The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

2018 s550 gt manual mpg on track?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Exp. Type
W2W Racing
Exp. Level
20+ Years
Marietta GA
Trying to get an idea of real world mpg for a full road race s550 (2018) w/ manual transmission and the 373 gear. Ditching the saddle tank for a fuel cell and trying to determine what size I will need to finish the sprint races we do. I have been told around 4 mpg but don't know if that's low or accurate. Motor is all stock for the class - even will run a restrictor in one of the 2 classes it will run in. Please only real world answers - I can guess all day but trying to solve this before it goes testing and realize the cell is too small lol. Thanks!

Last edited:
Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
Under 3 Years
Chicago
My 2022 manual w/3.55 gears gets around 3 mpg on e85. I was burning around a half a tank of e85 in a 20 minute session at Road America.

5-6 laps + Out Lap on a 4mile track and was adding almost a full VP jug (6 gallons) after each session.

Exp. Type
W2W Racing
Exp. Level
20+ Years
Marietta GA
so now I need to find a 20-24 gal cell that mounts in the spare tire well. got some measuring to do. Thanks all

Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
3-5 Years
Raleigh, NC
5.9mpg!! holy Sheet! I am happy with 3.5mpg with 98. Do you stay below 7000 rpm?
There's a few things:
1: that was with the Ford Power Pack 2 tune w/93. Not one of the fancy-dancy high performance tunes. We'll see this weekend what I get with the new motor and HP tune.
2: yes, stay below 6,750
3: I am slow. 😢

Mad Hatter

Gotta go Faster
Santiago, Chile
Hey! if your having fun and getting 5.9mpg while your engine loves you, what can be bad about that? I saw on your build thread that you had an engine fail on you before, that always leaves a scar.

Well my dream is still ST national lol. I mena is almost impossible but who know lol
Otherwise a fuel surge tank is a better option IMO. Cause you have 16gal oem tank plus 1gal surge tank.
Oh well that could happen. Good thing about that is with all the yellow flags you won't need to worry about fuel for a full 40 min lol.

I would still do a surge tank probably especially since you have one. I did with mine

TMO Supporting Vendors