The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

2018 Mustang Gt intake on a Boss motor ? Good or bad idea?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Im running a 2012/13 Boss motor in a 2000 Mustang Gt road race only car. The stock Boss intake beauty cover plate had to be removed to clear my cobra r hood. It clears, but only by a c hair. The car has bbk long tubes and a JLT 107 mm cai on it. Aed road race conservative tune that is spot on. I would love to be able to run a stock profile hood on my car or something shorter profile than the one I have. Visibility I think would be a lot better with this change. Im not a midget at 6' 0.

I picked up a complete 2018 Mustang GT intake manifold, fuel rails, injectors, and TB. I liked the hood clearance potential, power gain potential, and the price point of this manifold. I didn't wanna fork out the big $ for the cobra jet intake and tb, cai if I have another option. I assume I can reuse the Boss fuel rails and injectors?
Is it worth changing over to the 2018 Mustang GT intake manifold ? Run it as is? Or there are a few shops that can port the manifold for some gains. One is kinda "local" about 1.5 hours south of us in Tucson. Is it worth it? I don't want to sacrifice performance and go backwards in this process if I do go down this path. Who has done this change over? Any suggestions would be great. Lotta confusion from what I have read already.

Last edited:

Grant 302

basic and well known psychic
I think it's only worth it if you're spinning over 7,500 RPM. I think somebody did the swap here. Not a lot of gains, but the resonant nodes shifted about 180°, or opposite of the Boss. I don't recall any hardware issues with the swap, aside from lack of control of the CMC stuff, but I wouldn't be concerned with that for road race applications.

Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
5-10 Years
Philly Metro Area
I am planning to install one on my 2014 GT early next year. I bought the ported version from Lethal Performance who had it ported by 1320 junkie. I plan to use my stock TB. I will also be installing L&M intake only cams, stock Boss 302 exhaust cams, and 302 springs.

You might have to run with a Gen 1 throttle body such as the OEM 80mm or 90mm, BBK 85mm, or Accufab 84.5mm. Not sure but check with your tuner.

Also, I've found that you either have to grind down the one bolt on the water outlet or use a 15-17 water outlet that is lower profile. That's what I'm planning to do.

Also installing the CobraJet oil pump, MMR billet crankcranks sprocket, MMR chain guides, tensioners, and secondary timing chain while I'm in there too.

Here's a thread with some info.
http://www.svtperformance.com/threads/2018-intake-manifold.1155845/

Here's a video. Take a look at the narrative under the video in YouTube where the guy states the two hoses he needed:

Hoses you need to buy: Dayco 71359 for Evap Solenoid Dayco 71376 for Brake Booster

Thank you Grant 302 and Coz. Current Aed tune has my Boss motor spinning to 7700 or 7800 redline w 100 octane race gas. I try not to run it all the way to redline to keep the oil temps down. But sometimes I do. Most tracks we run on are 3 rd gear tracks. With a short 2 nd gear and a brief 4 th gear run. Car has 3.73 gears and a t-56 tranny.
Im just curious if there is any power to be gained with the 18 ported manifold over the Boss manifold... I have no plans to change out cams on this Boss motor.
The big manifold shootout that VMP did on you tube back in July was on a 17 Mustang GT with a nice set of headers on it. I think the 15-17 Mustang Gt motors are way underrated and make more power than the Boss motor all day long. So its been hard to find a apples to apples comparison on this.

Grant 302

So its been hard to find a apples to apples comparison on this.

It's going to be. I don't see a lot of Boss owners ditching their intakes for a ported '18. Somebody needs to be first! ;)

But with solid, big gains on Gen1 GTs the '18 intake still has to be worth something on a Boss engine. There was a lot left on the table with the relatively small plenum of the Boss intake.

One more way to look at it is that the ports are big enough that Ford considered it worthwhile to add the CMC plates back in. They wouldn't have done it otherwise.

I think the change makes sense for you even if only for your hood clearance issue.

ArizonaBOSS

Because racecar.
Arizona, USA
You may be able to look at this in a roundabout sense.
On the GEN 2, there have been a number of different intake comparisons. Stock, BOSS, CJ, GT350.
CJ has had the best performance of all of the intakes, with the GT350 intake a very close second.

How similar is the 18+ manifold to the GT350 manifold? Or could you do the 350 manifold instead? IIRC the benefits of the 18+ manifold are similar/same performance to GT350 but at lower cost. Don't quote me on that but I think that's what the cliff's notes are.

Grant 302

Exactly. That's why I can rationalize with 'ricer math' that there should be gains available with the ported '18 over the Boss manifold. My guess is in the +20 to +25 rwhp range on a Boss engine + LT and that should be a conservative guess.

A comparison like this would have been more helpful if they over-layed more plots on one chart.
https://www.fordnxt.com/tech-storie...-fight-to-become-top-dog-on-the-chassis-dyno/

A lot can be inferred from other charts with the related swaps, etc.

TMO Supporting Vendors