hawk because they are not that much rotor friendly as GLoc from what I have read but I'm sure they are great pads as well. R16/R10 probably will make going to the track with the car dangerous which is the other reason I want the lower compound.Will figure it out soon hopefully.

Exp. Type
Time Attack
Exp. Level
Under 3 Years
Bulgaria
Whether you choose R16 or R12 is up to you. Do you prioritize street use or track use more? Or you could buy a street set and track set of pads/rotors and switch back and forth.
Dual-use cars are tricky; finding a middle ground means you will give up qualities on both ends.
That is clear but we in Bulgaria don't have such good developed track community as you guys so I only have very few competitive events and they are as we seen last time out dominated by the M2's, M4's and anything BMW. Obviously the Mustang is great car but it's just not competitive to the highly modified for track BMW's. Which is why I want a Dual-use car though at that point is not exactly Dual-use.

Exp. Type
Time Attack
Exp. Level
Under 3 Years
Bulgaria
SEASON 5

Pre Season preparation.

Wow I can't believe I'm starting 5th season with the car. But tomorrow it's the 4th birthday of the Mustang so the math checks out. Last season as we remember I had a lot of issues with overheating the front brake pads so before putting the car in storage I changed the brake fluid to fresh Motul RBF660. And I ordered new Front GLoc R12 from Kenny Brown.
Another thing I noticed on the Ford Fest was that on the Right Left transition on turns 3 and 4 on Dracon the rear cradle is moving so much that this is upsetting the car so I also ordered Steed IRS Base pack.

IMG_1673.jpeg
Went to my friends garage in my home town and did the install. It was a tricky install because my rear bushings are on like it's 4th year so are not exactly fresh and new and don't move as much. Ether way after 1 hour and a lot of grease we finished the install.

IMG_1674.jpegIMG_1675.jpeg

I drove the car back to Sofia and I can say the difference was very noticeable from the IRS base kit just make sure to install straight when you buy the car as this will save you time on the install not like me 4 years later. And the new Brake Pads were stopping a lot more than the R10's as well. The car was feeling fast. Back in Sofia I had a lot going on as I had an event planned for 18.03.2023 - First round of Dracon Speed Cup. So I left the car at dealer to put new 5W20 Oil in the car, Motul DCTF for the Transmission and Motul 75W140 Gear Competition for the Differential nothing beats good maintenance. After that I took the car for an alignment. One thing that also happen this week is that I cached a flu so was feeling a lot under the radar and was not able to talk a lot. This lead to my alignment not been great and my toe settings were all over the place. Though I needed alignment because without the -3 degrees camber there is no way for me to get the 305 AR-1's under the fenders. But the toe settings felt way worst than my previous ones. Ether way with only 2 days left to the event I decided to go with this settings. I installed the Rims and tires the same night a night in which it snowed not the best time to put racing tires on a car. Ether way I was watching closely the forecast and this was the only day with snow the other days were around 50F so the snow melted very fast. On Friday I want to a country tech inspection as mine was expiring in full race trim and I passed with flying colours the guy said this brakes are insane. It's great to have so fast street legal car.

Dracon Speed Cup Round 1 - 18.03.2023

It's always something very exiting in the first event of a new season and watching you guys start your first events the bast few weekends was making me very eager to go back on track. I wanted to have a car ready for track in March for a long time since I usually have technical or shipping issues and start my season in April/May to get a car ready for a March event was a challenge but ether way I registered for the Event and the pre event participants list was insane including some of the fastest cars on the track. 82 registrations but at the end 73 cars were on track. In my class Street Tuning over 3.0L was an 350Z, an Alfa Romeo 156 2.4JTD and an E36 2.5T So I thought with no M cars there is a good shot for me to get on a podium to looking at past times of the cars the E36 had an 1:06.9 last season which is solid 0.6 seconds better than my time from the Ford Fest. Ether way I was thinking that the car is fast and I can surely do 1:06.9 so my goal for the day was to get to 1:06.9. At 6:30 AM I wake up and got on the road to the track. There is always something so nice in driving against the Sunrise in a race car with Country blasting from the stereo on a way to a new season. I arrived at 8:45 because the stop for gas took longer than expected. Just 15 minutes prior to the event. Still I manage to get my regular race number of 288 for that competition which was nice. In the tech inspection they asked me if I did anything to the motor I said no it's completely stock motor EU stock as well (420 hp). So I found a spot on the paddock and finish preping the car which was lowering the pressures to 1.9 bar (27 psi) installing the transponder and putting my racing number on:

IMG_1706.jpeg

And started waiting for my sessions. During the briefing I noticed that the M4 that was first last time showed in a set of fresh AR-1's 275F/305R there goes my hope for 1st place still I wanted to do 1:06.9. It took a few hours for the first session to come at 11:00 AM so this was shaping up as a long day. The rule on the track is that in order to save time as there is a lot of cars they try to put 10 cars on the track as a minimum so my session was Street tuning between 2.0 and 3.0L and my class Street Tuning over 3.0L which mean that the gap in the session between fastest car and slowest car was 15 seconds and since this is 2 km track finding a space to do a clear was a big challenge.

First session

First session was also really cold 41F and with still cold tires everyone including me was sliding a lot I manage to find a spot but just as I was going for my 2nd fast lap I was black flagged. At that point I was puzzled and like wtf the car don't look it's having an issue. Turns out someone didn't record my transponder number correctly so it was not working. They fixed it very quickly. But I lost my place in the traffic again. Here on such events you can pass whenever you like you just need to be careful but there are no point by's as in the USA. So you can imagine what a chaos it can be. Ether way the car get to temperature eventually and in my 4th lap for the session I did a new PB of 1:07.272. Which after the first session put me 2nd in class just behind the M4 that did 1:05.373 and infront of the E36 2.5T who did 1:08.3. The car was feeling faster. But the brake pedal was getting soft in pit area so I was wondering if I'm boiling the fluid though I never hear the R12 scream so that was strange and was making me nervous if I want to continue pushing the car in the next session. All my friends though was fallowing via chat and were encouraging me to continue driving my goal was still 1:06.9 at least. I decided to go watch the other session since there are another 10 15 minutes sessions to my 2nd session for the day or 2 and a half hours and this is without red flags and taking cars out.

Fastest Cars session 1

I got to the stands and watched some amazing time attack. Most importantly the record holding (0:57.709) Evo X was on the event as was the record holding FWD Honda Civic and a very fast Opel Astra that was doing (0:57.790) during the week coming to the event all of this cars are driven by Pro Drivers in the local Rally and Track championships and they have separated class and the budgets for this cars are mind blowing not IMSA level mind blowing but this are not cheap cars the Evo X is like 800 WHP monster. So the first session for them was insane this is the first time I seen all of the cars on track I only seen videos so far. But to watch this cars live is something that just bring that sparkling in your eyes and will to continue doing what you are doing. The Astra was first after the first session with 0:58.909 and the Evo X broke a trans or suspension or something and only did 0:59.818.

Second Session

With this lovely view was time for my next session it was starting to drizzle but lucky till my session it stopped and track was dry. This time I manage to get better place in traffic and my 2nd lap was the fastest of the session with 1:07.123. Tried a few more laps but traffic or driver mistakes preventing me from improving. However the M4 did a new PB of 1:04.439 and the E36 did a new PB of 1:05.910 so my dream for 2nd place was crushed brutally. I didn't understand how the E36 found almost 3 seconds in this session. Ether way my brakes were feeling fine and since it was cold outside my CHT were never over 219F (104C) so the car was running great so great that I was picking up 3 km/h on the big straight and few km/h everywhere on the track. The car was feeling like it's 1 sec faster than last time out but I was not able to string a lap together.

Fastest Cars Session 2

With another 2 hours waiting I got to lunch as was already 14:00 and back to the stands to watch the second session of the monsters in this 2 hours whatever issue the Evo X was having was fixed I guess is nice to have a crew and a lot of spare parts on hand not shipping brake pads for a month surely is nice. The wether was warmer than the morning session so naturally the lap times improved the Astra did 0:57.752 (0.043 off the lap record) and the Evo X 0:58.960. Again seeing this monsters of a cars doing laps is the best motivation to go and drive the hell out of your own car on track. It's also amazing at that level how even the smallest mistakes cost them seconds off there best times. To get with a home build Astra which in reality is an Audi S3 Quattro Chassis with an Astra shell on top and who knows what engine and trans in it to 0.043 seconds off the lap record hold by a Monster of an Evo X with 800 rwhp surely embodies what the spirit of Time Attack is all about.

Session 3

That been said the weather was now a warm and sunny weather with 53F air temps and around 60F track temps so was time for my final session for the day. This time I decided to move to the back of the pack and give myself as much space as possible. But was caught very fast by the E36 which was lined up first and that mean I had to push through the traffic it took me 7 laps to do so but I finally manage to string what felt like my best driving ever unfortunately in this session my phone battery was so low that the video decided that it don't want to record itself. Ether way I manage to do a blistering fast 1:06.565 for a new PB 1 second faster than my last time out with the car. Steeda do say that the IRS base kit works but I didn't know such a sample part could make such a huge difference to lap times I'm sure that part of this are the lovely R12's as well but still that's amazing progress for what feel like my lowest amount of effort season preparation in a while.

IMG_1757.jpeg

A friend of mine that I drove to his prom (last year) took this lovely photo of the Mustang it's a very clear example of how everything on the car works in unison to provide the levels of grip needed to do such a lap with a stock 420 hp motor. I'm now sure that the car can do 1:05 in this trim so I guess I will pause the mods for a while and see where my driving could take me. The M4 and E36 didn't improved there times in this session and the other to cars in the class were over 1:10 so this was good enough for 3rd place on the podium. I know we are not doing this for trophies but still been 3rd when you did your best driving ever is such a bitter sweet moment.

IMG_1754.jpeg

But still It's amazing how just 4 seasons ago I was just making my first steps in getting to know the car and going on track and did 1:19 while yesterday in the wake of the 4th birthday on the car and 5 Season We did a 1:06.565. This was my lap number 443 on Dracon in 4 seasons. I feel a lot more connected and attached to the car than ever before and even though I do want to order a Dark Horse I'm not sure I can start another build before I see where this one can go. There is still a lot of possibilities in front and a new season is always refreshing and feeling the hope for a better season than the one before it or for bringing something new. I don't know where the season will take me but I just want to wish to all of you to have an amazing Race Season 2023 and to enjoy your race cars just as much as I surely enjoyed mine yesterday.

Last edited:
Exp. Type
Time Attack
Exp. Level
Under 3 Years
Bulgaria
Excellent man.
Did you fix the Ohlins issue ? And was this your first time in the Motul DCT? How do you like it ?
Didn't bother with the Ohlins issue the springs don't move much on track so far so good. The car has Motul DCTF in it since the trans rebuild 3 seasons ago and so far is doing it's job which is the reason I use it trying to change it every 10 000 km's or so but this one was in the car for 13 000 km's. I have some new issue when engaging 1st but hope it's nothing major. Overall the car is insane and this is how it look after the bath today:
IMG_1771.jpeg

And the Front Right tire (the one that does most of the job):
IMG_1770.jpeg

By the looks of it I might rotate front to rear before the next track day. Otherwise this will be gone. But the wear is great.

JDee

Ancient Racer
Exp. Type
W2W Racing
Exp. Level
20+ Years
5 miles from Mosport
+1 on the Motul DCTF in the MT82. Works better than anything else I've tried. The last recommendation I saw on Ford's service website was to use their DCTF in the MT82. The Motul product meets the Ford DCTF fluid standard. I've got 2 full seasons on the last trans rebuild using Motul DCTF and it seems to be hanging in there so far.

TMO Supporting Vendors